“The other Darth Vader's Castle (and that is a good thing)”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Glasgow
“The other Darth Vader's Castle (and that is a good thing)”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Many years ago I once heard Ken McCulloch describe the concept design for this hotel and restaurant as ‘Darth Vader’s Castle’ – that has always stayed with me.

Having dined in the Glasgow verison, I used this for a work overnight, it is excellent and visually stunning. Check-in was quick, check-out was done in absentia, and breakfast excellent.

1 Thank Kevin O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
liverpool
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I have stayed at the Dakota hotel on the forth road bridge many times on business and felt I needed to put on trip advisor what a great hotel it is spacious rooms the hotel is dimly lit but that adds to the atmosphere and the breakfast is fabulous cooked freshly for you and a great selection of fruit and cereals well worth a stay

2 Thank scouser79
Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2012

My boyfriend and I booked here last minute after what I would call a nightmare experience at the Dalmahoy – a Marriott property. Jennifer greeted us at the front desk and was very welcoming and understanding of our situation and what we had been through that evening. Driving over 6 hours that day - we really needed a place to stay after checking out of the hotel we had booked for 2 nights. She gave us the rates and even showed us their rooms in advance, which I thought was really nice and really impressed me.
We booked a junior suite for 2 nights and so far it has been absolutely amazing; plush furnishings, very nice decor, free internet (take that Marriott) and a really comfy bed. The restaurant breakfast was very delicious and has good waitstaff that are attentive and friendly. The room has a nice supply of teas and coffees – even with a mini coffee press; I thought that was a nice home-like touch. The place is very clean – no complaints at all.
I would recommend this hotel highly and for the price I think you get more that you pay for. It is convenient to restaurants and there is a Tesco next-door as well. Seems like a strange location for this type of hotel but really nice aside from that.
If we return to Edinburgh for more meetings we will definitely book this hotel for our stay.

Room Tip: Book a junior suite if you want a little extra room - not much more than a standard. The regular sui...
1 Thank JennFlorida
Jamshedpur, India
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed in the hotel last year during my trip to Edinburgh. Hotel accommodation is excellent and has got very good bathroom.

Food quality in the restaurant was excellent. I tried some Indian food which was very good.

Overall very good experience.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012 via mobile

A lovely hotel just next to Forth Road Bridge. Had a wonderful meal in the "cage". Love this hotel its one of my favourites. Staff are attentive at all times and nothing is to much trouble for them. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel either to stay in or even only for a meal.

• Stayed June 2012
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I arrived at the Dakota having cycled from Blair Atholl, without having booked ahead. Despite my slightly scruffy appearance I received a very warm welcome. The receptionist was very helpful in finding a secure room in which my bike could be stored and even offered to help me take my bags to my room. My room was warm, comfortable and quiet even though a busy road was not far away. I ate in the bar area but chose food from the restaurant menu. The food was excellent and the service attentive, friendly but not obtrusive. In the morning after a very good nights sleep I went for breakfast served in the main restaurant. The buffet was extensive and of high quality. I chose smoked haddock with a poached egg from the cooked menu and this was cooked perfectly, to my taste. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again should I visit Edinburgh in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Liverpool, England
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I recently stayed at the Dakota for my boyfriends birthday with family members. It was absolutely amazing!

Located just outside the city centre this hotel is perfect for tourists who don't want to be surrounded by the load drunks often found in the city centre hotels. The reception area is luxurious and very comfortable to relax in with a drink in the evenings. The attached restaurant can be a little pricey but is well worth the money. The rooms are not massive but are very clean and supplied with lovely tea, coffee and hot chocolate with your own kettle and iron.

But by far the best thing about this hotel is the staff. All of the staff were very welcoming as we arrived, we were given are rooms very efficiently and advised about times etc about the restaurants and local bars. After freshening up we had an amazing meal in the restaurant were the staff are extremely professional and charming. We were also allowed to sit in the lounge with our drinks for as long as we wanted, with waiters/waitresses still serving us to our couches. Even in the early hours of the morning we could not fault the staff, they were more than happy to continue to serve us and were very, very friendly. When we mentioned to them that we planned on visiting the zoo the next day but were not sure were to go they took it upon themselves to print out maps from the hotel to the zoo and the zoo to the city centre. We were even supplied with an umbrella when we saw how miserable the weather was!

I would like to thank all of the staff at the hotel for making our stay very welcoming, comfortable and unforgettable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
The Dunstane Hotel
#12 of 149 in Edinburgh
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#86 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!