“Dakota South Queensferry”

Dakota Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Dakota South Queensferry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, 2 nights in March. We ate in the hotel only on 1 night, an excellent meal. Staff are very attentive without being 'in your face', friendly and appear to be happy at their work.

The room, although facing the busy main road, was very quiet. Lovely shower, comfy bed, sufficient room for 2 adults. WiFi friendly, and free as long as you spend £10 or more at either the bar or restaurant.

Could possibly do with some additional storage space for clothes.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Hebrew first
Shifnal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

After a very tiring day, the last thing that you want is any hassle. You turn up at the Dakota which is in a retail park and does look somewhat futuristic, my colleague said that it reminded him of a trendy IT office. From the moment you walk through the curtain you are made to fell like a flim star. Reception was excellent and the lifts have a nice touch which reminds you of the days when design and elegance were a part of the flying experience. I almost wanted to have a dinner jacket and dress for dinner and when I looked at the bar in the restaurant I reckon a good 50's cocktail could have been whizzed up.

Got up to the room and loved the bathroom and the beautiful soaps and the superb shower - a good waterfall shower and just what is needed to pick you up. Space in the open wardrobes might be limited for some and it took me a few moments to find the tea making implements.

Bed was a very good size with the TV in just the right place as well as a good size desk for writing notes on and the biggest table lamp I've seen in a long time.

Dinner was of a high quality - I can definitely recommend the squid and salsa as a starter and the belly pork especially with the side order of red cabbage.

Wine does come by the glass and although the range is mostly European -so a few New world wines wouldn't go amiss.

Also while you wait there was a sort of amuse bouche of tomato and mozzarella dip which was a good touch which I cant remember any hotels offering for guests in some time. Restaurant staff were attentive but not intrusive which encourages one to stay and to talk rather than feeling you need to be rushed on as soon as possible.

Next morning a good breakfast and I can recommend the made up muesli and the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs if you don't want a heavy breakfast, thought I have to say the full Scottish breakfast was tempting.

No problem with once again an efficient check out with once again the attention to detail of the check out lady offering to print out a map to our location.

Another nice touch was that if people wanted to watch TV they had set out rooms which doubled as meeting rooms so that people could watch in privacy, but those who just wanted quiet and a chat could do so.

What made the Dakota for me was the seamlessness of the service and the attention to detail even down to the fixture and fittings which were well designed and created the ambience of a place that you would want to stay longer in and that you would always feel welcome.

OK it isn't in the City Centre of Edinburgh but it is well worth the detour out. This is a hotel that if I were a chain hotel order, I'd want to send my key staff to to learn how to give a five star service at reasonable prices this would give a good bench mark.

If i'm going up to Edinburgh, this will be the hotel I'm putting at the top of my list.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew T
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Traveled here on business with a colleague, and chose here for its prices and location to main transport routes. Having driven past it, I never thought the hotel looked up to much, but inside is a very elegant and plush hotel. Excellent environment to do some work in, as well as being very reasonable for what you get. Room was very nicely decorated and very comfortable, although the highlight was the waterfall shower - always a winner!

My one complaint was that due to the lack of decent restaurants nearby, we ate in the hotel, and the selection on the menu was relatively limited. While the food was very good quality, I would have preferred a wider selection. However, it won't stop me going back!

All in all, a great hotel for business travel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife, my 21 month old daughter and I stayed at the Dakota on Friday 8th. March, we booked a suite and had a number of special requests which we arranged by email prior to our visit, all of which were accommodated without fuss and confirmed by the guest coordinator in a timely manor, communication here is both professional and personable, as a frequent business and leisure traveler I find this all to rare now days. The decor throughout the hotel is stylish but comfortable and the ambiance is relaxed and not at all stuffy, service in all areas from the warm welcome at reception to the front of house team in the restaurant is excellent!

Food in the restaurant is of a good standard and fairly priced for the facilities on offer. I did make a comment that there perhaps could be more milk in the rooms (my only slight niggle) I received a personal and pleasant email from Ashley Elliot the Guest Coordinator to confirm this would be addressed - a first for me, top marks!

We were meant to be staying in January but had to cancel our visit due to the lovely snow! I called to cancel the room and our restaurant reservation last minute, on the day we were meant to stay, well past the hotels agreed cut off time T&C's but was delighted to speak to a charming, understanding and professional receptionist who gave me a full refund! Another first! This is my 7th. stay at the Dakota and I would highly recommend the hotel for business and pleasure, the Dakota delivers value for money and 5 Star service in a relaxed manor! We will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are well fitted but ask for a view of the Bridge and the Forth, you get an excellent v...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Spent five nights at the Dakota and was very impressed by the staff, everyone from front of house,to waiters,housekeeping and special mention to Steve ( who looked after a group of us when the hotel provided a private room to watch sport) ,the staff were outstanding every request or enquiry was dealt with not only efficiency but a smile,if every hotel we visited had staff like the dakota it would be lovely. As for the hotel, rooms lovely,although not a lot of storage space when staying for a few night,beds very comfortable and bathroom (large shower only) was clean with nice toiletries and a lovely shower. Breakfast was lovely plenty of choice,we had dinner twice at the hotel and both meals were wonderful. WILL stay at the Dakota again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

This is a modern hotel, beautifully decorated with smart and efficient staff. We came to Edinburgh for a Wales v Scotland rugby match. I normally don't go for such a smart hotel on rugby games but all the cheaper hotels were booked. I paid a bit more for the Dakota but I was very impressed. The hotel is very stylish, the only thing that didn't have any style was me and a ropey rugby shirt. For some reason my friend and I were given the disabled room and it could be because of the disability thing but the room was massive. It had all the facilities you would expect, the beds were beautifully comfortable and the staff were very polite to the two drunken Welshmen who staggered in at omg o'clock. They were even polite when I accidentally pulled the emergency cord in the disabled bathroom.

The only reason the hotel didn't get five stars was the location. It's a bit too far from Edinburgh but great if you want to cross the forth road bridge

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Welshrugbyfan99
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Hi i stayed at the dakota in queensferry a few months back for 1 night to attend a wedding,and the hotel is beutiful very nice decor and immaculate rooms and spottless i did think that £26 pp for breakfast is a bit steep,but the hotel is in a retail park and there is a frankie and bennys and a tesco supermarket accross the way from the hotel for food if you do not wish to eat inn,i cant say much more as i only was in the hotel for a few hours at night and the next morning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
The Balmoral Hotel
#10 of 150 in Edinburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,628 reviews
Broughton & Calton
Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (York Place)

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!