“Fantastic hotel, great staff and good location”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here whilst visiting Edinburgh zoo as I could not find a nice hotel in the city centre for a reasonable price. I'm glad I chose the Dakota. Rooms were beautifully decorated and very clean. Restaurant food was delicious, some of the best I've had in a hotel. Staff we're very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pauldavi02
Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our wedding night & it was a disappointing experience. The corridors are dark. The room has a dull decor and was cold. I had a terrible nights sleep as I couldn't find the control for the air conditioning. There was no hotel instruction sheet so you were left to work things out for yourself. We were only given one set of towels. I won't be staying there again as it definitely does not give value for money. The only bright note was the breakfast.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My boyfriend brought me here for my birthday and upon arrival I was wowed by the building exterior. It looked like the sort of building you see in Dubai - so contemporary and smart. The whole hotel was lovely everything was so clean and the room was really cool. I even had a cute little note off of the PR team wishing me a happy birthday which was a nice little touch. Staff are willing to go the extra mile to please you!

My only advice would be if you want to book a dinner reservation - book it before you go to avoid disappointment. Failing that there is a Frankies & Bennys across the road which is lovely also!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our whole stay from start to finish was just fantastic! Couldn't have asked for better service...when on arrival and walking in, it really did have the wow factor. The food was first class. The rooms were very clean and also finished off to a high standard. Will definitely be back!! :)

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank LuluB16
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was the fourth time i stayed at the Dakota, Edinburgh. My stays have got worse since the first in 2012. One person was in front of us at check in and from arrival it still took 25 minutes. No car park spaces available as Audi, Mercedes and Vredestein were doing tyre tests and had rented the car park. This was one of the busiest weeks of the year, Royal Highland Show week, and they rent our parking spaces!? Meal was lovely, staff really attentive. As i was showing livestock at the show i needed a good nights sleep, the bed was like rock the springs were knackered and the pillows hard. Myself and my girlfriend got bad backs and asked for new pillows that were softer to try and help, it didnt. We asked for some form of room change or improvement of the mattress, the hotel simply put a duvet on the mattress and recovered it with a sheet. This made no improvement. So 3 nights at £180 a night and crap sleep. The hotel offered no discount on check out even when confronted with the problems. Bad service. Try the Novotel, we'll go back there next time!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Very nice hotel at perfect location not far from the airport.
The food is great.
If you are a frequent visitor you might find that the menu should change more often.
Reception always gives you a warm welcome and the "view" is very nice.
Lobby with a big open gasfire giving a cosy home feeling.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are rather noisy when there is a lot of wind facing the windows. For some reason...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here when my husband did the City to Summit Ironman and it could not have been more convenient - only 2 minutes down to the start line at the Forth Bridge.
Check in was quick and easy and the room was lovely. Very modern and had everything we needed, including an iron and board. The whole feel of the hotel is rather dark and moody, all ambient lighting etc. It was all very clean, smart and modern, the only thing we didn't like was having to walk through nearly pulled curtains to get in the main door.
We had to go to bed very early due to our 5am start but the hotel was fairly quiet, and the blinds in the room did a good job on a very sunny day!
I would definitely recommend this hotel for location and quality. The rooms were very comfortable and stylish and the hotel provides very good service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Murrayfield
Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Holiday Inn Edinburgh
#112 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!