“Excellent birthday surprise for my wife”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stay over night on 07/04/12 for my wife,s birthday. When we walked through the door we were both impressed immediately with the relaxing comfortable decor. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I new from the start that we were going to have a great time.
We went into the bar for drink and all I can say is the decor was amazing and relaxing. The fireplace that goes through the wall into the seating area of the reception was a nice touch, as was the half circle curtains round the entrance to both the reception and bar from the outside which stopped any drafts.
The room was excellent, comfortable and well finished the separate shower room was great.
I booked a table in the restaurant for 8 all I can say is about the food was superb, excellent and amazing. Both my wife and I had the hot shellfish platter. Its a must !!
Having stayed at many nice hotels I found the Dakota on South Queensferry to be a hidden gem, value for money at a very high standard.
It was one of the most relaxing overnight stays my wife and I have had. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graeme J
DakotahotelEdinburgh, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your incredibly positive comments from your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you both enjoyed the occasion of your wife's birthday celebration so much.

As a hotel, we understand the importance of that first impression, and it is great to hear that this very much set the tone for your stay.

The Grill is very much the heart and soul of Dakota, and so much work goes in to making that dining experience so much more than just another hotel restaurant. The roast Shellfish dish has been on the menu since day one, with everything from the Tobermory langoustines to the Eyemouth lobster being locally sourced.

Your overall comments are so encouraging, and I assure you that they are shared with the entire team here. I would like to thank you for providing such an enthusiastic piece of feedback, that I am sure will give all the staff involved a great sense of pride.

I would love to think that I will have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the near future, and if we can ever assist with any future bookings or enquiries, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

we spent one night and was pleasant enough,restaraunt overpriced we did the deal for one night and wasnt explained well enough how it worked out.shower water temp too cold,and bottom of shower was very dirty and tiles wall tiles were very dirty in corners,need better supervision of cleaners,We think the premier inn much cleaner.premier inn next trip.

Room Tip: cant comment
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
DakotahotelEdinburgh, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that we did not match your expectations.

It is disappointing to hear that you feel the restaurant is over-priced. We do try to offer a range of dishes at varying prices that represent excellent value for the level of produce. We will certainly review our pricing in light of your observations.

May I enquire which package it is you are referrring to? We do have varying offerings for a one night stay, so purely to ensure that we can better explain our packages to future guests, it would be beneficial to understand what package you were quoted.

I think, on the whole, we offer some excellent packages, such as our Spring Bed & Breakfast package at £95 for an over-night stay and breakfast for two. For an additional £34, you can upgrade to our Spring Dinner, Bed & Breakfast package (including a £40 allowance towards dinner), but I never told you that!

With regards to your observations within the room, it would certainly seem that our standards were decidely short of the necessary level on this occasion. We have drawn your comments to the attention of the housekeeping team, and there will certainly be a heightened awareness of the fact that any dip below our normally high levels will not be tolerated in future. We will, of course, also ensure some refresher training is given to all our room supervisors, so we remain as vigilant as always in the process of checking rooms.

It would be hugely beneficial if you could contact us to follow up on a few points from your review, such as what room you stayed in. This detail would allow us to remedy any issues within a specific room. At present, we are unaware of any issues with regards to the shower water temperature, so being able to examine the room in question would help us ensure that no other guests are unduly troubled by this issue.

We would obviously love to think that all of our guests would want to return to Dakota, but would certainly respect your assertion that you feel other hotels provide an offering more akin to your tastes.

If there is ever an occasion when you feel you would like to give Dakota another try, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel, and I will ensure that your next stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

The room was excellent; stylish design, nice bathroom and super comfortable bed!

Bar area was really nice, restaurant was good.

Was here only a couple of days for business and it was perfect for our needs. Although if you're coming to Edinburgh for leisure you'd probably be better off staying in the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
DakotahotelEdinburgh, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback. I am delighted that you were so pleased with your stay. As titles go, "Very Cool" is one that instantly removed some of the normal trepidation when browsing a new review on Trip Advisor! I thought concision was a lost art, so thank for repaying my faith.

We hope to welcome you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed in the Dakota for one night after having driven passed it for years and admired the unusual architectural design. We'd also stopped in for bar lunches and really enjoyed them, so we decided to give it a try. In a nutshell? It was okay, but ultimately rather disappointing because it gives the impression of being more than it really is.

Don't get me wrong, the room was fine enough - we had a lovely view of the Forth Bridge, but the lobby and restaurant had led us to believe it was a luxury hotel, when really it falls squarely into the "trying to do luxury on a budget" hotel market. Quick example: the room didn't have a bath. The shower was perfectly okay, but we enjoy baths when we're luxuriating, and so not having one was really disappointing.

Also, when we were checking out they'd charged the meal we'd had in their restaurant the night before to our room, but we'd already paid for it at the time. When we mentioned the mistake we were then challenged to provide evidence, and so we had to go out to the car, unpack everything to find the credit card receipt and take it back to the receptionist before they'd accept they'd made a mistake.

Now, I appreciate some people may try and pull a fast one in such situations and so there needs to be a system to protect the hotel from being exploited, but if we'd charged it to our room there should have been a signed receipt saying so. A luxury hotel should not be putting the onus on its guests to prove they've paid for something, they should have a process in place that puts the onus on themselves to demonstrate something *hasn't* been paid for. This experience just added to our initial experience with the room - it's a budget hotel pretending to be a luxury hotel. To be clear, I like budget hotels, and I like luxury hotels; what I'm not so keen on are budget hotels masquerading as luxury hotels - it feels disingenuous.

As I say, it wasn't a bad experience by any stretch - just not what we expected. On the plus side, the mean in the restaurant was wonderful - great food, value for money, and good service - at least up until the point where they told reception we hadn't paid the bill!

I doubt we'd choose to stay there again, but we will still stop in for food from time to time if we're passing.

Room Tip: If you're going for one of their standard rooms, just be sure you won't be wanting a bath wh...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ellislea

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write what is largely a hugely positive review of our hotel. It is great to hear that your initial positive impressions of the hotel from your visits to the Bar resulted in your decision to stay with us.

Obviously, it is very disappointing to hear that your initial impression did not extend to your overnight stay with us. The Dakota concept has always been to do the simple things brilliantly, with a real emphasis on a fantastic service from an enthusiastic team. Hopefully, when people enter the lobby or Bar for the first time they do feel an element of luxury in their surroundings, and from the very start we have aimed to provide that level of comfort and atmosphere for all our guests, but to do so at an affordable price. It really is a huge compliment to the hotel design that Dakota is viewed as a luxury hotel. Hopefully, more often than not we exceed our guests' pre-arrival expectation. I am sorry to hear we have failed on this oocasion.

I wholly understand why you would feel disappointment when you were hoping for a bath in the room. Though we do not feature baths in any of the guest rooms, we do receive excellent feedback on the quality of the fantastic rain forest showers featured in all the guest rooms, and hopefully this goes some way to compensating for the lack of a bath.

It is a delight to hear that your evening in the Grill was so wonderful, and that you were so well looked after. I am also delighted that you felt the quality and value of the menu choice was so high. Often, these days, the dining options on offer in a hotel are an after-thought to be considered on arrival. We are in the fortunate position of having an award-winning restaurant that is very much something of a destination in its own right. Indeed, the nicest problem for the Food & Beverage team is managing the demand for dining reservations.

That being said, it worries me greatly that you were wrongly burdened with what was an administrative and communication failing on our part in respect of your dinner bill. I can only imagine how that detracted from an otherwise memorable meal. The matter has been addressed with all the necessary departments to ensure that there are no such repeats.

I feel compelled to mention that this is a matter that should have been correctly handled in the restaurant, and it is regretful that department faced with the problem were the reception team, who work exceptionally hard to provide that first impression and to make the final impression one of a fond farewell. On this occasion, it seems they have been put in a difficult situation through no fault of their own, and though I am sure the intention was in no way to doubt the authenticity of your payment, if that was the perception we left you with, then we have failed you. I could not agree more with your sentiment that it should not be your obligation to prove you paid, and that is simply not good enough.

I am gravely concerned with your ascertion that there is anything disingenuous about the Dakota experience. Having worked and stayed in many hotels, I can honestly say that I have never been involved with a team that are more driven in trying to deliver the very best service to our guests. Apart from anything else, there would be absolutely no benefit in trying to mislead potential guests as to our offering - it would only lead to the further disappointment. I apologise if you feel we have portrayed ourselves erroneously, and I will ensure that your points are conveyed to the whole team to ensure that we avoid any such failings in the future.

I am very happy to hear that you will continue to visit the Bar & Grill, and I hope that I will have the opportunity to meet with you on your next visit. Furthermore, if there is ever an occasion that I can be of assistance, it would be a pleasure to help any way I can.

Thank you again for your very constructive feedback. It is only with such structured critique that we as a hotel can improve.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stated here for one night stay with my wife for a night out without kids.
It has the appearance of an office block. Upon entering it appeared dark but our eyes soon adjusted and it gives a very calming ambience.check in was efficient,the room was spacious,very well presented and cleaned.Equiped to a high standard with large lcd on wall,air conditioning,very comfy king size bed and en suite with large rain drench shower cubicle.Did'nt eat at hotel so can't comment .took a short taxi ride (which was booked by recepitionist)down to South Queensferry (which cost £4) where we ate at the Hawes inn.
very good value for money for quality of accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
ldavy, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you so enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is often commented that the building gives little clues as to what you should expect on entering the front door. A lot of thought has gone into creating a relaxing, atmospheric ambience, and it always pleases me to hear that we have succeeded.

I am also pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy all the varying aspects of the room design. Hopefully, on your next visit you will be able to enjoy some refreshments from the Bar & Grill. We offer possibilities for all-day dinign, whether for a light snack in the lobby, or enjoying the full choice from the a la carte Grill menu - and what better way to start than with a cocktail or two in the Bar?

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valued feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We have arranged business meetings in the bar area over the last few months, due to it's suitable location and free parking. We purely use it for their bar and lounge to conduct an all day business meeting requiring pastries/coffee/lunch/drinks etc. so I cannot comment on the hotel itself.
Our last few visits have been slowly getting worse, but yesterday really was the end.

Very petty first off, but.....Please learn how to make a cappucino! Foam is usually required! And what's the deal with no chocolate?

Anyway....

Limited and boring bar lunch menu...8 items? Even the 8 item bar menu on your website looks more appealing, it's a shame it wasn't the one we ordered from. I ordered the club sandwich - basically a chicken BLT. When it arrived it was a sub roll (Is a club sandwich not three layers?) complete with BLT, chicken and the surprise ingredient - EGG MAYO???! Not listed on the menu and would not have ordered this as I DO NOT eat eggs Great allergy control there Chef! It was promptly swapped but sadly what was returned was the efforts of perhaps an angry chef and very thrown together, had no dressing, and lacked any flavour.
The handmade crisps with my colleagues sandwich were ok, but lacked continuity and some left a very bitter aftertaste and she could not eat them We suggested to the waiter that the oil needed changing as it tasted old. NOT NICE! Apparently it is changed every day? Hmmmm?

Our waiter was ok, moderatley attentive throughout the day, but could have been more on the ball considering it wasn't overly busy.

We ended up having our drinks, coffees and fries taken off the bill. Sadly nothing will make us come back! No more business from our company!!

Also, if you're going to talk about customers, make sure they are out of earshot! SCHOOLBOY ERROR!

In the future we will conduct our business meetings in the car and go to tesco!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank VMM0608
ldavy, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Guest,

I am truly sorry to hear of your disappointing recent visit to Dakota. It seems we have certainly let you down on a number of fundamental points.

With any complaint as serious as your own, I would always prefer the opportunity to discuss all your points fully, and hopefully convey our apology for what was undoubtedly an underwhleming experience. With this in mind, I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me at the hotel so I can perhaps look to address the issues that blighted your recent lunch and should have been resolved before you left the building. Hopefully we could also go some way towards restoring your faith in the Dakota brand.

I can be contacted through the main hotel number, and if preferable, would be delighted to call you at a time of convenience to yourself.

I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on a business trip to Edinburgh. Hotel stands out architecturally as a large black glass block in a small shopping area on the outskirts of Edinburgh close to the Road Bridge over the Forth. On entering the hotel it appeared somewhat dark, an ambience that pervades the whole hotel. However, after a few minutes, I was accustomed to it, and actually quite liked the effect which was very calming. Reception was efficient, and the room was excellent - shower with drench nozzle, flat screen TV, wireless broadband, large bed, and an added bonus of a great view of the railway bridge! We dined in the hotel, and the service was courteous, not quick but that suited us. The menu was varied and the food excellent. a reasonable wine cellar and some good draught beers. The rate was less than £100 for bed a breakfast. Overall a superb experience!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Forth - great view of the rail bridge.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
ldavy, Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel. Such feedback really does provide a great lift for all the team.

Everybody at Dakota works extremely hard to create a relaxing environment for all our guests. Especially for those that spend long times away from home due to business, it is so important that you can unwind and enjoy the level of service and food offering that has always been the focus at Dakota. I am delighted that it seems we have delivered on this occasion.

We stress the importance to all the staff of being attentive to the guests' needs and understanding that everyone has differing requirements and tastes, though I will be asking the Bar & Grill team to speed up a little!

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, and I would be delighted to assist with any further reservations, and to have the opportunity to welcome you back personally.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
Murrayfield
Murrayfield Hotel and House
Murrayfield Hotel and House
#36 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!