“We love this hotel!”

Dakota Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“We love this hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night on our way up to the Cairngorms and this was our 3rd or 4th stay. We really love this hotel, it has such a great feel to it. The room was just as expected, quiet at night, big comfy bed. We ate in the restaurant, as we do each time we stay - and unfortunately this time it was a bit disappointing. Maybe we made some bad choices but neither meal was worth shouting about. It was the restaurant which we raved about after our other visits so its unusual that things weren't up to scratch. Portion sizes seem a bit smaller now too - maybe it's a sign if the times!

We're going to put it down to an off night and not let it put us off - as we really do love this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Hebrew first
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

Staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. Decor, fixtures and fittings, bed & bathroom linens were all high quality and adhered to an overall design which created a nice ambiance. The room was nicely proportioned with drink making facilities including still water and an ironing board/iron were available. The bed was comfortable & bathroom amenities were excellent - especially the power shower. Free wifi was a bonus!

Room Tip: Overall a nice experience
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank S L
Leven, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

I had to give this hotel an average rating, as that's what it was, average.
It wasn't cheap, so I suppose we were expecting something a little nicer.
If it was just somewhere you wanted to lay your head for a night, then it's fine, but it's not somewhere that we wanted to spend time in, or rush back to. The decor in the hotel was very dark with low lighting, and it was almost creepy it was so dark.
It didn't have a good feel to it.....but the bed and shower were fine, so that's the main things.
Breakfast was ordinary.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Dakota on 23/02/2013 for one night and it was average to be honest. The customer service was good but kept trying to sell me stuff like breakfasts which I didn't want. I was then asked for a deposit if £50 along with the £79 for my nights stay which I wasn't told about but I got it back as long as everything was fine.

The room was good and bathroom was ok but nothing special. There was dust on a few shelves and the door but it looked nice. There was a problem with the shower door which kept letting water out but nothing massive.

Another thing was when we wanted to use the kettle all the plugs were on the floor so we had to have the kettle on the floor.

Overall altogether it was a average stay nothing fantastic though.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Kris F
DakotahotelEdinburgh, General Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Guest,

I am disappointed that Dakota did not live up to your expectations. The quality of furnishings throughout the hotel and the facilities on offer such as Sky Sports and high speed internet are what sets us apart from many hotels and what fuels our belief that there is not a better value hotel anywhere! ‘Not Bad’ & ‘ok’ are not necessarily descriptions which offend hoteliers, but we aspire to achieve only the highest standards. I am sorry that you were not blown away by your experience at Dakota, but I hope that your next stay will be fantastic in every way.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

I liked the decor, edgy, modern and yet very stylish at the same time. I liked the room, spacious, very clean, clever use of storage space, very good shower.

The restaurant is an award winner, therefore use your common sense and book in advance. It's not rocket science.

My one gripe would be that the gym is too small, four cardio machines and a weights multi-gym and not enough room to swing a cat let alone break a sweat. But this is minor overall.

Finally the staff. The staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. Polite, well presented, attentive. To be honest for me it's always the staff that make or break a hotel.

Well done Dakota team, I will absolutely be staying in your hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Returned to the Dakota and was slightly disappointed . Service was slow, only one tissue in the dispenser and the restaurant fully booked,although we got a table after a half hour wait. The food was very very good. They have the fish dishes absolutely cracked and the breakfast was delicious, but again the service was poor.....no one patrolling to see that guests were happy.Always like the ambiance....very relaxing and calm. The management need to sharpen things up .

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is very disheartening to read that you felt that our hotel has ‘lost it’s edge’, although the irony in your qualifying statement that the ‘restaurant was fully booked’ is something which brings me minor consolation!

Joking aside, be assured that we take any negative comments about service very seriously and we will continue to work to ensure that we consistently deliver the highest level of service. I sincerely hope that the high standards which set your benchmark of expectation during your previous stay will continue to be replicated. We relish the challenge of improving our hotel every day and your comment that the ‘management need to sharpen things up’ will serve as motivation to continue to improve our much lauded service standards.

Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was our third visit in the last year and we have stayed over twice.
The rooms are very modern, clean and relatively quiet. The staff attentive and friendly.
However, three "small negatives" have now crept in : firstly the air conditioning is difficult to control so the room is too hot; secondly the shower is great but when you open the door with the shower off the water still pours onto the bathroom floor; and lastly in our opinion the food is becoming pricy for what it is.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I was extremely disappointed that your recent overnight stay at Dakota was not of the high standard which you have come to expect from us.

The small negatives in the bedrooms which you have mentioned will be addressed. As a hotel, our first obligation is to deliver a comfortable night’s sleep. I completely understand that this is very difficult if the room is too hot – or indeed too cold. I am of the belief that one would have to go head-hunting at Cape Canaveral to find a boffin who can understand the workings of modern air conditioning systems! It is evident, however, that we must do more to share the knowledge of the intricate workings of this facility to our guests and I am sorry that we did not do so during your recent stay.

We value the loyalty shown to us by repeat guests, and I sincerely hope that in spite of the small failings which you highlighted, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Dakota in the future. I would be delighted if you contact me directly should you be seeking accommodation in the area. I will take pleasure in seeing to it personally that all aspects of your experience at Dakota are memorable for the right reasons.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
The Balmoral Hotel
#10 of 150 in Edinburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,628 reviews
Broughton & Calton
Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (York Place)

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!