“Good Hotel let down by Dining and Waiting Service”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Part of a large group. The hotel is situated within sight of the Forth Bridge and popular with those using airport. The hotel was filled and therefore very busy.

Our room was excellent as were the public areas. However, the food did not match - it was not up to standard expected of such an establishment. We had to return more than one plate as unsatisfactory and the service was glacial. One member had not even been served whilst the rest of us had finished! Portions small and no bread offered. The staff apologised re delay and we were given a bottle of wine (we had to ask for it) as compensation. However, would not return.

Room Tip: Room appear to be universally good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,035)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife & i spent another wonderfull night in this lovely friendly hotel. Our room & meal were first class & the stafff are very friendly & efficient. We have stayed here before & the staff here continue to keep the standards high. It was a lovely day so we parked the car at the hotel & spent the afternoon down in the Ferry itself before checking in around 4pm where a bottle of champagne awaited us in our room. Any couples looking for a night away from the kids should consider this great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel isn't the usual run-of-the-mill Holiday Inn, Marriott, Hilton and really does make an effort to make all guests welcome and to be distinct from all that corporate stuff. I've stayed a few times and there is an interesting mix of guests including business people and couples/families - often it seems staying for a special celebration of one kind or another.

The rather cubic shape _is_ odd, especially under the blue night-time illumination. The rooms are large with good sized beds and bathrooms but to date I've only every had a shower in my rooms, not a bath. But the showers are really good and the shampoo provided by the hotel should last at least a month after each visit.

The bar is warm and welcoming as is the restaurant. It's reasonably-priced because the menu is interesting and the food is very good but this is not the place for a low-cost meal. There is a very handy large Tesco opposite if you are on a tight budget.

The staff are very professional but friendly and have the best looking outfits that I've ever seen for hotel staff.

There is ample free parking and a shuttle to/from the airport though this should be pre-booked.

Other hotels could learn a lot from the way this hotel is managed.

I still don't get the giant ampersand (& sign) on the walls in the rooms.

If the hotel had grounds or a swimming pool or was in a better location then it would easily justify a Tripadvisor excellent rating.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2014

20 min and 20 pounds away from the airport ( get free hotel transport ). Near the famous Fourth bridge and in walkng distance to train station to the city ( Edinburg centre is far away )

There is supermarket beside the hotel and few fast food restaurants. Its nice walk down to the village to get some decent food. Otherwise there is nothing around at all. Just highway.

Hotel is relaying on stylish decor which is nice cozy but nothing breath taking.
Rooms are spacious with tea/cofee, iron, water, but with not much storage space, not many hangers, no safe and difficult wi-fi. Very few toiletries in the bathroom, but excelent shower.
I have to mention the beds...the mattrace was the most uncomfortable I slept on in recent years.

Breakfast has a limited selection but good enoug with made to order items.
There is a small gym as well.

The reception and breakfast staff should be more cheerful and helpfull.
If you going to visit Edinburg city this isnt good choice ...otherwise ... why not.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank travellerczech
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have been to the Dakota a few times when working away in Dunfermline and each time the service of staff, quality of the food and the rooms are faultless.

I stopped in the Junior Executive Suite on floor 5 when I worked away for a couple of nights. The hotel made my stay as homely as possible - giving nice toiletries in the bathroom, slippers and a bathrobe in my room. I even came in to candles and chocolates!

A work collegue and I stopped there and we wanted to have the Chateaubriand steak but it was no longer on the menu (it has to be preordered) however it wasnt a problem for the hotel and they ordered it in for us. It was absolutely devine and I think I will struggle to find a steak that tasty again!

The only downside is that there is no gym / swimming pool but when I have a nice homley room and delicious food / wine from the restaurant to help wind down with, swimming is the last thing on my mind!

This stay was really memorable and I cant wait to come back again. This is definately my preferred hotel in the area!

Room Tip: Get a room on floor 5!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Katie P
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Given the stay over as a gift, my sister and I had a fantastic experience. The check in was easy with the receptionists informative and welcoming. The room was clean, inviting and had a relaxing atmosphere.

On visiting the bar, the staff went out of their way to accommodate our cocktail requests, even going online to get ingredients for the New Orleans Punch, which was delicious.

The restaurant was well run, the food delicious and the service exceptional with attention to detail, whether it was the presentation of the food or the information on the cooking and ingredients.

Thank you to my husband for the birthday treat but thank you also to the staff at the Dakota Forthbridge for a memorable experience. I will definitely be recommending the hotel to all my friends and we will be back again

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious, clean and relaxing but those facing the traffic are slightly noisier but thi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shirley W
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were very impressed with the Hotel Dakota. We needed a hotel close to the Edinburgh airport as we had a very early flight the next morning. We checked into the Dakota first and then drove to the airport to return our rental car. The Hotel Dakota’s free limousine pick up service then transported us back to the hotel. What a nice service! We arranged for a cab in the morning for a 4:15 am pick up and all went smoothly. Cost was 19 pounds to the airport. The Hotel Dakota is a sleek, immaculate, modern facility with a very polished staff. Young adults who have been well trained. For dinner we just wanted something light so we went across the street to Frankie and Bennies. This was a very loud, American 50’s style music place with mediocre Italian food. Lots of families with children celebrating birthdays. What a mistake. We should have made reservations and dined at the Dakota restaurant and relaxed. We ended up returning for a nightcap in their lounge bar. There is also a Burger King and a Tesco across from the Hotel Dakota. We were pleasantly surprised with our last night stay in Scotland! Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Murrayfield
Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Holiday Inn Edinburgh
#112 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!