“Sadly not what it was!”

Orocco Pier
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Sadly not what it was!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

What a shame this lovely bar/restaurant with fabulous views has gone down hill so quickly. The Antico menu is now sadly lacking and maybe this was why it was so empty on the last Friday in the month !

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Visited here a number of times now, we get great service each time and the food is always delicious. It's great for weddings and parties too as our friend was married here last year. The view over the water is stunning. Looking forward to returning again.

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were recently married at Orocco Pier on the 22nd of September this year and both had a fantastic day. The venue is absolutely stunning and we were fortunate enough that the weather was sunny and warm on the day also. This meant that we could have our pictures taken on the beach and surrounding streets.

The staff were friendly and the service we received was excellent. Our meal was delicious and our guests commented on how lovely the food was. Drinks were reasonably priced and our evening buffet of fish and chips was great.

Most of our guests stayed overnight and received breakfast the next next morning having thoroughly enjoyed there stay.

The only comments we could make were that the service for breakfast was quite slow the following morning despite antico being quiet and the rooms in which we stayed were extremely warm overnight.

All in all we had a fantastic wedding day as did our guests. Many commented on how lovely the hotel was.

My husband and I will definitely be returning soon.

Thanks very much to Jason, Allison and laura for making sure our day was fantastic.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kirk28
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We attended a relative's wedding and stayed here for one night. The hotel is modern and tastefully furnished, centrally located in Queensferry, with a spectacular view of the River Forth and Rail / Road Bridges making it an ideal wedding venue. Our room was modern, clean and comfortable, at the top of a short flight of stairs, and the facilities throughout were of a high standard. Parking however was extremely limited with most guests having to rely on public parking albeit a short walk away.

Our biggest disappointment was the general service. During the wedding, there were long queues at the bar and, at one stage only one bar person was serving whilst the other two bar staff were gossiping with the DJ. When I asked one of them who was serving one cheeky chappy said "she is" pointing across to the one barmaid that was struggling to manage the growing queue alone. When I told them that this was simply not good enough both promptly returned to their duties with the cheeky chappy making a B-line for me every time I subsequently returned to the bar.

Breakfast was equally disappointing. Our table of 6 waited for 40 minutes for our breakfast to be served and when it finally arrived, my eggs and bacon were cold. The coffee was stewed and the tea was served in small coffee cups with us having to catch the eye of a waitress every time we needed a refill. Check out was equally unimpressive with a stone faced young woman, with no personality, simply going through the motions, with no mention of " how was your stay" or any other form of conversation come to that.

We were left with the impression that casual staff had possibly been called in to deal with the wedding. However, if these were full time staff then management need to give some serious thought to staff training on service and customer relations.....and quickly. It's a shame really. This venue is excellent with some superb facilities only to be let down by the quality of service.

1 Thank YoohooWales
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My partner and I enjoyed a fantastic meal here, the staff are very smiley, friendly and attentive without being overbearing.
I would definitely recommend the mussels in the Thai sauce to any seafood lovers, they were so fresh and huge and the sauce was delicious and very spicy. The venison was particularly good too, cooked perfectly but I could have done with a slightly bigger portion for the price of it.

The only downside for me was that the wine was very expensive, nearly £8 a for a large glass, in hindsight, I probably would have been better of buying a bottle.

Its a gorgeous restaurant and I will be back very soon, however I would save it for special occasions since a little dearer than some of the surrounding places but worth the money for a special evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I had the pleasure of attending my Nieces wedding at orocco Pier on Friday 4th october.I must admite I was a little worried what to expect at this venue with a lot of mixed reviews on hear but I have to give the place a five star rating the wedding was superbly done and the meal was fantastic. The one main problem is the parking I had to park my car some distance from the hotel.The staff were very friendly and helpfull and what a fantastic view of both the Forth Rail & vehical bridges yo have as well as the river forth.I do intend going back for a meal and see how that goes but as I said this is a Fantastic place to have a wedding Highly Recomend

Room Tip: Try to get there early so you can park your vehical as near as you can