“Impressive service ! Great staff, comfortable stay”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel to attend a wedding nearby, it's not close to Edinburgh centre but was perfect for our needs. We had a lovely room, very comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated as was the bathroom, which was in fact a wet room, I'm not keen on these but it was very well equipped. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and the food was really good quality as was breakfast on both mornings. the lounge and public areas were very tastefully decorated . the tole describes itself as boutique - not sure what that means, but it was certainly individual and tasteful. but most of all the staff were professional, courteous and confident in their roles. It was a lovely stay and if you need to be in that part of Edinburgh for onward travel I would recommend it

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here for the weekend to celebrate her birthday. We stay at the Dakota fairly regularly for quiet weekends and this visit was of the same excellent standards as all the rest. The staff are teriffic. The hotel is beautiful both inside and out and has a great choice of food. Cant wait til our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We don't live very far away for the Dakota and have driven past it many times, I'd always been fascinated with what was inside the big black box! I got to find out when my husband and I spent a night in one of their suites and we werent disappointed.
The staff on reception and in the grill couldn't have been nicer or more efficient. The suite was beautiful, our meal and drinks were perfect and when we returned to our room after eating we were delighted to find candles lit, the lighting set, chilled bottled water at our bedsides and some lovely chocolates! I did wonder about the view but the inside of the hotel is so lovely I had no reason to bother with looking out of any windows. Everything about our stay was wonderful. We'll definitely be returning (as soon as possible)!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I often stay at the Dakota for work purposes and admit that when I first saw the big black glass box in the middle of two rainy windswept motorways I was not impressed. But as soon as you walk through the curtained doorway into the cosy and fantastically designed lobby I changed my mind.
Reception are friendly, helpful and efficient and the rooms are a good size for the price and cleverly designed to optimise space with clever touches like drawers under the beds for extra towels etc. The rooms also have a good sized desk if you are staying there for business.
The restaurant is also top notch with a great selection of steaks and fish (not so great if you are a vegetarian I suppose) and a three course meal is very good value. Again the decor of the restaurant is also very good with subdued lighting and plenty of space between tables and a good bar area as well. The only downside is that solo business travellers tend to get seated across the room from each other which means you are staring at each other every time you look up.
The breakfast is very good with a huge selection which finishes off a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed at the hotel on Friday as a surprise nite away for my wifes 40th Birthday , on arrival the hotel was lovely , staff were friendly and a nice relaxed atmosphere . My wife and i enjoyed a few drinks in the bar/reception area and the service was pleasant .

However the following morning was nothing short of a disaster , after having to give the one bath towel that was supplied in the room to my wife and myself having to use the one hand towel to dry myself from our showers, i was standing in my underwear and my wife completely naked apart from the towel around her hair , a male member of housekeeping opened the door and came into our room , he got a full frontal view of my wife much to the mortification and he simply about turned , no attempt at an apology and walked back out , this reduced my wife to tears. I went down to reception to complain and when i returned to my room my wife informed me someone else had tried the door .

I then received a phone call from housekeeping stating that our door card had been handed in and this had caused the confusion , a complete fabrication of the truth , we were then offered a complimentary breakfast , but my wife was so embarrassed by the incident that she just wanted to check out and go home . She went staright to the car having to pass the receptionists who knew about the incident. I paid the bill and accepted the apology and the promise of the manager being in touch in the next day .

When i reached the car i checked the receipt and found out that for my troubles they had overcharged me for my stay . I went back in and complained about this only to be told i had room service , i replied £25 is a bit steep for an extra portion of fries . She then realised that i had been overcharged for the room .

My wife had always looked as we passed the Dakota and said she would love a night in it . She has had a bad couple of years with close family deaths , and this was a chance at a wee lift for her spirits .

However the amateur antics of the staff completely ruined what was meant to be one of the best nights of her life .

I held back on this review to give the hotel a chance to contact me , but 2 days later still no word . So i feel left with no other option than to warn other users of our treatment .

John Brown
Falkirk
room 522

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
26  Thank John B
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Dakota crashes and burns

We went to the South Queensferry Dakota with some reservations as our last family meal my Birthday was a disappointing affair but we thought as a family anyone can have an off day.
So we went last night Sunday the 11th for our family Christmas meal seven of us, Two people suffer from celiac and Lactose intolerant .The rest Good eaters.
But from the start the staff did not seem to care about us or even if we were in the building, as we had reserved a seated area near to the open fire so we could gather and talk before our meal which was booked for seven O’clock. Quarter past seven we decided we better go through to find our table with drinks in our hands, when the Dakota first opened you were told of your table is ready a waiter would collect your drinks and lead you to your table. None of that this time.
As I said two our party were unable to eat wheat or dairy products but they asked the Lady waitress to help and advise of what was on the menu to give them a choice , but she had no idea as she was suggesting cheese and dairy products which my guest could easily spot .At this stage we thought OH NOT AGAIN.
This went on for over ten minutes and we all got a bit frustrated at the constant going back and forth.
It has to be said that when we did choose our food it arrived quickly and was good there was no complaints by any of my guests to the quality of the starters.
Main course were Ok as three of us had the Steak Frites which was waver thin and none of our steaks were cooked to what we asked for and at £12 odds very disappointed in this.
And the other really disappointing thing was the lack of service for our drinks we had to stop and ask for our drinks to be served to us, the restaurant was not busy so we couldn’t understand their lack of service.
So we decide as a family to call a halt to our meal straight after the main course and ask for the Bill, which came to £198, and we all collectively said NEVER AGAIN.
So to sum up poor customer service lack of interest in the guests requirements which left seven adults who were looking forward to our Christmas family meal very disappointed and angry.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank EdinburghBoy121
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your dining experience, and furthermore, for taking the time to do so on both our Hotel and Restaurant profiles on Trip Advisor.

I always feel that when responses to reviews are written in a generic, repetitive form, this signifies not only a lack of imagination, but perhaps a lack of conviction in the overall message. As such, I felt I really ought to offer an individual response on both of our sites. I apologise if there is any repetition.

I was bitterly disappointed by your comments regarding what should have been a special occasion. I can understand your frustration at receiving a poor service on the back of a previous conception that your birthday meal was less than inspiring. Sadly, it seems we have done little to restore the balance of faith.

We thoroughly reviewed all the matters that appear to have detracted from the enjoyment of your visit, and I honestly believe that we are a better restaurant for the critique you offered. I am only sorry that it appears to be too late where you are concerned.

Though it may seem crass to suggest it, I do also feel that your experience was not representative of the more common experience our guests receive at Dakota. Comment has often been passed on how knowledgeable and attentive our staff are. Quite how we seemingly got things so badly wrong on this occasion I am at a loss to explain.

It never brings me any pleasure to read that valued guests will not be returning. However, on this occasion it seems we will have to accept your wishes.

If you do ever have a change of heart, please do not hesitate to contact us, as we would dearly love to have the opportunity to redress the balance with you.

Warm Regards,

Ewan Grant
Food & Beverage Manager
Dakota Edinburgh

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business conference. Beautiful hotel, excellent service, fantastic rooms. The only downside was the utter lack of vegetarian options at mealtimes. I understand that the hotel had been advised that there were a number of vegetarians within the party but we seemed to be an after thought. I was particuarly shocked at the lack of any 'veggie' options at breakfast, this is unusual for a 4* hotel catering to a mixed market - espeically as there was a rather large supermarket over the road where they could have picked something up to feed us.

Unfortunatly this one thing left me slightly disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Murrayfield
Murrayfield Hotel and House
Murrayfield Hotel and House
#36 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!