“Underwhelming”

Orocco Pier
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Had heard good things about this place, so had high hopes. It was ok, but no better,

Went for food with colleagues and it was average. Service was poor and had to chase things up several times - slow drinks, slow clearing the table. There was also a terrible stench coming in, as the smokers were congregating on the deck outside and a door or window were open, giving us the full strength nicotine experience - lovely!

Good view, no doubt about that onto the river. Drinks were expensive, but probably no more so than other places. After our meal we went to a few other pubs in south queensferry and then came back in here - to the bar, which was quite busy and in fairness had some character. I wouldn't hurry back to the place, as there is a lot of competition and better places to go.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank David M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We visited Orocco Pier recently and although the service was excellent, I found the food wasn't as good as expected for the price. I had coconut and pineapple curry with chicken dumplings and although the curry itself was lovely, the dumplings tasted shop bought and had a weird texture.
The cheesecake also tasted shop bought. Very disappointing. Would perhaps give it another try but won't be in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela J
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I have been to Orocco Pier a few times and have never been disappointed. Food and service always first class. The setting is great especially if you can get a window seat with views over the Forth. A little on the pricey side but worth it for the quality and location.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bodie76
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Second time visiting Orocco Pier in the last two months. Service was very poor, staff did not have knowledge of menu or drinks. Food not impressive, considering the prices they charge. You are simply paying for the view!

I used to look forward to visiting, as it used to be such a lovely place with a great menu. So disappointing to see it's being allowed to go down hill.

• Stayed December 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I recently came for lunch, excited to be showing our friends such a lovely place for food and views. Unfortunately I was sadly very disappointed. We found the food over priced, below average in quality and the surroundings shabby. It had clearly been a busy day in the restaurant however this should not excuse the messy carpets/tables.

I booked via the Internet and several days later I was asked to review my experience which I did. I'm sad to say my email was not acknowledged by the management at orocco pier, while I don't need anyone to necessarily agree with me I do however expect a degree of common curtesy :(

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cazzy212013
West Lothian
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Myself and my husband are frequent visitors to South Queensferry. To be honest we've always avoided the orocco pier as it looks a bit 'posh' from the outside and with the stunning view we've always thought it would be a bit to pricey. What a lovely surprise we had yesterday, decided to treat ourselves. I had a cream scone and coffee, absolutely yummy. My hubby had a chargrill chicken burger, with lovely fat chips, salad and beetroot coleslaw and a pot of tea all delicious and all for the very reasonable price of just under £16....very well run a lovely atmosphere and view...Magnifico

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Airdrie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My daughter got married here 25 October, I always knew she had good taste, but this excelled.
From the moment I nervously first stepped through the entrance door with my kilt on ( a first for me ) I needn't have worried.
There was always plenty of staff / organisers on hand to advise and direct you throughout, there was always someone there if required.
Whoever organised this is good, really good.
Everything went like clockwork timed to perfection in a very light hearted atmosphere, excellent.
Really pleased with the way the organisers and staff carried out their duties on the day.

The food was excellent and service like I've never seen before, I even made a comment at the time that it was like military precision with the waitresses coming in and out in a line of 5 or 6 at a time serving the tables.
Same next morning at breakfast, plenty choice, good food and good service.
The bar service was excellent, no queues at any time with plenty staff behind the bar serving.
Better service than most bars and restaurants I've been in.

The place itself is stunning and the extra trimmings associated with a wedding just made it that bit more special.
The view over to the rail bridge is really something and the function suite certainly makes the most of that view, looks great at night too when the bridge is lit up.
After the meal we went outside for photos with the bridge as the backdrop.

Have stayed in many hotels but this beats them all.
Our spacious bedroom was something else.
The modern décor is fantastic, with a large split level bathroom like out of a designer magazine.
There is a handy public car park just round the corner.

I was last to leave the function suite at the end of the night and as I turned around looking at the empty room, still smiling, a lovely sense of happiness swelled up inside me.
For this proud dad this was perfect.

Room Tip: Pick any room at the rear looking to the rail bridge.