“Flying visit”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Pretty good value hotel well placed from North South and West. Very friendly staff and room simple but effective. Worth a visit. Restaurant lacking a bit in choice but good sea food.

1  Thank ButlerSommelier
ldavy, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a response on both our hotel and restaurant sites.

I know that our Food & Beverage Manager has offered a response on our menu offering, and I hope that this inspires some confidence to return to the Grill in the near future.

I am pleased that your room was comfortable and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Dakota Edinburgh

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Lovely hotel with fantastic staff. Stayed for one night but will definatly return. Check in was pleasant and the lounge bar area was very warm and welcoming. Service from the bar was excellent; didn't had to look for someone to serve us once. Same can be said of service in the restaurant. We had booked for dinner and were glad we had as restaurant was fully booked. Great atmosphere and lovely food. All staff in the hotel were very attentive, personable and very smartly dressed. Room was, modern, spacious, very well equipped and very clean. Tea/coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board and hairdryer all very welcome. Had breakfast following morning and again service was excellent as was the food on offer for a very reasonable price. Although hotel is outside the city it only takes fifteen minutes on train from the station at Dalmeny into the centre of the city. Taxi to station was around £4.00 and return train ticket was £4.10 each. No taxis waiting on our return from Edinburgh but a quick call to reception at the hotel remedied that very quickly. You can also leave your car at station car park for free. All in all a very enjoyable stay and excellent service at a remarkable price!

1  Thank Thebairds
ldavy, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay.

We go to great lengths to ensure that we deliver a hotel experience that is memorable for all the right reasons, and I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay at Dakota.

It is also very pleasing to hear that you will be looking to return, and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We decided to go away for the night and loved this hotel..... The room was really nice and sooo clean....Staff so friendly and helpful and made it so welcoming..... Had a gorgeous meal and then sat in the lounge area in front of the open fire having cocktails... Perfect Day and night and got for amazing rate on late rooms.com... would definatley recommend to everyone................... the only thing that could have bettered this is if had a swimming pool and spa are to chill in also.......

Room Tip: go to late rooms.com to see if cheaper rate available

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you were made to feel welcome by our staff. I know that the Food & Beverage team will take great pride that you had such an enjoyable experience in the restaurant and that the cocktails in particular were very well received.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Arrived at this hotel after a very busy day of meetings.

Gorgeous reception area very welcoming and stylish. Excellent service from the girls on reception, arrived in my room it was gorgeous, spotless and a huge TV, by comfy bed, just what I needed after a heavy day with work.

Ordered room service and 20 mins later it arrived, it was lovely, steak sandwich it was cooked to perfection, couldn't fault it.

Amazing nights sleep, woke up refreshed.

Breakfast was lovely, could not fault the service. All in all it was a wonderful hotel and will definitely return.

Classy, stylish and reasonably priced hotel, I loved it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you were so well looked after by our fabulous reception team and that you were very comfortable in your room.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota again in the future.

Reviewed 19 November 2011

We stayed here for one night in Oct before we flew from Edinburgh airport. We absolutely loved it!

The receptionis.ts and all staff we encountered were helpful and friendly. We liked the little touch of a cocktail taster as you booked in

The interior was gorgeous - modern but very plush. Our room was very comfortable and well designed.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent - especially my friend's seafood platter which had to be seen to be believed!

We took a walk down to South Queensferry,and what a lovely little place that is, with some very welcoming pubs.

I think its a real shame the hotel doesnt offer the facility to leave your car and shuttle you to the airport as this would be a real attraction for those flying from the airport.

A cheeky tip is to go to Tesco next door for a cheap cooked breakfast!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay before flying out from Edinburgh.

It was also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and in particular our seafood platter. Our showpiece dish certainly seems to catch diner's attention!

Reviewed 15 November 2011

I've just seen the review below as I was about to post my own...

We also ate at the grill on Friday night - and yes it was disorgansied - the staff themselves indicated that they felt quite overwhelmed - but I don't think that really gives a full picture of the experience last Friday.

The way my partner put it was that everything was great if you asked the right person but if you didn't - people seemed a bit lost.

I agree with this as some staff were obviously professionals assisted by some less experienced staff who maybe didn't know how to handle difficult nights. They also seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe training and teamwork is the issue not disorganisation?

We were left sitting for half an hour past our booking time with no comment whatsoever on when we would be seated - but once we had pointed this out we got first class attention (as did those around us) and really delicious food and lovely if ridiculously priced drinks ( actually I don't drink in hotels that often so was probably ok - the quality was excellent).

Room was small and perfectly formed - the darkness mentioned was romantic to us rather than gloomy.

Breakfast delicious although the cooked offering was a petite portion by most Scottish standards it meant you could enjoy the delicious pastries/cheese/charcuterie from the buffet!

All in all a great stay with lovely helpful staff - a bit more training and would be perfect.

p.s location was great for us as were visiting Fife - it's a bit far out for Edinburgh if you don't have a car but still a lovely destination with good train and shuttle bus connection. Edinburgh is so overpriced though I would definitely consider it esp if on a romantic break where the hotel quality is important.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your stay with us last week.

I was delighted to read your comments, particularly in light of what was a difficult night for us in the grill. We know the root of the issues that presented themselves on Friday evening, and your feedback will certainly be addressed.

I was also pleased to read that you appreciated the location of the hotel, as I couldn't agree more regarding the city centre, sometimes value can be skewed against "convenience".

I hope that we can welcome you back to Dakota again in the near future.

Ross

Reviewed 12 November 2011

I have been to the Dakota several times now and the last few occassions the service in the grill has been very poor. My husband and I stayed the night on 11/11/2011. The room and reception staff were great, however the grill staff are very disorganised. They could not answer simple quetions I had about the food or wine. They brought our mains out before the starters, and forgot our sauces for the steaks, and two of the sides. We has to point this out to them, and were left waiting several minutes for them to come. We ordered a bottle of wine at £24, but were charged £40. I had to ask to speak to the manager, who was very sory and deducted a large part of the bill.

We will not be back, as this appears to be a common problem now.

2  Thank Blackwoods_11
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Dear guest,

I was sorry to read that you had a less than positive experience in the grill on Friday night, I will make sure that the issues that you highlighted are addressed by our grill manager, Bernhard, who I believe you spoke with on Friday evening.

However simple mistakes are, any accumulation will always frustrate the recipient exponentially, so I can well understand your position. I only hope that previous visits to Dakota will reassure you that such circumstances are an unwelcome rarity for us.

Ross

New Town
The Principal Edinburgh George Street
Old Town
Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!