“Birthday Lunch - very impressive”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Birthday Lunch - very impressive”
Reviewed 8 May 2010

My sister and I took my mother here for her birthday lunch back in November- this was based on recommendations from friends and I have to say I was sceptical - after all it looks like a big, black box at the side of the road so I wasn't expecting much.

Well I have to say I was quite blown away, from the moment we entered until we left I was super impressed. The service was attentive and friendly, the menu comprehensive and appealing and the food was excellent quality.

I loved the decor, it was industrial with a chic twist and my mother was thrilled when on leaving a staff member heard her wondering what the rooms were like and he promptly offered to show her. She was very taken with this and declared the rooms beautiful (my sister and I were mortified at her audacious behaviour and stayed behind, although secretly wishing we had gone too!). I thought this was an excellent touch in terms of customer service and really just confirmed by earlier thoughts.

I look forward to many more visits to Dakota (or as it is affectionately known in my family "The big black box by the Forth Road Bridge"!)

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank Gill68
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 1 June 2010
Dear Gill68,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your lunch back in November; I will pass on your compliments to our Head Chef, Marc Robertson. It is also particularly pleasing to hear such positive feedback about the level of service you received.

Public Relations Executive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Hebrew first
Ripponden
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Having left a well known hotel in Dunblane due to bad service & poor rooms, we called in to see if they had any vacancies for 3 nights - yes at a very resonable price for 2 B&B.
I was there doing a 51 mile walk over 2 days along the Fife Coastal path with my 19 yr old daughter & my black Labrador of 14mths - we were All made very welcome.
The staff were all very friendly, happy & helpfull.
We ate there on our last night...... can recommend the Ribeye steak
We're off to there sister hotel near Glasgow for a big celebration the end of May.....16 staying & eating lets hope its as good!
Going back in July, fingers X'd!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barkisland
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
Dear Barkisland,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased to hear that our staff made the three of you feel so welcome! I will be sure to pass on your compliments about the Ribeye Steak to our Head Chef, Marc Robertson.

I hope that you enjoy your stay at Dakota Glasgow at the end of the month.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I have just returned from a one night stay at the Dakota Forth Bridge with my mum and I have to say our stay was completely faultless! The hotel is modern and clean with an air of luxury in the main areas of the hotel. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful, and check in was quick and simple. Our room was large, immaculate and beautifully decorated - the bathroom was also modern and spotlessly clean! We ate in the Grill restaurant for dinner and breakfast and on both occasions we found the service to be second to none and the food superb!
My mum recently had a stroke and it was also her birthday weekend, so it was important to me that she had a relaxing and enjoyable experience. The Dakota Forth Bridge provided just that, and was excellent value for money! I shall certainly be recommending this hotel to others!

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank a_scott79
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
Dear a_scott79,

Thank you for posting your comments. I am delighted that you and your mother could relax and enjoy yourselves after such a difficult time. It is great to hear that you both enjoyed your stay so thoroughly and I will be sure to pass on your comments to all departments involved.

lincolnshire
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Spent one night here as working in Rosyth. Impressive stay from the moment I walked into the hotel. Service excellent. Fast check in but with a smile which is always welcome after a long day at work. Rooms top class, modern yet homely. Beds very comfy. Bathroom clean, modern with a very good shower. Did not eat in the hotel as not fond of sea food but the restaurant was full and I have heard very good reviews from work colleagues. Breakfast however was excellent. All in all I had an excellent and relaxing stay at the Dakota and will definately return. The location did not bother me as per other reviews but then it was perfect location for getting to the office the next day. However I would still stay in this hotel if I came with my family as my experience was so good. Check out was swift and easy - again it came with excellent service. I would highly recommend this hotel to any one.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank andiLincolnshire
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 4 May 2010
Dear andiLincolnshire,

Thank you for posting your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is particularly pleasing to hear that you experienced such excellent service as this is something which we really pride ourselves on.

If you do decide to dine in the Grill next time, there are a number of options on the menu other than just seafood; I would highly recommend the Cote de Boeuf or the Mushroom Ravioli!

Bournemouth
Reviewed 24 February 2010

The hotel exterior is very modern and eye-catching but the interior is also very welcoming. The room we had was very comfortable well furnished and clean and felt really cosy as well as modern. The bed was lovely to sleep in and the en-suite clean and modern too. The location is a bit of a draw back, being quite far out of town and a little way from the airport, but we were visiting for a wedding on that side of Edinburgh. We did get into Edinburgh by train on the second day and it is a lovely train ride from a station about 15 min walk from the hotel (and easy to find, even with my map-reading in-ability). I would definitely recommend this hotel, particularly if you're taking a car. I had a wonderful time staying here and will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LGLGLGLGLG
bracknell
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Good place to stay, especially if you are visiting Edinburgh and have a car. Rooms are nice, clean and quiet. There is plenty of free parking at the hotel and South Queensferry is a place with it own character, surrounded by some nice countryside and loads of places to visit - cultural and commercial.
The hotel sits on a retail park, which has it uses - petrol, ATMs, Tesco (, Burger King)... Once inside the hotel there is an almost fairy tale like transformation of location to something rather closer to New York than the outer edges of Edinburgh. The fish/seafood restaurant is pretty good as well.
For people with cars and visiting Edinbugh, a five minute drive brings you to Dalmeny rail station with free parking and an 8 minute ride to Edinburgh Haymarket - £3.80 return, altogether less hassle than staying in Edinburgh and having to find a safe place to leave a car.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wbBracknell
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 16 February 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Dakota for valentines. We had seen the hotel on numerous occasions passing it on the motorway. I was concerned the rooms may be noisy because of the road, but I needn't have worried. The room itself was clean, fresh and larger than a lot of rooms we've stayed in recently. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk to South Queensferry with a few great bars overlooking the two Forth bridges. We had a fantastic meal in the restaurant, with the service very friendly and attentive. My one slight criticism was that they ran out of limes in the bar which meant I couldn't have my second of my favourite cocktail - but I'll forgive them for that...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
The Balmoral Hotel
#9 of 147 in Edinburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,672 reviews
Broughton & Calton
Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (York Place)

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!