“Dakota South Queensferry October 2011”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We were given a gift of an overnight stay at the Dakota South Queensferry one Saturday in October. The hotel is located in a retail park in South Queensferry, a couple of miles from the Forth Road Bridge, and a 15 min car trip into Edinburgh. The hotels public spaces, are very dark, as is the trend with hotels nowadays but on a cold, and wet Scottish Saturday, it gives a cosy and welcoming feel. The staff on the front desk were very friendly, and we were allocated a room on the fifth, and top floor. The room was nicely furnished; with a double bed, large desk and a wall mounted flat screen TV. There is no mini bar in the room, but there are tea, & coffee making facilities, and complimentary bottled water. The bathroom was spotlessly clean, with a large shower instead of a bath. The hotel also has a gym on the 1st floor, but I’d already been that day so didn’t test it out!
We dined in the hotel restaurant that evening, and the food was very good. A lot of seafood on the menu, but it did win “Scottish Seafood Restaurant of the year” recently! Again the staff in the bar and grill were very friendly and attentive, despite it being a busy Saturday night.
For the money, the Dakota is very reasonable, providing a welcoming and comfortable stay with great staff and good food. I’d recommend giving it a go.

1  Thank mjlove
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

That was a very thoughtful gift for you, as you obvously appreciated it and thoroughly enjoyed your stay at Dakota.

I hope that you get to enjoy Dakota again in the near future, maybe if you start dropping hints now then somebody will do something about it for your Christmas!

There are newer reviews for Dakota Edinburgh

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Tried this for a change following a busy day in Edinburgh but did want to experience the journey out of Edinburgh heading north the following morning.

Location fitted perfectly for my trip M90 to Aberdeen although it ma not be everybody's cup of tea as it next to a main road ( not that you notice the noise) & in a retail park.

At £89 (room only) it was quite a bit over budget for my company expenses, but logistically it compensated for the cost.

Modern well run hotel with excellent facilities.

Room was good, well designed & clean. Comfortable nights sleep. Enjoyed food but can't comment on breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear guest,

I was delighted to read such a positive review of the hotel and I hope that you can persuade your company to let you stay again in the near future!

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Great service, excellent staff, fantastic value for money, clean room with great view and 10 out of 10 for grill restaurant.

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor folowing your recent stay with us, and for the glowing report too, that was fabulous to read!

I hope we can welcome you back to Dakota in the near future.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

My wife stayed at this hotel on the day before our wedding and I joined her on the evening of our wedding. This being the biggest day of our lives did not seem to mean anything to this hotel, and I’ll detail the reasons why.

In total we had just under ten rooms booked, one room as mentioned for us and the others for guests from our wedding party. A week before our wedding I called up to check on our room, expecting this to be complimentary upgraded on our wedding night, and was told I would have to pay for this myself. To say I was unimpressed by this is an understatement but needless to say I went ahead with it anyway.

After our wedding I found out no extras were placed in the room to wish us well, not even a card. This was also my first chance to see the room. Despite the cost, I was unimpressed by the size of the suite. The décor was nice and the showers were quirky, however I was not too keen on the towel rail burning my knee at the toilet or the pillows going from a foot deep to an inch deep when you lay your head on them.

At breakfast, a small spread of continental breakfast items were available and a cooked breakfast. I chose the cooked breakfast and received a small plate with one of each item. After this plate I was given a bill for £12 for the pleasure!

We then left the Dakota we travelled through to Glasgow where we stayed at the Radisson Blu. The difference in service and treatment was remarkable. The staff couldn’t do enough to help us, provided us with upgrades, gifts, etc.

Upon returning home I sent an email to the hotel detailing my disappointment. I did not receive a reply.

Overall I was unimpressed with the hotel. They showed no personal touch and I felt we overpaid for what we received. Avoid!

2  Thank SeanFrew123
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to read that your evening of celebration was memorable for the wrong reasons.

Our intention is always to deliver a warm, friendly and attentive level of service, and I am very sorry that you felt let down by the fact that you were not offered complimentary upgrades or gifts.

Whilst it is regrettable that we did not live up to your expectations on your evening of celebration, it would be remiss of me not to take the opportunity to offer you and your wife our very best wishes for the future.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

I hadn't been here for a while and had forgotten how excellent it is. This time we had lunch. The modern decor is luxurious and works. Service including greeting is welcoming and professional. I had Omelette Benedict which was superb. We were given bread fingers with a really nice warm olive paste. This has to be one of the best eating places around.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent lunch with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

To read such a complimentary review of the grill was fabulous, although we are a hotel we truly believe the restaurant to be the heart and soul of any good hotel, so to have this vindicated by you in such a fashion was delightful.

I hope that you are able to continue enjoying what we do long into the future.

Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed for one night in September to celebrate our engagement, and wow! It was wonderful! We were mega impressed with the decor when we walked in, very 'up to date' and fancy! Our room was lovely, huge bed, beautiful bathroom and yummy strawberries and champagne on arrival! Although we didnt have our meal in the Dakota (we went down to Orocco Pier in South Queensferry) the breakfast was out of this world! Cant wait for a night in the Dakota again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you had chosen to celebrate such a special occasion at Dakota, and of course, if you are getting married in the area, it would be fabulous to see you again for your wedding night!

Reviewed 10 October 2011

just got back from a 1 night stay at the Dekota and we were really happy with our stay. We had a party to go to at the hotel so thought we would stay the night, the room was lovely and clean and the decor in the whole hotel is very nice and trendy! only 1 small issue was the bed wasnt very comfy a bit too hard for my liking.Also in all the bedrooms on the wall there is a & sign, not sure what for or if means anything but i liked it! I would definatly stay at the hotel again and recommend to friends and family.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

It was a pleasure to read such a glowing report of Dakota and how much you enjoyed your stay.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
New Town
The Principal Edinburgh George Street
Old Town
Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!