“Excellent choice for first trip to Scotland.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent choice for first trip to Scotland.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at The Dakota for two nights on our first trip to Scotland. The staff were courteous and helpful; nothing was too much trouble. The bedroom was very clean and confortable with a good firm bed and excellent facilities. The cleanliness of both the bedroom and bathroom was of a high standard. Breakfast was lovely with a choice of food varied enough to satisfy all palates. We ate in the restaurant on both evenings and the food was delicious, served by efficient and friendly staff. We were made to feel very welcome and will certainly be returning in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

A previous reviewer hit all the main points regarding dim lighting and shower which was near impossible to set a comfortable temperature. It is worth saying the staff are all well trained,attentive and professional. My issue is with the Grill we had starters, pea soup and squid in batter both were good but price was high £7.something for pea soup and similar for the thinnest rings of squid I have ever come across, for mains I had Sea Bass and a side of new potatoes about £18 for that ,although well cooked was unremarkable for the price. My wife struggled to find something interesting on the very limited menu and opted for fish curry which smelled excellent and came with poori and rice, the poori were very greasy and a more accurate description would have been Monk Fish with curry sauce with the fish added to the sauce not cooked in it so no flavors absorbed. I told the waiter we were disappointed and with the curry and exactly why and to his credit it was immediately removed from the bill. There was nothing particularly wrong with the meal but it was overpriced by about 30%.. The grill let's down a well organized pleasent hotel that still has a new and shiny feel to it.

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We found the Reception Staff very helpful and welcoming and willing to help with any enquiries we had.
The bedroom and bathroom were very modern, clean and comfortable and we had a very enjoyable stay. The breakfast was beautifully presented with a good choice and the Staff were courteous, pleasant and helpful.
We found the hotel to be good value for money and we would definitely stay there again.
The location may not suit everyone as it is outside the city but was ideal for our needs.

Room Tip: We didn't use the facilities we have left ungraded
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights while visiting friends in South Queensferry. Yes it is more expensive that the usual motels (Premier lodge is close by), but i did feel like my custom was valued and i am glad i spent the extra. The room was comfortable, with a nice firm bed, if not overly large. But the quality of the fixtures and fittings was to my liking. I had paid for the breakfast and was impressed by the prompt and accurate service i received and thoroughly enjoyed the Scottish breakfast. I had guests in for drinks on a couple of occassions and they were also treated with respect and prompt service.
The location might not be to everyones liking, but as i was there to visit South Queensferry, it was perfect for me and easily gotten to from the motorways.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was an one night stay booked by my employer so I had no say in the choice.
On arrival the reception area was very dark and dimly lit which seems to be the theme of this hotel. The receptionist was polite and efficient and I was soon in my room, again this was very dimly lit even with all of the lights on and the curtains open.
There was very little clothes storage, so lucky I was only staying one night.
The bathroom though smart on initial view, it only had a shower and no bath, also the finish on the fittings was poor with the hot & cold tap symbols no fitted square on and barely visible, also the toilet seat was very cheap and extremely flexible. Also the lighting in the bathroom though better than the bedroom it was not particularly bright.
The free WiFi was a surprise however in my room it only worked if I sat by the door on the floor due to the poor signal (on my laptop & phone).

After a long day travelling and working I decided to eat in the restaurant, which again was dimly lit. The menu was not particularly extensive and very expensive with vegetables & potatoes each charged on top of the main dish. There appeared to be a lot of waitresses and service was generally swift, however even though there were very few diners the food took about 40 mins to arrive. It was very pleasant and as far as I could tell all cooked to order with the dessert made in house but in my opinion not worth the cost.

Overall a trendy hotel with attentive staff, but I'd prefer to be see what I'm doing rather than sitting in a cave and have usable WiFi and be nearer the city centre to provide the opportunity of a varied choice of restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tufty_B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have previously reviewed the Dakota which had become our favourite 'getaway'. However, since the last review we experienced a couple of issues on 2 different consecutive stays which we were promised (on each occasion) we would be 'taken care off' upon our next visit but failed to transpire.
1: Staying on the friday evening, I woke on the Saturday morning to 3 very itchy bites on my leg, thinking nothing off it we went to breakfast as usual and checked out shortly afterwards. Over the next 24hrs the bites became severe with blood drawn to just under the skin which ended with a trip to the gp who advised these were typical of bed bug bites and prescribed medication. We reported issues to the Dakota who promptly had our room investigated and confirmed 'bug's had been found and the issues were being addressed. Dakota were very apologetic and promised upon our next visit we would be "well taken care off".

Our next visit was some weeks later but during our stay there no mention of the previous unfortunate event, which was disappointing.

2: Not put off (as I said in our initial review, Dakota was 'our new favourite place to stay') we (as usual) requested a quiet room away from lifts as it can often be noisy later at night. We arrived at the Dakota later than usual (5.00pm ish) tired and exhausted after a busy day nevertheless looking forward to our stay, only to find we had been given a room opposite the lift corridor. Neither of us were really in the mood to move rooms so accepted where we were placed. Breakfast the next morning is always something we look forward too, the quality of the food is excellent and the staff attentive, however our breakfasts (sausage, bacon, egg etc) arrived in a pool of grease and only luke warm. Rather than complain as the restaurant was busy we decided the return to our rooms, pack and checkout. It certainly was not up to the usual Dakota standards. Post stay we did make the Dakota aware of our unfortunate issues, again they were very apologetic and promised upon our next visit we would be 'well looked after'.

We have since stayed (2 weeks ago) and unfortunately no mention was made to the previous 2 stays/unfortunate issues.

We do consider the Dakota a preferred place to stay along with The Dalmahoy Hotel & Norton House Hotel both of which we are very frequent guests, however it is disappointing there has been no follow through on the behalf of the Dakota which I know would not have gone unnoticed by both of its competitors.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colinm183
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here on our wedding day/night, cannot fault it, such a lovely hotel and the service we received was perfect, all the staff were lovely and very welcoming. Rooms are lovely, shower was great! We even received complimentary champagne, cocktails and rose petals on our bed. All added to our special day.

• Stayed April 2014
The Balmoral Hotel
#10 of 150 in Edinburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,629 reviews
Broughton & Calton
Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (York Place)

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!