“Excellent for business. Forget about the location, first class.”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent for business. Forget about the location, first class.”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I often stay at the Dakota for work purposes and admit that when I first saw the big black glass box in the middle of two rainy windswept motorways I was not impressed. But as soon as you walk through the curtained doorway into the cosy and fantastically designed lobby I changed my mind.
Reception are friendly, helpful and efficient and the rooms are a good size for the price and cleverly designed to optimise space with clever touches like drawers under the beds for extra towels etc. The rooms also have a good sized desk if you are staying there for business.
The restaurant is also top notch with a great selection of steaks and fish (not so great if you are a vegetarian I suppose) and a three course meal is very good value. Again the decor of the restaurant is also very good with subdued lighting and plenty of space between tables and a good bar area as well. The only downside is that solo business travellers tend to get seated across the room from each other which means you are staring at each other every time you look up.
The breakfast is very good with a huge selection which finishes off a great stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Hebrew first
Falkirk
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed at the hotel on Friday as a surprise nite away for my wifes 40th Birthday , on arrival the hotel was lovely , staff were friendly and a nice relaxed atmosphere . My wife and i enjoyed a few drinks in the bar/reception area and the service was pleasant .

However the following morning was nothing short of a disaster , after having to give the one bath towel that was supplied in the room to my wife and myself having to use the one hand towel to dry myself from our showers, i was standing in my underwear and my wife completely naked apart from the towel around her hair , a male member of housekeeping opened the door and came into our room , he got a full frontal view of my wife much to the mortification and he simply about turned , no attempt at an apology and walked back out , this reduced my wife to tears. I went down to reception to complain and when i returned to my room my wife informed me someone else had tried the door .

I then received a phone call from housekeeping stating that our door card had been handed in and this had caused the confusion , a complete fabrication of the truth , we were then offered a complimentary breakfast , but my wife was so embarrassed by the incident that she just wanted to check out and go home . She went staright to the car having to pass the receptionists who knew about the incident. I paid the bill and accepted the apology and the promise of the manager being in touch in the next day .

When i reached the car i checked the receipt and found out that for my troubles they had overcharged me for my stay . I went back in and complained about this only to be told i had room service , i replied £25 is a bit steep for an extra portion of fries . She then realised that i had been overcharged for the room .

My wife had always looked as we passed the Dakota and said she would love a night in it . She has had a bad couple of years with close family deaths , and this was a chance at a wee lift for her spirits .

However the amateur antics of the staff completely ruined what was meant to be one of the best nights of her life .

I held back on this review to give the hotel a chance to contact me , but 2 days later still no word . So i feel left with no other option than to warn other users of our treatment .

John Brown
Falkirk
room 522

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
24 Thank John B
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Dakota crashes and burns

We went to the South Queensferry Dakota with some reservations as our last family meal my Birthday was a disappointing affair but we thought as a family anyone can have an off day.
So we went last night Sunday the 11th for our family Christmas meal seven of us, Two people suffer from celiac and Lactose intolerant .The rest Good eaters.
But from the start the staff did not seem to care about us or even if we were in the building, as we had reserved a seated area near to the open fire so we could gather and talk before our meal which was booked for seven O’clock. Quarter past seven we decided we better go through to find our table with drinks in our hands, when the Dakota first opened you were told of your table is ready a waiter would collect your drinks and lead you to your table. None of that this time.
As I said two our party were unable to eat wheat or dairy products but they asked the Lady waitress to help and advise of what was on the menu to give them a choice , but she had no idea as she was suggesting cheese and dairy products which my guest could easily spot .At this stage we thought OH NOT AGAIN.
This went on for over ten minutes and we all got a bit frustrated at the constant going back and forth.
It has to be said that when we did choose our food it arrived quickly and was good there was no complaints by any of my guests to the quality of the starters.
Main course were Ok as three of us had the Steak Frites which was waver thin and none of our steaks were cooked to what we asked for and at £12 odds very disappointed in this.
And the other really disappointing thing was the lack of service for our drinks we had to stop and ask for our drinks to be served to us, the restaurant was not busy so we couldn’t understand their lack of service.
So we decide as a family to call a halt to our meal straight after the main course and ask for the Bill, which came to £198, and we all collectively said NEVER AGAIN.
So to sum up poor customer service lack of interest in the guests requirements which left seven adults who were looking forward to our Christmas family meal very disappointed and angry.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank EdinburghBoy121
, Food & Beverage Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your dining experience, and furthermore, for taking the time to do so on both our Hotel and Restaurant profiles on Trip Advisor.

I always feel that when responses to reviews are written in a generic, repetitive form, this signifies not only a lack of imagination, but perhaps a lack of conviction in the overall message. As such, I felt I really ought to offer an individual response on both of our sites. I apologise if there is any repetition.

I was bitterly disappointed by your comments regarding what should have been a special occasion. I can understand your frustration at receiving a poor service on the back of a previous conception that your birthday meal was less than inspiring. Sadly, it seems we have done little to restore the balance of faith.

We thoroughly reviewed all the matters that appear to have detracted from the enjoyment of your visit, and I honestly believe that we are a better restaurant for the critique you offered. I am only sorry that it appears to be too late where you are concerned.

Though it may seem crass to suggest it, I do also feel that your experience was not representative of the more common experience our guests receive at Dakota. Comment has often been passed on how knowledgeable and attentive our staff are. Quite how we seemingly got things so badly wrong on this occasion I am at a loss to explain.

It never brings me any pleasure to read that valued guests will not be returning. However, on this occasion it seems we will have to accept your wishes.

If you do ever have a change of heart, please do not hesitate to contact us, as we would dearly love to have the opportunity to redress the balance with you.

Warm Regards,

Ewan Grant
Food & Beverage Manager
Dakota Edinburgh
Scotland
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business conference. Beautiful hotel, excellent service, fantastic rooms. The only downside was the utter lack of vegetarian options at mealtimes. I understand that the hotel had been advised that there were a number of vegetarians within the party but we seemed to be an after thought. I was particuarly shocked at the lack of any 'veggie' options at breakfast, this is unusual for a 4* hotel catering to a mixed market - espeically as there was a rather large supermarket over the road where they could have picked something up to feed us.

Unfortunatly this one thing left me slightly disappointed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank CreelBoat
North Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My second stay, again for one night on business. The Dakota is easy to find with plentiful free parking, being on the edge of a retail park. A great location for onward travel but perhaps not ideal for the Edinburgh tourist.

Check-in was simple and polite. The room is stylish and very comfortable; the acres of chromium and glass in the bathroom mean that it had to be clean to look good and it was - spotless and sparkling. There are just two downsides. One, the lighting in both the room and the bathroom is pretty subdued, meaning that it is less than ideal for work and for shaving. Two, there is very little space for clothes. This is fine for a one-nighter with little to unpack but could be problematical to longer-stayers.

The reataurant menu was surprisingly limited, but the food itself was very good, as was breakfast the next morning. They serve great decaf coffee in the restaurant.

Check-out again competent and polite.

For what it is - a contemporary hotel in an out of town location - it does the job well. I would have no problem in staying here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Mighty-Red
Scotland
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Nice hotel with easy access to the motorway with plenty parking.

Being picky 2 things I would suggest for room improvement would be a face flannel in the bathroom and also a vanity/shaving mirror with a light.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank mo43
ldavy, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that our location was convenient to you, and appreciate your suggested enhancements for our bedrooms which we will take on board.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Dakota in the future.

Regards,

Andrew
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

A group of friends and I met up at dakota grill , south queensferry last week for dinner and we were not disappointed.
We had a relaxing glass of champagne while we waited for everyone to arrive then were shown to our own private dining room.
We had a lovely meal in contemporary yet relaxed surroudings and the service was first class!
We're planning our next trip already!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elizabeth M
ldavy, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments following your recent dining experience at Dakota.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

The Balmoral Hotel
#9 of 147 in Edinburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,669 reviews
Broughton & Calton
Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (York Place)

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!