“Expensive food”

Dakota Edinburgh
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Expensive food”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was an one night stay booked by my employer so I had no say in the choice.
On arrival the reception area was very dark and dimly lit which seems to be the theme of this hotel. The receptionist was polite and efficient and I was soon in my room, again this was very dimly lit even with all of the lights on and the curtains open.
There was very little clothes storage, so lucky I was only staying one night.
The bathroom though smart on initial view, it only had a shower and no bath, also the finish on the fittings was poor with the hot & cold tap symbols no fitted square on and barely visible, also the toilet seat was very cheap and extremely flexible. Also the lighting in the bathroom though better than the bedroom it was not particularly bright.
The free WiFi was a surprise however in my room it only worked if I sat by the door on the floor due to the poor signal (on my laptop & phone).

After a long day travelling and working I decided to eat in the restaurant, which again was dimly lit. The menu was not particularly extensive and very expensive with vegetables & potatoes each charged on top of the main dish. There appeared to be a lot of waitresses and service was generally swift, however even though there were very few diners the food took about 40 mins to arrive. It was very pleasant and as far as I could tell all cooked to order with the dessert made in house but in my opinion not worth the cost.

Overall a trendy hotel with attentive staff, but I'd prefer to be see what I'm doing rather than sitting in a cave and have usable WiFi and be nearer the city centre to provide the opportunity of a varied choice of restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tufty_B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have previously reviewed the Dakota which had become our favourite 'getaway'. However, since the last review we experienced a couple of issues on 2 different consecutive stays which we were promised (on each occasion) we would be 'taken care off' upon our next visit but failed to transpire.
1: Staying on the friday evening, I woke on the Saturday morning to 3 very itchy bites on my leg, thinking nothing off it we went to breakfast as usual and checked out shortly afterwards. Over the next 24hrs the bites became severe with blood drawn to just under the skin which ended with a trip to the gp who advised these were typical of bed bug bites and prescribed medication. We reported issues to the Dakota who promptly had our room investigated and confirmed 'bug's had been found and the issues were being addressed. Dakota were very apologetic and promised upon our next visit we would be "well taken care off".

Our next visit was some weeks later but during our stay there no mention of the previous unfortunate event, which was disappointing.

2: Not put off (as I said in our initial review, Dakota was 'our new favourite place to stay') we (as usual) requested a quiet room away from lifts as it can often be noisy later at night. We arrived at the Dakota later than usual (5.00pm ish) tired and exhausted after a busy day nevertheless looking forward to our stay, only to find we had been given a room opposite the lift corridor. Neither of us were really in the mood to move rooms so accepted where we were placed. Breakfast the next morning is always something we look forward too, the quality of the food is excellent and the staff attentive, however our breakfasts (sausage, bacon, egg etc) arrived in a pool of grease and only luke warm. Rather than complain as the restaurant was busy we decided the return to our rooms, pack and checkout. It certainly was not up to the usual Dakota standards. Post stay we did make the Dakota aware of our unfortunate issues, again they were very apologetic and promised upon our next visit we would be 'well looked after'.

We have since stayed (2 weeks ago) and unfortunately no mention was made to the previous 2 stays/unfortunate issues.

We do consider the Dakota a preferred place to stay along with The Dalmahoy Hotel & Norton House Hotel both of which we are very frequent guests, however it is disappointing there has been no follow through on the behalf of the Dakota which I know would not have gone unnoticed by both of its competitors.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colinm183
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here on our wedding day/night, cannot fault it, such a lovely hotel and the service we received was perfect, all the staff were lovely and very welcoming. Rooms are lovely, shower was great! We even received complimentary champagne, cocktails and rose petals on our bed. All added to our special day.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank nicellis1
Strathkinness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed over night as guests of a small family wedding and were very impressed, as all guests were. The food was excellent and the décor stunning. We look forward to our next visit to The Dakota, whether just for a meal or staying over - it is our new stop off in Edinburgh

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Geoff B
Fife scotland
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Ate at Dakota at Christmas service was excellent food was great and service was even greater .went back recently for lunch and it was just wonderful .great service again .will definately go backthe staff were just great nothing too much trouble .my 2 grandchildren were welcomed and they went out there way to please them

Room Tip: Did not stay
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hollyfifescotland
london
Reviewed 19 May 2014

It's been a long time since I have been back but it's all got a lot better.Great quirky choices for starters.Mains is mostly fish or steak but what's wrong with that?nothing!.Good wine and service.Worth a visit for sure,it's not for everyone but is for me.Only wish I could come back sooner.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Thus hotel gas always been a favourite meeting place for me doing business.ive had breakfast ,lunch and afternoon sandwiches.been here twice at new year for cocktails ..first time I've had dinner though.
Prices are very high considering where it is..outside Edinburgh.the selection is very limited and we struggled to make a choice with the starter..3 small sardines for £7 and the crispy pork was a poor show too.yes you can get fish and Chips for £14.50 but we were celebrating.we ordered the 18 oz Sirloin at £29.95 .i would never normally eat thus amount of meat but ..the choice of mains was just not there.
Asked for it medium to well done ..both steaks arrived totally overdone and very dry...but boy does that chef get flavour into his food.why didn't we return the food?
Simple ..it's now 9 pm and sitting waiting again means a very late dinner.
All in all tasty food ,ver high prices fir what you get..service excellent and the atmosphere was good.
I will go back but only for a coffee ..Champneys is better and less pricey too.
2 starters 2steaks couple if drinks and a bottle of wine (£27.95) total £122 ..I've eaten better for less and it's a shame ..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
The Dunstane Hotel
#12 of 149 in Edinburgh
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#86 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!