“eating in informal area is OK-ish; restaurant might be a better bet”
Review of Orocco Pier

Orocco Pier
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“eating in informal area is OK-ish; restaurant might be a better bet”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Came here for food and a drink. There seem to be several different parts to this place which can be a wee bit confusing. This review is for the pub meals area, I guess you would call it. Not sure what the official name is. On the far left as you look at the building from the street. We didn't know there was a restaurant until we were leaving!

Generally this is pretty much exactly what you would expect from any reasonably modern pub that serves food in a city. Usual selection of international type food and slightly posh burgers.

Some particular plusses are a slightly wider range of food and drinks than usual, and the view over the bridges. The staff were friendly and attentive. Busy, and atmosphere was nice.

Disadvantages were that, after a wait, we were given seats that had no view of the bridges and although they were OK, we could have been anywhere really. To be fair this was because the place was busy, and the staff did check if this was alright. More importantly the food was slow coming, and wasn't that great. Partner couldn't finish her noodles which were average at best, and my veggie burger with cheese was OK but nothing more really.

I would come here for food + drink if I lived round the corner, but not worth the trip from Edinburgh.

Importantly it looks like there is a separate restaurant. This might be completely different.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Been here a couple of time now and never been disappointed, our visit recently was just after walking across the Forth Road Bridge, my partner and I stopped for a well earned drink and some food which was very filling, tasty and value for money, the steak and caramelised onion sandwich is highly recommended and the view is unbeatable with the Forth Road and Rail Bridges within touching distance , we shall be back soon.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
leeds
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Wow, we had such a great weekend at Orocco Pier. We were staying at the hotel for a wedding and were blown away by the location of the hotel and the fantastic views. We arrived at the hotel pretty early in the morning and the lady at reception very kindly let us check in early so that we could get ready for the wedding. Our room wasn't ready so they gave us a complimentary upgrade to one of the executive/deluxe rooms which was a very stylish room with fantastic views of the bridge.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful throughout the duration of our stay, even offering us a lift to the station when we weren't able to get a taxi in time, and also posting out a watch that I had accidently left in our room - above and beyond!

I would recommend Orrocco Pier to anyone looking for a relaxing weekend in a beautiful and romantic setting.

Room Tip: The executive rooms overlooking the bridge have fantastic views
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed Sunday lunch immensely. Table over looking the Forth and view to Bridges.
Didn't wait any time for a table despite the cafe being very busy-cafe is a bit Ida disservice- as the room is more Linda Restuarant but less formal.
Excellent soup of the day with a warm roll, haddock chips and salad all first class.
All staff very pleasant, all in all a great experience.
Def return again.

• Stayed June 2013
Lisburn
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We travelled from Ireland to celebrate our son's birthday and booked Orocco Pier based on customer reviews. We booked a table for 6 and were delighted to be positioned by the window with a spectacular view of the two bridges on a beautiful summers evening.

All the courses were cooked and presented beautifully and my son was delighted by his seafood platter. Don't order it unless you have a particularly hearty appetite! Lobster, mussels, clams, crab, langouistines in a delicious sauce were greatly appreciated. The scallops with black pudding, onion mash and apple sauce were a particular hit with our party. The portions were generous but some of us managed to sample the sweet menus as well.

Our waitress Sheena was very attentive and looked after us all evening.

All in all an enjoyable experience and one we are happy to recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I live in South Queensferry, so I can't comment on the hotel part of the Orocco Pier. I can however, comment on the restaurant/bar and I must say, I thoroughly enjoy it and do frequently visit the establishment. The most memorable trip I had here was when I went with my dad to celebrate my 30th birthday, and yes, while we had to wait for a table, we didn't have to wait too long but the table was definitely worth the wait as we got some amazing views of both bridges (road and rail) being lit up at night.

Food is of excellent standard, and you can tell a lot of care and attention goes into the preparation of the meals there (I can highly recommend the chips - really good!). Presentation is really good as well, which shows that the staff are very passionate about their product.

The bar there is really good too - good range of beers and in terms of cocktails, the staff really know their stuff and do make some very good recommendations if you are a bit of neophyte to the cocktail scene

Finally, if you do end up visiting South Queensferry for the Loony Dook, then this place will get very busy, as it is the establishment that has the best view of the dook itself and as such, early arrival would be highly recommended.

All in all, I do love the Orocco Pier, and it's definitely one I take friends/family to whenever they visit and it is a must when you visit South Queensferry

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Second time staying at this hotel. Room wasn't as big as last time but still had everything required. View from the window is fantastic, although there was some bird dirt that covered part of the window. Food was great but maybe a bit pricey. Was a little bit noisy at night but as there was a wedding on I think most places would be. Lovely little place and will definitely be back again.

• Stayed May 2013
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#88 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Orocco Pier? Share your experiences!