Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed for one night. The hotel entrance was clean but dark and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Our room was adequate but my main niggle was that the room wasn't very clean. The leather effect bed frame had a few dubious stains on it. Cue a good going over with the baby wipes. The desk was badly marked and again was attacked with baby wipes however, it seemed the stains on the desk were ingrained and not for moving. A few of the light bulbs were out but we called at reception and they sent someone up with replacements - surely this should have been checked when the room was cleaned (badly). We were staying as we were wedding guests and the wedding and meal were fantastic. Just a shmae the room was a bit of a let down.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Catriona M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,015)

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Value is good for this place, I expected it to be much higher seeing its location, its a little dark on the inside but that's its theme I suppose, I loved the rooms, clean modern and a warm welcoming bar area and not over priced which is unusual.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank tanstair
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night on our way up to the Cairngorms and this was our 3rd or 4th stay. We really love this hotel, it has such a great feel to it. The room was just as expected, quiet at night, big comfy bed. We ate in the restaurant, as we do each time we stay - and unfortunately this time it was a bit disappointing. Maybe we made some bad choices but neither meal was worth shouting about. It was the restaurant which we raved about after our other visits so its unusual that things weren't up to scratch. Portion sizes seem a bit smaller now too - maybe it's a sign if the times!

We're going to put it down to an off night and not let it put us off - as we really do love this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. Decor, fixtures and fittings, bed & bathroom linens were all high quality and adhered to an overall design which created a nice ambiance. The room was nicely proportioned with drink making facilities including still water and an ironing board/iron were available. The bed was comfortable & bathroom amenities were excellent - especially the power shower. Free wifi was a bonus!

Room Tip: Overall a nice experience
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank S L
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I had to give this hotel an average rating, as that's what it was, average.
It wasn't cheap, so I suppose we were expecting something a little nicer.
If it was just somewhere you wanted to lay your head for a night, then it's fine, but it's not somewhere that we wanted to spend time in, or rush back to. The decor in the hotel was very dark with low lighting, and it was almost creepy it was so dark.
It didn't have a good feel to it.....but the bed and shower were fine, so that's the main things.
Breakfast was ordinary.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Dakota on 23/02/2013 for one night and it was average to be honest. The customer service was good but kept trying to sell me stuff like breakfasts which I didn't want. I was then asked for a deposit if £50 along with the £79 for my nights stay which I wasn't told about but I got it back as long as everything was fine.

The room was good and bathroom was ok but nothing special. There was dust on a few shelves and the door but it looked nice. There was a problem with the shower door which kept letting water out but nothing massive.

Another thing was when we wanted to use the kettle all the plugs were on the floor so we had to have the kettle on the floor.

Overall altogether it was a average stay nothing fantastic though.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Kris F
DakotahotelEdinburgh, General Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Dear Guest,

I am disappointed that Dakota did not live up to your expectations. The quality of furnishings throughout the hotel and the facilities on offer such as Sky Sports and high speed internet are what sets us apart from many hotels and what fuels our belief that there is not a better value hotel anywhere! ‘Not Bad’ & ‘ok’ are not necessarily descriptions which offend hoteliers, but we aspire to achieve only the highest standards. I am sorry that you were not blown away by your experience at Dakota, but I hope that your next stay will be fantastic in every way.

Andrew Ovenstone

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I liked the decor, edgy, modern and yet very stylish at the same time. I liked the room, spacious, very clean, clever use of storage space, very good shower.

The restaurant is an award winner, therefore use your common sense and book in advance. It's not rocket science.

My one gripe would be that the gym is too small, four cardio machines and a weights multi-gym and not enough room to swing a cat let alone break a sweat. But this is minor overall.

Finally the staff. The staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. Polite, well presented, attentive. To be honest for me it's always the staff that make or break a hotel.

Well done Dakota team, I will absolutely be staying in your hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Murrayfield
Murrayfield Hotel and House
Murrayfield Hotel and House
#36 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!