“I love this place.”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We have stayed here many times and feel every stay is special. The hotel is beautiful inside, despite being sited next to a large Tesco. The only small issue is breakfast. The service at dinner is 5 star but at breakfast it just does not deliver. We had to ask for more coffee on each of the 3 mornings of our stay. We had to ask someone to come and take our hot food order. We had no butter, jam etc. None of these things are major but it just becomes annoying Day after day. That said I still love this place.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Dakota Edinburgh

Reviewed 7 August 2013

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in for a business trip and, having travelled on many trips across Europe, Middle East & Africa in the last couple of years, that's quite an achievement.
It's a boutique hotel that's manages to combine sophistication with a comfortable yet welcoming atmosphere. The staff in all areas including the reception, bar & restaurant are very attentive and offer sincere & genuine customer service.
I completed the guest feedback form after my stay as the hanging space in my room was not tall enough for a knee length dress and I received a positive response from the manager within only a few days. I am assured that my preference will be noted on my profile for my next stay - well done again for customer service!
I look forward to my next visit and happily recommend this lovely hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This hotel is stunning. Beautiful décor , lovely staff and a great nights sleep in an uber comfy bed.... Will be booking again very soon. Great location and near enough to Edinburgh city centre. Frankie and Benny's on your doorstep as well as a huge Tesco store.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at the Dakota in late August 2012, as we were leaving for our honeymoon in Mexico early the next morning. We'd eaten at their restaurant before, one Valentine's Day, so we already knew that the food was amazing there, even if we weren't going to have time to avail ourselves of it that visit.

Well, we could not have asked for better service, at all. They checked us in swiftly; we got to our room - I loved the ampersand wall art! - and everything was cosy, but also lovely and modern. It was sort of like warm hospitality meets safari meets writer's nook. There was a knock at the door, and they had brought us two glasses of champagne, in the funkiest flutes I've ever seen - with the staff's congratulations on our marriage. What a lovely gesture!

The next room, we were swiftly checked out, and had the pleasure of enjoying the complimentary airport shuttle service, which enabled us to come back 10 days later and pick up our car. The driver was so kind - I loved his "Dakota tartan" kilt - and said it was a shame that he wouldn't be able to get us on our return, as we arrived back at the weekend (the shuttle only runs on weekdays because the hotel primarily caters to business clients).

We left a glowing comments card with the staff and a tip for their generous and kind-hearted service, and a few days later received a personal thank you email from their custom relations manager. Overall, a wonderful, if brief, experience and one that we would wholeheartedly recommend - and have done! - to friends and family. This is how hostelry is done at its best, and it shows off Scottish hospitality at its peak. Bravo, Dakota!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LyssieHB
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here recently and loved it. The service in the restaurant and bar area is fantastic, and the meals we had - dinner and breakfast - were beautifully cooked and presented, with portions just the right size. Overall price very reasonable too. The hotel is also spotlessly clean, in the bedrooms and public areas. It was also very quiet at night despite the hotel seeming busy.

Lighter rooms would have made this up to a five, along with baths rather than showers! Was just a bit too dark for me, although it wouldn't put me off going back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for 1 night in July. It has to be one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in! There is a car park which is free to use and there is a Tesco, burger king and a few other places just opposite it. The reception area is very nice, there was a nice relaxing atmosphere about it, it was clean and modern. The staff were professional and friendly and let us know there was meals available. Our room was lovely, it was modern and clean and very well maintained. It is of a high standard but they don't charge you ridiculous prices, there was a big cushion to lounge on to watch TV or read. The TV is on the wall at the bottom of your bed so it's easy to see. There was a desk/dresser at the window which was lovely, with a kettle and tea & coffee etc. There was a nice comfortable chair in the corner too. I loved the dimmer lights above the bed, excellent idea! The bathroom was spotless, lovely toiletries too. The décor throughout is very good and the shower was lovely. It was a large head on the ceiling above, rather than an awkward one on the wall. The bed was very comfortable and there was no noise at all, we didn't hear a peep from others or the road outside. We didn't have any food here so I can't comment but the restaurant looked very nice. We were checked out quickly and staff are friendly and show an interest. I would highly recommend to anyone especially couples or people on business. I would use Dakota again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura92x
Reviewed 1 August 2013

nice hotel, i managed to get a good price on the room, its very similar in appearance to a malmaison, and similarly priced, i found the food well priced and good value, the beer potentially over priced at nearly over £6 a pint. its difficult to find fault with the hotel, it was spotlessly clean, friendly staff and good food, comfy bedding, and a large room, not souless like many hotels of this type, but kind of standard, if there was a button for ambivalent, i would tick it, a nice normal hotel, close to the airport and potentially better than some others. a question tho, in this day and age of needing to charge a fruit based phone every night and use it for an alarm why do so many hotels not have plugs next to the beds???

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Old Town
Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh
West End
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!