“Lovely location”
Review of Orocco Pier

and 1 more site!
Orocco Pier
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The location is really beautiful. The restaurant and bar have fabulous views of the Forth and the bridges. The room and en-suite shower room were clean and modern and the staff were friendly.
We were in a street facing room on a Thursday night and the street noise woke us at 6.30am. You could also hear the music from the bar very loudly in our room. We went back down to the bar until they closed to have some more drinks so didn't bother us, but not for those looking for a agood night's sleep! I would have marked the hotel's location as excellent but the street noise was so loud I marked it down to good. I would recommend requesting a sea view if you like peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 December 2011

We have ate here quite a few times and have never had anything but a very brilliant plate of food. The portion sizes are perfect and the mix of flavours used in the dishes are fab!

The staff are friendly and attentive but not overly so. Definitely recommend this restaurant and believe me I am v fussy about food and where I eat but have never been disappointed here.

Love the makeover, so intimate and stylish!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I have never written a review before but I felt compelled to do so after my stay at Orocco Pier Hotel.

First of all, I would say that the service staff in the bar during the evening, and the staff serving breakfast in the morning were very good. The bar was packed at night, with people staying at the hotel and people going to Orocco as a destination pub/restaurant. The staff were friendly even though they were kept on their toes constantly. Food took a long time to arrive every night, but we didn’t mind as we were catching up with family and friends. The food served in the hotel was inconsistent; it was either very good or not edible.

We were attending a wedding and were looking forward to our 3 night visit to Scotland. Unfortunately, our accommodation was a shared basement apartment outside the hotel. We spent three nights there and between both families we were changed £950 for the privilege of having only one bathroom! We had to walk down some very steep steps to the apartment at night and it did not have an outside light. We had three young children and it was not a safe decent to the front door!

On one occasion, leaving the hotel to go back to our apartment, we had to walk pass a street fight, lots of police around and lots of drunks! Not a nice experience for us or the kids!

I would not go back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Winn R
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Recently went to the restaurant to celebrate my son's graduation. Staff brilliant and attentive and the food was wonderful. An evening to remember especially as they were kind enough to give us a table by the window. We will be back very soon!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Having stayed and eaten in Orocco Pier several times before, we thought we would be safe with another stay as a goodbye as I work overseas.

We found a good rate, I think maybe now that's why we were put in room 5, cold, noisey and small. We checked in, never got a hello or a welcome just a "do you have a credit card to check in with". Having worked on a reception before, we were not asked if we wanted dinner reservations in the restaurant, no information on anything.

We ate in the Boathouse which is right next door, food was lovely, nice and quiet as it was a Monday evening.

Back to the room that evening and the aircon was very loud, there was a lot of noise outside, no view. Myself and my partner never slept well at all that night, in the morning around 7am the housekeeping team had the hoover on chatting loudly. Brilliant.

We checked out at 11 and got no how was your stay, no can I do anything else for you just "have you had breakfast?" we continued though to Antico to be waiting 20mins on someone to take our order.

Now, having seen 2 hotel owners and 1 general manager and not one of them to say hello or good morning, something wrong with that. But if I'm being honest, I really don't think they give a toss. Simple resolution, we won't be back.

Room Tip: Not room 5.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank helzio
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed at Orocco Pier on 20th November as I was attending a wedding at the venue. This is a wonderful venue and the staff were excellent for the wedding. The wedding was in the Fuschia suite and it has fantasic views of the Forth Bridge through the floor to ceiling windows. The Wedding Breakfast was delicious and we had bacon butties and potato wedges for the evening buffet.

Our room was number 1 just at the top of the stairs for the guest bedrooms and it was a lovely room finished to a high standard. Loved the extra touches of the Molton Brown toiletries and the wide choice of food and drink in the mini bar.

We had breakfast in the restaurant the next morning overlooking the Forth Bridge - Orocco Pier have done well to make the most of this special location.

My only 2 negatives for the hotel were the carpet on the main stair to the bedrooms has obviously seen a lot of traffic and could do with cleaning and secondly because my room had a sitting area outside this was used for all the laundry (understood it would be there when we checked in as we were allowed to check in early (2pm instead of 4pm) but also there when we went down for breakfast before checking out and does not give a good impression as makes it look like they want to turn the room around quickly

However, overall these negatives did not spoil the enjoyment of the whole day and we are planning to go back for lunch at a later date and I have recommended the venue to my sister who is getting married next year

Room Tip: Room 4 is a family room with 2 double beds and room 3 has a fabulous balcony to enjoy the views
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I have to say I don’t normally write many reviews but having had a poor experience I felt compelled to write. I went here for dinner on Saturday 17th September to celebrate my birthday, my partner took me and we were looking forward to a nice celebration in lovely surroundings. I have to say I was disappointed though. Our table was late, we were taken to the wrong table and the service was slow and as a result you could tell the staffs were rushed off their feet with a busy bar and a function on downstairs. The food was below average for the price of what was on offer, things were swapped without consent and we were half way through our main before the wine even arrived. Having eaten at more expensive and less expensive restaurants I will be giving this place a wide berth in the near future purely down to value versus standard. May I add I also find it rather cheeky my partner sent a letter of complaint and to date there hasn’t been any response. Poor experience from a place which promises to deliver high standards and excellent delivery!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PamelaMG
oroccopier, General Manager at Orocco Pier, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to feed back about recent visit to us. I am sorry that we have not come up to par in a few areas, particularly as it was your birthday!
Unfortunately, we seem not to have received your letter of complaint. We deal very quickly with letters of complaint and I would love for you to contact me directly so I can help to rectify some of the areas of concern. I hope you can see from previous reviews that we do our best to make sure our customers are very happy, and when they are not, that we are pro-active enough to redeem the situation for our guests.
Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.
kind regards,

The Staghead Hotel
The Staghead Hotel
#4 of 4 in South Queensferry
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh -...
#1 of 1 in North Queensferry
#74 of 151 in Edinburgh
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#90 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Orocco Pier? Share your experiences!