“Wedding guest”
Review of Orocco Pier

Orocco Pier
Reviewed 27 January 2013

A beautiful venue. Staff were excellent & the evening meal was lovely. We had an executive room (which was ready early for us) overlooking the Forth the beds were really comfortable , plenty tea & coffee but not much wardrobe or drawer space.The en-suite was down 3 steps it had a large walk in shower plus a bath & large fluffy towels the only thing we didn't like was there was no door! Breakfast was waiter service no cereal, fruit or yoghurt but a full English breakfast which had definitely been fried we had to ask twice for our fruit juice

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Business dinner for an slightly early Burns night supper. This was a corporate function held in the lower dining/function room which was great with good views of the Forth rail bridge.
I've never had a full Burns Night dinner but there was the traditional bag pipes, haggis, veg, 'addresses' to the haggis, laddies etc.
The food was good although very very slow at arriving at the table.
Luckily for the staff we were all back on the coach at 11:15pm !

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My husband and I have just stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, we booked through the Internet so I wasn't expecting anything to much of the room

However when we arrived we where shown to Room 4 , which was a large room with the most wonderful views of the Rail bridge, I also loved the fact that the large 3 windows all opened fully.

The price we paid was extremely cheap so I reckon we must have got a free upgrade, maybe as the hotel was quite

The room itself was ok I have stayed in a lot better, but I've stayed in a lot worse, but it was clean and it had everything we needed

The staff are all lovely and especially Gregor who manages the Antico bar and restaurant, he always came over for a chat, but was never to imposing, and I noticed he was very attentive to all the people who came through the doors.

We never ate in the Samphire so we cant rate that, though we did in the antico and the food was very good, and the breakfast we had both mornings was extremely good and plentiful.

We both love visiting South Queensferry, and will always return to Orocco Pier even if its just to have one of their strawberry Daquiris, which I totally recommend

Room Tip: Room 4 with fantastic views of the bridges
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2013

This was my first visit to Orocco Pier after having heard good reports from friends. Our welcome on arrival was warm and throughout our stay the staff in all areas of the hotel were friendly and attentive.
We had a very pleasant room with a view across the Firth. The room was rather too hot even with the heating turned off and unfortunately was above the bar which meant we were very aware of the noise from music in the bar area downstairs which continued until 1am. I was then woken at 6.15am by the 'boom boom' of a someone playing music in an adjacent room. Luckily this was turned down to a lower level after 10 minutes.
At dinner our starter was enjoyable however everyone in our party was disappointed to different degrees by the quality and presentation of their main courses. This was pointed out to the staff and it was noted by chef.
At breakfast we waited 45 minutes for our breakfast order to be served however the staff did advise us that there would be a wait due to the kitchen being very busy .
It should also be noted that there is no parking at the hotel and a nearby public car park has to be used if unable to park in the street outside.

Room Tip: Rooms in the older part of the hotel I understand are not over the Antico bar so music from bar is n...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BigDontour
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My partner and I took his parents here on a Saturday night. The menu has something for everyone which is why we chose this restaurant initially. From the moment we walked in the staff really looked after us and continued to be attentive throughout our meal. The food was brilliant. The seafood was exceptional and reasonably priced. My steak was overcooked but once I informed the staff, they were very apologetic and a new steak was with me within a couple of minutes. The overall experience was very good. Great ambiance and a superb view of the river- book a window seat if you can.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will be visiting again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I have been to the bar for food, the first of which was ok with no issues.
We decided to go for a drive and grab a late lunch. Upon arrival we were given a nice table and drinks arrived very quickly.
We then ordered our food..... The wait began.
Two things aggravated waiting for the food, as I can appreciate places are busy and the atmosphere was nice so I would have forgiven them, for not these points.
A couple were sat down 15 minutes after we ordered. They recieved their food after 10 minutes of being seated. We were still waiting.
We were then asked by a school boy of a waiter with no character or care for what he was employed to be doing. He asked if everything was ok and if we needed anything?? Aye our food please! Waiters tend to ask that question after the food is served.
After another 20 minutes of waiting we got up and said we were leaving. The manager came and said so sorry but the burger is thick and takes long to cook, and it's currently on the grill.

45 minutes!!! Is it a cows leg we're getting on a bun.

The three reasons above are why I will never be returning and will be dissuading anyone else from going to this average style no substance restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank whoisthisguy24
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I had been to Orocco Pier on numerous occasions for food, drinks and a wedding. I decided to take my partner for a romantic stay very recently....and was so disappointed. The food and service cannot be faulted, in either of the bar areas, and the setting is just stunning. The room we got (number 7) was tiny, dark with the view of a roof and wall. Now granted, when I booked it it was over the Internet and the photo of the room looked ok, but at £110 I expected more. There was also a wedding on, and where the room is located meant that you heard everyone coming up the stairs. This I could have coped with, but when the beer lorry arrived at 8.15am and the kegs were rolled down to the cellar, I had had enough. Even the fab breakfast didn't lift the cloud of disappointment that I felt about my stay in the small, dark and noisy room.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room seven
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh -...
#1 of 1 in North Queensferry
Murrayfield
Murrayfield Hotel and House
Murrayfield Hotel and House
#35 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Orocco Pier? Share your experiences!