“Nice hotel shame about the food!”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel shame about the food!”
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I stayed here the first week of March for a night on a business trip. Like stated in many other reviews the outside gives the wrong impression as the internals of the hotel are quite stunning.
My room was comfortable, warm, quiet...pretty much everything you wish from a hotel room.
I had dinner that night which i thought was mediocre at best, the veal was overcooked as was the chocolate fondant. I also found the veal to be expensive for what it is, even if it wasn't overcooked. I didnt have a starter so am unable to comment.
My colleagues were split on their opinion 70/30, the 70% not been overly impressed.
Might have caught them on an off night. I would stay here again but would probably go into the city centre for a meal.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

While I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel so much, I was also equally concerned at your experience in the Grill at Dakota. It is as frustrating as it is disappointing to learn of your experience 3 weeks later, as all I can offer is a retrospective apology. I would far rather that we were in a position to do rectify the situation there and then, and perhaps replace your dish with an alternative choice, which we would always be more than happy to do. Regardless of whether your dish was overcooked or not, the fact of the matter was that you were disappointed by it, which is one disappointed guest too many for our liking.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota in the near future and that you are able to have a far more positive Grill experience when you do.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Ross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Hebrew first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I arrived with a sense of dread to the Dakota following my early departure from a horror experience at the Marriot Dalmahoy. Tired, in desperate need of rest, a clean room, hot shower and a quiet place to sleep following tramping around the globe for a friend's wedding.
I walked into an ultra cool interior, friendly helpful unimposing staff, a cosy chair in the room to curl up with a book, a cup of tea and a biscuit. Shower and bathroom spacious and more than enough to take away the tiredness of dancing till the wee hours and long haul flights.
Bed comfortable and clean, pillows aplenty and the ambience of silence beckoned nothing but blissful sleep.
Breakfast lovely - chef did the Scottish eggs to perfection and a proper cup of tea!
Been recommending this hidden gem to all since my stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Ranjini050
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Dakota Edinburgh, I was delighted to read so many positive comments about your Dakota experience.

I was also sorry to hear of your "horror experience" elsewhere, but equally delighted that you were able to relax when you arrived at Dakota after what sounds like a momentous journey - I hope your friend appreciated all your efforts!

Thanks again and I hope that we can welcome you back to Dakota at some point in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I pulled up to the glass tower rising out of a Tesco parking lot with a sinking feeling of dread. All doubts were erased as soon as I pushed open the lobby doors. I immediately though "oh, yes!"
The hotel is so fantastically stylish from the rooms, lighting, art and restaurant/bar. Dinner was delish. The worst part of my stay was having to check out out catch my early morning flight.!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Caron S
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting such a positive review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Forth Bridge.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did, and in particular your post heading, which I don't think I could have written any better myself!

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota in the near future.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Thoroughly amazing place, excellent service, amazing food, fantastic ambience and excellent value for money.

The service really is second to none, looking really forward to my next visit.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GarretBurns
London
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We recently stayed at Dakota for one night before flying out of Edinburgh Airport. Looks very ordinary from the outside but the inside is really excellent. Rooms very great and surprisingly quiet despite being close to the road. Service and the restaurant a real stand out. If you dont want the city centre and need easy access to Edinburgh Airport then the Dakota is perfect

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for leaving such a positive review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Forth Bridge.

I was delighted to read such all round glowing feedback on the hotel and that you enjoyed your stay so much.

Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed over hogmanay 2010 and had a great stay. On arrival we were very impressed with how nice the hotel was, very well decorated and really 'homely' which is perfect when it is cold and snowy outside! The rooms were huge and really nicely decorated, very romantic! It was all very clean with everything you might need like ironing board, kettle etc with teabags, hot chocolate, biscuits etc. The staff were always very helpful and willing to go out of their way for you. Breakfast was amazing, such a huge selection! I would definitely recommend having this included with the room as it is lovely plus the hotel is a bit out of the way so not a lot of other options. The location wasn't ideal but we knew it wasn't close to the city before we went, but it is a great escape. The only problem we had was that on arrival we were told breakfast was included with the room so we had it everyday, however it turned out it was not and we were made to pay quite a large bill at the end despite our argument, however they did take one days breakfast off of the bill. Overall though I would definitely recommend it to a friend :)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I stayed at the dakota for a week on a business trip. The welcome was very nice with a complimentry drink as you check in, cocktail of the day. The service from the staff was very professional and very nice. The room was a standard room but was very nice for what it was. Very clean which is important to where ever you stay. You could tell this hotel takes hygene very serious.
The resturant was lovley and the staff extremly nice, i hadnt reserved a table before hand but they were more then willing to get a table ready for me. The food was extremly good probably the best fish and chips i have had for a few years. If you want a change if your staying for a week or so you could always go to frankie and bennys which is 2 mins away. Only thing i could say is the menu at the hotel needs to change every once in a while. But saying that i think the fish and chips were so good you could eat that a few nights in a row.
Location of the hotel isnt great but if you stay at the dakota then your paying for the qaulity and cleanniess more then any thing else.
Hope you enjoyed reading this i will be writing more reviews for hotels in edinburgh over the next few months, look out for my name on the title to read more.

Jay

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read such glowing comments anyway, but the fact that you stayed with us for a week is even more pleasing. Consistency is something we strive for at Dakota, and is essential in being able to meet our guests ever increasing expectations, time after time.

Thanks again I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
#13 of 148 in Edinburgh
The Chester Residence
The Chester Residence
#1 of 148 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!