“Welcome "hame" with a touch of class !”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Sydney
“Welcome "hame" with a touch of class !”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

On holiday from Australia....my first trip "home" in some 37 years I was absolutely delighted with my short but sweet stay at the Dakota in South Queensferry. A warm and cheery welcome from young Gillian on reception set the tone for a wonderfully relaxing stay. My room, overlooking the
Forth Bridges was very spacious, scrupulously clean and furnished to a very high international standard. A delightful menu and wide variety of wines ensured a pleasant respite after a long day of travel. Every staff member encounter was friendly and positive. I have travelled all over the world and stayed in a variety of accommodation over the years. The Dakota holds it own in the international hospitality arena and I highly recommend a stay here to anyone like myself seeking to recharge their "Scottish heritage" batteries, relax and indulge in the ambience of this hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel was recommended to me by a local business woman....never underestimate the power of "...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Lovely hotel and lovely staff..very good with children. Excellent location to all attractions as there is a bus and train service. Would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone. Food was also delicious.

• Stayed April 2013
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

what can i say about this hotel?.fantastc, we had the champagne dinner bed and breakfast deal, the room was on the 5th floor overlooking the forth road bridge.room spotless, warm, have been in hotels all round europe and this one tops them all.dinner was cooked beautifully, service first class, the staff are a credit to the dakota company. cant wait to go back

Room Tip: worth the suite money, best ever
West Lothian
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed here on the 27th April 2013 for the first time, reception looked fab, room was excellent, dining was a very pleasant experience, food was brilliant and the staff are second to none, bst experience I have had in a long time.

Room Tip: The whole place is lovely
1 Thank horsie019
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I don't often write reviews but this stylish hotel deserves a mention.

I booked into the Dakota for a one night stay with my 2 youngs girls (age 6,8) and we had a ball! The interior is designed to cacoon you from the moment you walk into reception and it works. As we checked in, we noticed several guests had settled into the dimly lit, inviting lounge areas. Although most of the guests must have been business travellers, they were very few suits in sight. This place felt like a well kept secret for people in the know.

We ventured up to our room. The girls were enthralled by the screens in the elevators with moving clouds - nice touch. Our room was beautifully designed, very clean, spacious and luxurious.

We later decided to have dinner at the Bar & Grill. One of my girls ordered langoustines, the other squid and I ordered pasta incase we needed a backup plan. I needn't have worried, the seafood was delicious and service was superb. The girls were made to feel welcome and particularly taken by the waiter who arranged for Creme Brulee to be sent up to their room.

If you are intrigued by the outside, I would recommend that you step inside.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

First impressions of the Dakota were not great as the free shuttle service was not very slick on our arrival at the airport - the driver told us he was waiting for another flight in 20 minutes time so we could either wait or he would book us a complimentary taxi. Obviously, we went for the taxi but this took forever so we were hanging around the airport for a good 30 minutes longer than we needed to be. However, is is still worth availing of the free airport shuttle if you are there mid-week as it was an £18 taxi-ride back to the airport on a Sunday. As a general point, taxis seem to be on the expensive side - a trip into the centre was £23.

The hotel is in an odd location but very convenient for a wedding in nearby Dundas castle. Considering the location by busy roads and a car-park, our room on the third floor was surprisingly quiet and there was no traffic noise. From the outside, the hotel does not look promising but inside, the lobby/restaurant is very stylish and rooms are nicely decorated. Staff were all very friendly and efficient.

A few negatives:

Terrible lighting in the bathroom - especially if you are female and trying to put make-up on!

The bed was not comfortable (which is quite a rarity in modern hotels these days).

The wooden blinds on the bedroom windows may look stylish but are not very practical since they let some light in and bang against the windows when the a/c is on.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
DakotahotelEdinburgh, General Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Jetsetsansjet,

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to read that you had difficulties with our pre-booked airport transfer service and it is regrettable that you had to wait for an excessive amount of time for a taxi. Taxi replacements for our airport transfer service are rare and would only be a last resort when we are dealing with multiple arrivals with delayed flights, which unfortunately was the case last Friday evening.

We appreciate you informing us of the issues you faced with the lighting, bed and blinds in your allocated room and are sorry that you did not feel these were suitable. We welcome all feedback and I have passed on your comments to the relevant departments. Our goal at Dakota is to ensure that each of our guests are personally looked after and I am delighted that you enjoyed our decor and valued our efficient and friendly staff.

I hope that your experience has not deterred you from staying with us in future. If you are returning to Edinburgh please feel free to contact myself directly and I will be happy to personally assist with the necessary arrangements.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Ovenstone
alcester
Reviewed 19 April 2013

The Hotel was in line with the other Dakotas as far as reception was concerned. The rooms were not in good condition. the en suite door handel was hanging off in my room and there were dye stains on the carpet. The breakfast buffet was poor and very stingly, the cooked breakfast was OK, but they could not manage to cook an omlette when requested. In all I would say the standards are slipping at this Hotel and not up to other Dakotas.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
New Town
The Principal Edinburgh
The Principal Edinburgh
#24 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!