“Mixed feelings”

Dakota Edinburgh
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I booked this hotel for my guests for my wedding, which was being held nearby. I then also booked a room for myself and my husband the night after our wedding. The service I received when booking these rooms was very good, the woman I spoke to was friendly, helpful, and fairly quick at replying, however my guests all felt the hotel too dark and dingy.
When we arrived, I understood - it was very dark, definitely designed for the younger generation. The check in process was very slow and tedious, the staff seemed very uninterested and bored, and did the whole process without smiling.
The room was fairly average, plug sockets were in weird places, and it was a little cold. There was also no bath, which was a disappointment.
It served the purpose, but won't be rushing back here. I was disappointed as we gave them so much business over that weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sophkc91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Having used this hotel for many meetings I can honestly say that the food is of good quality if a little bit expensive. The staff are all extremely nice but the service can leave a lot to be desired if busy. Prices are acceptable for the quality of the product and standard of the hotel. Can we a bit draughty in the winter if you use the reception coffee lounge so choose your seat wisely.

Room Tip: Ask for a front view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David S
Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I stay here for a night in July.
The room was fantastic tea,coffee,iron,hairdrier.Large comfortable bed.Super bathroom with a fantastic shower.
We booked for dinner as it is a bit away from South Queensferry.Dinner was quite expensive but well worth every penny.Would highly recommend it.The staff are all very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night while meeting up with a friend who was also visiting Edinburgh. We decided to choose this hotel as it was convenient for us both to get to and better for parking than city centre hotels. The hotel is easy to find and conveniently located next to a supermarket and a selection of restaurants.

I checked in mid afternoon and my friend arrived early evening. The rooms were decorated in an upbeat and trendy style compared to a lot of hotels. My only disappointment was that the bathroom only had a shower (albeit a large one) but no bath. After a long drive I was looking forward to a long relaxing soak in the bath. After I checked in I asked about the possibility of moving to a room with a bath but was told that none of the rooms had baths.

My friend and I travelled into Edinburgh for dinner and picked the restaurant from a list of recommendations made by the receptionist. We were very impressed! It was called Angels with Bagpipes.

We returned to the hotel and settled into the bar so that I could enjoy a drink (having driven my car into the city for dinner). The bar had a lovely atmosphere and there were a number of people there, mostly couples. Drinks were very pricey and had we thought ahead we probably would have bought a bottle or two of wine from the nearby supermarket to enjoy in one of the bedrooms instead paying the prices in the bar. The bar tab was actually more than we paid for dinner for two. But as it was a rare treat and the first time we'd been able to catch up in a while we didn't mind the expensive. We stayed up quite late and once the bar was closed, the night porter was more than happy to continue serving those guests still in the bar.

We had originally planned on having a cheese board to share when we got back tot the hotel after dinner but we were put off by the cost. The dinner menu did look delicious but again pricey and a comparable dish was more expensive in the hotel than in the restaurant we'd eaten right in the heart of Edinburgh. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and cooked to order and I thought it was quite good value for money.

I would certainly stay here again, shame the bar was so expensive, next time I will probably nip over the supermarket and drink with friends in one of the bedrooms. I really don't know why some of these out-of-town hotels insist on charges such high prices when there are much cheaper options right on the doorstep, although I concede that the near by fast food restaurant and Frankie and Benny's really isn't aimed at the same demographic as the Dakota restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

In April this year we held our wedding reception at Dakota Hotel. We thanked staff at the time but we wanted to do this review too, because we know that Tripadvisor reviews are so important to hotels these days.

We had a small wedding party of about 25 people including ourselves. We were keen to create a special experience for us and our guests that was not the usual wedding "package" or in the usual wedding venues. Dakota Hotel does not do many wedding receptions but the team did an excellent job in holding our reception!

Our wedding reception at Dakota was special because we were able to accommodate all our guests within the venue in luxurious rooms; we had our own private adjoining function rooms that were stunningly decorated (by the White Petal Company); and there was the most beautiful 3 course meal with options that our guests were able to choose on the night.

We were very particular about how we wanted our day to run and Katie Forrest, the events organiser, was fantastic! She seemed to totally understand where we were coming from and made every effort to make our ideas come to reality and resolve any of the small problems we encountered along the way. Katie, we could not have done it without you!

We also want to say a special thanks to the night staff at the hotel who looked after our private party as it went into the early hours! It was important to us that our guests felt relaxed to enjoy themselves, and you did just that.

All our guests commented that they really enjoyed themselves, and we have amazing memories and photos to keep forever. It was a once-in-a-lifetime event for us and it just could not have gone any better! We would totally recommend Dakota Hotel to anyone looking for a special venue for a private party.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lucy T
Rossendale
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel in May for a one night stay on the 6th August. As I intended to go and see my teenage son participate in the Edinburgh Fringe, I decided to treat myself and my husband, already in Edinburgh, and have a special start to the trip and settled on the Dakota which relatives living in the area had recommended. After a 5 hour journey alone by car to Queensferry, I met my husband and arrived at reception to a friendly if slightly puzzled welcome as the receptionist struggled to locate our booking (confirmed through Booking.Com). I had rung the hotel earlier to inform them that I might arrive late. She then consulted her colleague and we were duly given our room keys. I had booked a double room and we were surprised to be told that spare towels (a second set) were in a drawer at the bottom of the bed, were we expected to both use the same towel? Deciding to unwind we went for a drink and received very good service. On returning to our room, I discovered an email from Booking.com to say the Dakota had rung them that evening and cancelled my booking as they had 'oversold'. Booking.com service team had asked if they would provide alternative accomodation which they made no effort to do, and our email give details of a room which BC had frantically located at a nearby Marriott! As we were extremely tired and obviously checked in, we decided to pursue the issue the next morning, did not stay for breakfast and after my inquiry at check out was brushed off, we left early. We will not be back, the whole experience left an extremely sour taste in my mouth - customer service? I think not.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank snowfields
Stamford UK
Reviewed 6 August 2014

One night stay on business. Used the free hotel pick up from the airport which went very smoothly (10 Minuets journey time). Hotel had a modern/trendy feel to it. The service from all the staff I delt with excellent and really made the short stay a pleasure. It is out of the way if you are looking for a city break in Edinburgh, but if you need a hotel for a late airport arrival or early departure and are looking for a little more than Holiday Inn express then would highly recommend. Got a good mid week deal ay £89

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
#13 of 149 in Edinburgh
The Chester Residence
The Chester Residence
#1 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!