“Amazing stay for a first time away!”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was my first time away with my boyfriend but with experience in various hotels all over the country and I have to say I cannot fault this hotel. We instantly felt welcome and the place was so cosy, like you had walked back into your own home. The staff were fantastic, the room was funky, cosy and clean and the food in the restaurant was spot on. It was extremely quiet considering the hotel is situated quite near to a major road. Buses were every 5 minutes to the city centre all day (we didn't want to drive into the centre knowing what it is like) from just outside the Tesco nearby. Other than the horrible weather we had, I enjoyed every second of my stay at the hotel. Can I send a huge thanks to the waiting staff who made us feel welcome and provided an excellent service. x

Room Tip: We chose a standard room and trust me, they are great rooms with powerful showers.
3  Thank Ailsa R
Write a ReviewReviews (2,015)

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I travel a lot on business, and I keep returning to this hotel.

The staff have always gone the extra mile, allowing me vary the menu, keeping good care of items I've had to have posted to me to do my job. The restaurant is good, the beds are comfy and the rooms are adequately sized.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kitty_karate
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful time at this hotel, the only thing is the distance to the city centre, a bit far but nonetheless a cracking hotel. Great service and a classy bar for drinks. Will be back soon no doubt. Recommend

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank richsmalling
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We went to the Dakota for a weekend away as it was my birthday, we purchased the Friday deal which was our room and meal with two cocktails for £119. The food was really good and the cocktails were to die for.
The room is very modern but does have a few faults, the plug sockets closest to the bed are at the bottom of the bed which is no use if you want to charge your phone, also there is no clock in the room, which would've been handy in the morning as my phone was on the floor at the bottom of the bed charging.
When I was there the door handle fell off of the bathroom door when I was closing it but the staff were very quick to get maintenance up to get it fixed.
When we were sitting having our drinks in the lounge area the staff were very attentive and didn't let us sit for long with an empty glass, the breakfast was of a very high quality and whilst we were there we saw a couple who had their dog with them, I think this made me love the place even more as I have two dogs and would love to take them with me in the future, overall this is a good value hotel with a modern touch and I will be retuning soon.

2  Thank Erica N
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Managed to get a good deal (bed, breakfast and £20pp towards dinner for two for £129pn) for my partners birthday through the Dakota's website.

We arrived and was checked in very efficiently and was felt most sincerely welcome. The hotel public areas as well as the bedrooms were ultra modern and very classically decorated.

We had booked dinner and arrived slightly early so was shown to a table to look over the drinks menu. We both ordered steaks and they were Devine! Food was fantastic and the cocktails were amazing!

Was slightly pricey but definitely well worth it - will definitely return for another special occasion!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Iain_Row
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The reviews on here certainly helped us decide that we'd like to try the Dakota when we got a chance, and so we recently spent 2 nights there (Fri-Sun) for a weekend break.
The hotel is really easy to get to/find, right near the Forth Road Bridge, and the reception/lounge area is impressive.
The room was lovely, just the right size with a comfy bed and gorgeous rainfall style shower. There were a few little touches missing or small things that could have been addressed to make the experience stunning rather than just wonderful, but overall we really enjoyed it and would stay there again.
We had dinner at the hotel restaurant twice, and it was delicious, the only issue being it is extremely popular (not just with hotel guests) so unless you've reserved tables in advance you'll be disappointed or eating quite late. The wine list was decent and they were able to cater to my dietary requirements (gluten-free vegetarian), plus the rose water chocolate truffles were heavenly! Our waiter Lewis really made it a wonderful experience.
Breakfast was really nice too - not a huge amount on offer, but what there was was fabulous.
It's been pretty windy in Scotland generally of late, but the only downside to the location of the hotel is that I almost got blown away (literally!) every time I stepped outside to my car. Getting safely inside was a bit like finding an oasis though.
We didn't get a chance to check out the gym or facilities, but they did put the rugby (6 Nations) matches on in one of the meeting rooms, which was great, and we were able to order drinks/snacks whilst watching the 3 games. My snacks weren't as nice as the breakfast or dinner meals had been, however my partner's fish (breaded, with chips) was apparently gorgeous.
We ventured to the South Gyle shopping centre twice during the weekend (it was about 4 miles away), and there is a Tesco across the carpark, so didn't head into Edinburgh city centre at all. But the hotel was convenient for motorway travelling north & south, which suited our needs.

3  Thank SamF_Entrepreneur
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Dakota in Queensferry weekend of the 15th March for two nights. I must say that we were extremely pleased with the hotel in general and the Restaurant in particular. The hotel is clean and styled well, the staff are excellent, they certainly bent over backward to help make our stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

We eat both night in the Grill, quick word of warning: Book a table in advance because it's very popular and both nights we couldn't get a table until 20.45. That being said it was well worth the wait. The food was superb, the waiting staff again were outstanding, with special mention to Lewis who has to be the most helpful, polite and cheerful guy it's ever been our privilege to meet in a hotel restaurant. They went out of their way to provide meals for my girlfriend who is a wheat intolerant and vegetarian.

The weekend we stayed was the final weekend of the 2014 6 nations rugby and the hotel arrange for one of the meeting rooms to show the games and provided waiting service for those who wanted to watch the games. Even when the freeview box died, they moved us to another meeting room and setup the projector.

All in all a very enjoyable stay.

1  Thank Wynn J
Murrayfield
Murrayfield Hotel and House
Murrayfield Hotel and House
#36 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!