“Dakota Edinburgh, poor service!”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Dakota Edinburgh, poor service!”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I have been to the Dakota several times now and the last few occassions the service in the grill has been very poor. My husband and I stayed the night on 11/11/2011. The room and reception staff were great, however the grill staff are very disorganised. They could not answer simple quetions I had about the food or wine. They brought our mains out before the starters, and forgot our sauces for the steaks, and two of the sides. We has to point this out to them, and were left waiting several minutes for them to come. We ordered a bottle of wine at £24, but were charged £40. I had to ask to speak to the manager, who was very sory and deducted a large part of the bill.

We will not be back, as this appears to be a common problem now.

2 Thank Blackwoods_11
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear guest,

I was sorry to read that you had a less than positive experience in the grill on Friday night, I will make sure that the issues that you highlighted are addressed by our grill manager, Bernhard, who I believe you spoke with on Friday evening.

However simple mistakes are, any accumulation will always frustrate the recipient exponentially, so I can well understand your position. I only hope that previous visits to Dakota will reassure you that such circumstances are an unwelcome rarity for us.

Ross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Northumberland. UK
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This is our 2nd stay this year and again, overall a fantastic place to have a relaxing stay. Check in excellant, luckily we had prebooked a table in the restuarant. Food was outstanding and we thought there were more "run of the mill inexpensive choices" than before but quality of food and presentation out weighted the price. Only downer was when the "senior waiter" (in a suit rather than a waistcoat) came to ask if we were enjoying our meal, he was looking around and obviously not listening to our reply!
Later cocktails in the lounge area very nice indeed.
A good nights sleep was had by both of us in a pleaseant relaxing room on the 4th floor.
Breakfast buffet and choice of hot food very good, the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs I had and traditional breakfast my husband had well set us up for our journey home!
Check out was quick and a pleasure, the young lady was exceptional and I am only sorry I cant remember her name to give her the credit she deserves.

1 Thank lizcee
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us again, following your stay earlier this year.

It was also a pleasure to read your feedback on the food that you enjoyed too, we always aim to do the simply things brilliantly, which you seem to have appreciated.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota again in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I love Dakota Forthbridge and always try to squeeze in a stay when visiting family in Edinburgh.

The reception staff are very friendly and quick to help if you need anything. Last time we stayed we were given a cocktail sample whilst checking in. The reception area is lovely with it's comfy seating and open fireplace through to the bar area.

The rooms here are modern and comfortable, with everything you need. Nice comfy bed, good range of tv channels, tea/coffee making facilites, big desk for working or getting made up (with a nice big mirror). And a lovely bright modern bathroom with a powerful rain shower and also a handheld shower - great for ladies who might not want to get their hair drenched.

The best bit about the hotel though is the restaurant and bar. The cocktails are so yummy (and no more expensive than anywhere else would charge) and the food in the restaurant is always delicious. We have always loved everything we have ordered. The service is attentive but not intrusive, and the staff are chatty and friendly. A good balance. There is always a nice atmosphere in the restaurant with there being a mix of both hotel guests and also locals coming in for celebration dinners etc. Some people have complained about it being pricey, but you are paying for the lovely surroundings and atmosphere not just the food, and it is worth every penny.

Breakfast is great, with a small continental buffet for you to help yourself, and also cooked to order items. You definately wont leave feeling hungry.

Cant wait until my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the forth bridges
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read such an exceptionally positive review of what we do at Dakota, and especially the fact that you found the overall experience to be such good value.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Dakota in the near future.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

Booked in fo a meal as we only stay 15 min away.
First impression was a bar grill of upmarket classification. Seating was prompt. As restaraunt was only 30% full for a Saturday night.
Menu was somewhat constricted with the usual suspects done with a twist on veiw. We ordered Sirlion steaks.when asking what it comes we were told to pick from the side menu at extra cost. Mmm ok fries,carrots and peppercorn sauce.
The server forgot to ask how we would like the steaks cooked.A basic error. Service was ok if haphazard drinks way to expensive( it's not like your in Edinburgh, infact there is nothing apart from a Tesco, frankie and bennys and burger king next door)sweet was well presented while I had Coffee. The was in excess of £75.00 which included only one alcoholic drink. Tried it but won't be back.

• Stayed November 2011
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to dine at Dakota.

I would like to apologise for the basic service errors that you experienced, as there is little or no excuse for that. I have passed your comments regarding value to our Chef and Grill manager, its something that we work very hard to deliver, as its something that no one can afford to be complacent about these days.

Scotland, UK
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I've always wanted to stay in one of the Dakota hotels ever since seeing their dark shapes and big blue lights when i've went past.

i always thought and heard these hotels were quite posh and stuck up. That's not really my thing, we just wanted to go somewhere that was quite cool and unusual and that's just what we got.

From the minute we walked in to the minute we left. The hotel smells just like the A and F stores which i'm a bag fan of. The reception lay out is amazing as is the modern fire place they have,

The rooms are all individual which was very cool. Ours had the bare wall exposed on the window side and was quite like a New York apartment. The bathroom is normal hotel sized but designed with no bath but a massive shower, ideal for us, we're not really bath people.

The reception staff were great and gave good tips on where to eat. We already knew as we only live 20 mins from the hotel but nice info all the same. Also loved the offered a free French martini. Nice.

Will definitely be going back here. Very impressed. Only slight thing that let it down was check in did seem to take ages, over 15 minutes but everything else was perfect.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

I was delighted to read that having been aware of Dakota for so long, we were still able to impress, upon you coming to the hotel for the first time. Its an old adage but valuable nonetheless, that you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I hope that you are able to enjoy Dakota time and again in the future.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Right from check-in, this was a great experience. The receptionists were welcoming and efficient, and what an amazing touch - a free cocktail sample. I have never ever seen this done before but touches like this set the Dakota far above its competition. Having tried the cosmopolitan sample, I bought one in the bar with my colleagues later on, so it's obviously an effective strategy!! I also had orange juice, and it was delicious, tasted freshly squeezed.

As a business traveller (and I travel most weeks) I really appreciated the free wi-fi - it's a nice touch that you can even pay a bit extra and have a higher speed connection. I stuck with the free wifi but it was fine for sending and receiving emails. Also, there was a network LAN cable in the room which also gave a good connection.

The room was delightful - a standard double bed with a good amount of space, lovely furnishings and bathroom, and spotless throughout. Loved the giant cushion on the bed, too! If you do stay, look out for the bizarre aeroplane 'windows' in the lift - the designers have put an LCD screen behind showing blue sky and clouds which I found very amusing.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening, and although it was busy, the service was friendly and efficient. Again, a lovely touch of bread and dip on the table to have before starters. The menu is a little bit seafood-heavy, so I went for steak and chips. The steak was very thing but quite big nonetheless, and amazingly well cooked. The chips were excellent. Steak and chips, to me, is something every restaurant should be able to get right, but they often don't. The Dakota gets full marks. Main courses ranged from £12.95 up to £30.00 or so. Starters were about £5-8.

Breakfast was also very good - although I thought the choice of cereals was a bit lacking, they made up for it with pastries, yoghurts, and the cooked breakfast was great. It's cooked to order, so perhaps not if you're in a hurry, but on the other hand it does mean it's fresh and hasn't been sitting on a hotplate for an hour going soggy or drying out. I didn't try it but salmon and scrambled eggs are on the breakfast menu - if it'd been a weekend I would have gone for it!

Although the Dakota isn't 'in' Edinburgh, it's very handy for the airport, there's a massive Tesco on the other side of the carpark, and yet my room was peaceful and quiet. Truly I'd recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

I enjoyed your comments on the grill in particular and I couldn't agree more with you that Steak Frites should be something that any restaurant can get right. We always strive to do the simple things brilliantly, with our Steak Frites being a prime example.

I hope that you get to enjoy Dakota again on your travels, and that we continue to impress on all levels for you when you do.

Gumusluk, Turkey
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Lovely clean and friendly place with a touch of luxury. Everything worked, even the A/C (not that common in a UK hotel). Great bar and restaurant with excellent food and some very nice wines. Staff, decor and furnishings made the place even more welcoming and enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you so much taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much, and in particular the food and wine, which we know can make such a difference when away from home. There's no place quite like home, but we are working on it!

I hope that we can welcome you back to Dakota in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
The Dunstane Hotel
#13 of 149 in Edinburgh
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#84 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!