“Amazing”

Dakota Edinburgh
Dubai
“Amazing”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Perfect hotel, great food, nice/helpful staff, clean an comfy

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to sum this up so succinctly and effectively!

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the near future.

Ross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed for 2 nights with my husband. Got a really good Internet rate and the hotel was really lovely. Train 15 minutes into Edinburgh with a really regular service. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Edinburgh who don't want to pay over the odds prices for dated rooms and want to be out of the hustle and bustle. You also have the benefit of going into South Queensferry too for some lovely views. Lovely rooms, good bar/restaurant and pleasant staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted that your comments were so resoundingly positive and also that you were so pleased with the location of the hotel too. A pleasure to read!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Really great hotel if you like modern, stylish hotels with exposed internal brickwork, moody lighting and great service. Great bar area with table service and good restaurant for both dinner and breakfast. Complimentary mineral water in room. Great TV and great bathroom with monsoon shower.

Staff were very good. If being a little picky it was not clear to me when checking in (as room not booked by me) that breakfast was not included, nor in fact when I went to breakfast as menu did not show a price. Also thought springs were a little evident in the bed.

Would love to stay more often as a business traveller in the area around 70 nights a year but sadly it's a bit too much for the company budget.

It is one of the best hotels I have stayed in within the UK.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post such positive comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read such an all round glowing report of the hotel and service that you enjoyed.

If you were keen to stay with us more often then we would be more than happy to discuss the possibility in more detail. If you were able to contact the hotel on 0131 319 3690 and ask for Rona Baird, she would be able to discuss room rates with you.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to Dakota in the near future.

Seattle
Reviewed 23 July 2011

It was a last minute decision to stay at a hotel by Edinburgh airport at the end of the week in Scotland, and luckily I found a good deal through TripAdvisor. I was nicely surprised and really enjoyed the modernness of the hotel after staying at various small B&Bs and a castle. The hotel exterior, when I first saw it, gave me an impression of a black box (the windows are very dark as well). It's fairly dark inside, and very nicely decorated. The room is modern looking and shiny (with lots of stainless steel in the bathroom and decoration on the wall). The words to describe the hotel would be something like, chic, blue, cool, steel, dark, and modern.

The hotel is roughly a 15-minute ride to/from the airport, and there is free airport shuttle service. The food at the restaurant is well presented and quite good. I had a light dinner at the restaurant, and had the continental breakfast the next morning, both are very good, though I think the price for the continental breakfast is a bit high. Service all around was courteous and professional, though I could sense a bit of the snobbish attitude as I wasn't dressed up or spending like the other guests (even my room price was more than 50% off due to the Internet special).

I would recommend this hotel to those who like the luxury and have a bit of money to spend, and for a frugal traveler, look for the specials from the Internet and don't be shy to ask for the service that you want and deserve. It is a chic hotel, and service is good.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's website for the special - it's worth it!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota.

I was delighted to read that you valued Dakota so much and that our proximity to Edinburgh Airport was convenient for you.

Regarding the point you make on an element of our service, please be assured that we go to great lengths to promote the art of service across the board, and we absolutely do not distinguish levels of service or attention to any particular group or guest.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to Dakota at some point in the near future.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Entering Dakota gives me an instant desire to relax. This is aided by the greeting you receive at reception which is always friendly without being casual, so perfectly pitched – a bit like our stay.

When we arrived our suite wasn’t ready. This was not an issue for us as we settled in reception and watched various people go by. Again I was struck by the receptionists (there were three on duty) as they moved around the area. All are beautifully presented in their black dresses which mix professional business and class.

We had booked a suite which I have to say was a really great room – the right mix of comfort and special without being vulgar or opulent, so again class is the word that comes to mind. I do have one small issue with the suite – the en suite is exactly the same as you get in a standard room. Perhaps a large bath would have made it as special as the rest of the suite. It’s a small grumble though as ultimately, I felt all rooms should be like this!

Relaxing in the bar with the fine choice of cocktails was a perfect way to spend the afternoon. The service we received was again perfectly pitched – friendly and efficient. It really is a wonderful area to relax in and enjoy your drink. I did however think that the use of the high tables and stools in the main part of the bar area was not a good choice, more relaxed, comfy seating would seem more appropriate I think.

Dinner was enjoyable, with the food well prepared. I did feel there had been little variation in the menu from our previous visit (sad to say that was a year ago, I made a mental note to visit more often), but that did not detract from the quality. However I found the puddings on offer to be somewhat uninspiring, but the sorbet I chose as compensation was tasty paradise.

The following day breakfast was its normal standard at Dakota – quality ingredients supplied with a friendly yet professional manner.

We finished our stay with a late checkout, such was the need to make the most of the wonderful suite we had and we were genuinely sorry to depart.

My review of Dakota on our previous stay a year ago did find me making issue with the room, the service and the food. This visit, while I may have made three negative points (en suite, menu choice and the seating arrangement in the bar), was nothing short of perfection. I know you can’t please everyone all the time (that includes me), but if you own/manage or work in the hotel industry then visit Dakota and see how it should be done.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Whenever I receive any notification from Tripadvisor that we have had a recent guest review, I always get a little jolt of excitment in anticipation of what lies ahead. Once I had signed in and read your post title of "How a hotel should be.", I will be very honest with you and let you know that I was positively beaming! That made my day to read your comments - so thank you very much!

As I'm sure you can appreciate, there isn't one element of Dakota that hasn't been designed or considered in enhancing our guest experience, so to have comments such as yours bestowed on us was a fantastic compliment.

Thanks again and I hope we can go someway to improving your experience the next time you stay with us, however difficult that may prove to be!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

felt like royalty,so calm and comfortable.pleasant place to unwindxbeen in other hotels near to it 5 star accomodation at dakota.dont even need a car to see the sites u can walkinto south queensferry.they even have a curtousy minibus.wold go again .going back in october.

Room Tip: shower head estays at one heightam only 5ft 2 and our room faced motorway.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nightut
Dear Guest,

Your comment that you "felt like royalty" was a fabulous compliment to the hotel and the team, I have therefore made sure that your comments have been shared amongst the whole team, as they all deserve recognition for such high praise. I was also delighted to read that you were able to use the Dakota as a base to explore Edinburgh, with the added advantage of getting away from the hustle and bustle once you had finished exploring!

Thanks again and I hope that we can roll out the red carpet for you again in the near future!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Great Hotel, we both loved it from the moment we arrived. The decor and the atmosphere it creates is very welcoming. The room was lovely and very comfortable and all the staff were very attentive and professional.

Great access to the city with a 10 min train journey, which we did on both days

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mijulieai
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 15 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Your comments were very much appreciated, as you obviously enjoyed your stay at Dakota. I think your comment title sums it up nicely!

I hope that we can welcome you back to Dakota in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
The Dunstane Hotel
#13 of 149 in Edinburgh
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#85 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!