“Nice Hotel for an overnight stop location not good for visiting the city,”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Fife, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel for an overnight stop location not good for visiting the city,”
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Booked this hotel for an overnight stay before flying from Edinburgh airport. As per the previous comments the hotel is nice and modern looking, the restaurant food is very good with excellent service, However i would like to comment on the price of a glass of wine £10:00. The rooms are very modern but also bordering on the depressive dark decor. The rooms do not include hotel information, nor do they have glasses for drinking from, The Dakota supplies you with a plastic glass. The area the hotel is situated is far from the city, an expensive taxi ride if you require to visit the famous princess street. The rooms do not have very good sound proofing due to the noise from rooms adjacent. Would we use this hotel again yes we would however it’s expensive to drink in the bar, the service is prompt in the bar. There is a Frankie and Bennies restaurant and bar close to this facility that’s always an option if you are on a budget.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 13 September 2010
Dear UlsanBraveheart,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable experience in the Grill, I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our Head Chef and the Grill team. I would like to add that our house wines start at £3.95 by the glass. It sounds as if you enjoyed a large glass of Malbec or Gavi de Gavi which are our most expensive wines. Should you visit in the future, I thought it might be useful to let you know that as well as going into Edinburgh by car, you can take the train from Dalmeny into Edinburgh Waverley. A return ticket is around £6.00.
We hope to welcome you back to Dakota in the near future.

L. Davy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Achingly trendy with loads of exposwd brick, leather clad seating booths and subdued lighting. Our twin room was huge, with plenty of furniture, and wardrobe behind each bed,. which I though was a nice touch, but we were given a disabled room as it was the only twin left which meant no bath, and a wet walk-in shower room, which I felf got a little too slippy. And there were only 2 regular teabags in the hospitality tray. I know I could have called for more, but come on, don't you think that's a bit tight?! Plus despite all the lovely pillows and cushions, I felt the mattress was a liuttle too uncomfortable so I didn't sleep brilliantly.
The bar and reception staff were unfailingly professional, and although we didn't eat there, the menu looked impressive. However, although knew it was a fair old way outside town (an £18 taxi ride), it proved a little difficult to get there. Reception booked a cab for us, but thought it would be some time as it was the end of the festival so we ordered drinks, at which point the cab turned up. I told the driver we'd be a couple of minutes and when we went outside, he pulled away shouting he had to be elsewhere. Another taxi didn't show so we jumped in a black cab that was dropping someone off. My advice- get the bus!
Not a bad hotel at all. Would I stay there again? Maybe. If it were better located? Definitely

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Andrew1976,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you found your room to be so comfortable and spacious. I understand that the wet rooms in our disabled access bedrooms may not be to everyone’s taste, however unfortunately we were fully booked that evening and this was the only remaining twin room.

I was most disappointed to read about the taxi company letting you down. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly, I would like to get some more details so that I can ensure this does not happen again.

UK
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Great design - from the outside rather like a block of black marble and inside softly lit, comfortable and stylish.
Excellent service and great food - if slightly on the expensive side. (Scottish Seafood Restaurant of the Year 2009, Scottish Hotel Restaurant of the Year 2008). Well looked after by staff.
The rooms are not large but are very well apppointed including cushions, adequate seating and a great bathroom. Occasional niggles about electric sockets not in the best places but these are not significant. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 1 September 2010
Dear Gulliver35,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room to be so comfortable. I look forward to passing on your comments about dinner to the Grill team and hope to welcome you back to Dakota in the near future.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Arrived with a booking for 1 night only. Our reception was very friendly and to be honest, the girls behind the front desk could not have been more helpful. From allowing us to check in early to advising train times to the city centre, no question was too much.

The room was beautifully presented, simple, clean, well maintained and the bathroom was sparkling. My only fault was a slight stain on the corner of the duvet cover that met us on entering the room.

The bar is clean, comfortable and relaxed. You can go to the bar to get a drink or sit down where a member of staff will come to you. Spirits and wine are at a very reasonable cost however i am not sure where they have got the price of their lager. I dont pay £5 for a pint of lager in any city centre establishment so was slightly taken back here.

The restaurant fully deserves all its accolades. Simply stunning. I had the mussels with chilli, 5* followed up with Turbot on a bed of Samphire, boiled potatoes and Hollandaise sauce. Flawless. My girlfriend had a crab mousse followed up by prawn and hallibut curry. (Even better than my main). We even managed a dessert of apple tart with ice cream and some truffles. The fact we are still talking about it now shows just how good it was. Staff were helpful, assisting but never intrusive.

For whatever reson neither myself or my girlfriend had a great nights sleep but i cannot blame the hotel for that.

Check out was simple, swift and problem free.

Would fully recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear GovieGovie,

Thank you for your comments. It is fantastic to hear that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your meal – the Halibut and Prawn Curry, in particular, is extremely popular. Thank you also for your comments regarding the price of lager. Our lagers start at £3.95 and go up to £4.95 for the premium draught lagers. I am not aware of our prices being out of line with other similar establishments, but I am nevertheless extremely grateful for your feedback and I have passed this on to our management team.

We hope to welcome you back to Dakota in the near future.

Aberlady
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed here as part of a wedding party, we called the hotel 4 days before our stay to ask to check in early but we were told to call on the day of our stay. Not an ideal situation when you need to get ready for a wedding with a baby.

When we arrived at the hotel we were lead to believe that breakfast was included, this was not the case even for a room at £129 per night.

We went to the bar for food and had to ask 4 times for a height chair.

My bother in law also booked a room and it wasn't ready in time so he had to get ready with us and was asked to leave his bags in his mother in laws room and move them when we got in after the wedding party.

The hotel attempted to charge my father in law a higher rate even know all the rooms were booked at the same time.

My wife called reception and complained about breakfast was not included in the exorbitant price and the only respond she got was “OK, Bye"

In summary you will be disappointed by this hotels complete lack of customer service it seems to be all about appearances with the Dakota.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Smcceh32
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I have stayed twice before in this hotel and find it very dark and depressing, some may like this though. Ordered room service which was not good. Waitress arrived with food not covered so by the time I had eaten my starter my main was cold. Also no bread and butter with the soup and no salt and pepper. It was as if room service was a new experience for them!. The food itself did not look appealing on the plate and this hotel does not seem keen on veg!. Another annoyance was the fact they don't do room service breakfast. I don't want to sit on my own in a restaurant wasting time before a meeting., this is a basic service provided by most hotels. The room was clean but very dark and personally I would have liked the option of a bath in my room and not just a shower.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank smac64_10
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 6 August 2010
Dear smac64_10,

Thank you for your comments. I would like to offer my apologies for the service elements which disappointed you during your stay. We are extremely focused on offering first class service in the Grill and it is imperative that we also carry this focus over to room service. It is only through such candid feedback that we can strive to improve and so I am extremely grateful for your comments - I will be sharing them with the rest of the team.

A Southerner in Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I regularly travel to Edinburgh with work and have to say the hotels I have stayed in over the last seven years have always been so-so, but at least they were a known quantity.

Last month however, a colleague of mine stayed at the Dakota and reported back that it was nice. So when I had to travel to Edinburgh a few weeks ago I stayed there too. I was quite impressed, and have yesterday returned from my second stay there.

The hotel is built on a small retail park just on the southern end of the Forth Bridge and from the outside resembles a dark brown / black glassy cube, but inside it is low-lit and understated, with an underlying elegance.

So what do I like about it? Well the extremely pleasant reception staff are always a good start, but sadly not always the norm in Edinburgh hotels. The rooms have a great ambience and you get a complimentary wireless code at check-in which helps with laptops, iphones, blackberrys etc. The location is quiet and is good for visitors to both the Edinburgh and Dunfermline sides of the bridge. Oh, and the breakfasts are great! There is also a Tesco next door, which is very handy if, like me, you forget your toothpaste! It also has a cash machine which is really useful. There is also free on-site parking.

What would I change? Only one thing really; the menu. If you don't like seafood, which I don't, you may not spend much time in the restaurant. There are a couple of alternatives to fish, but they are limited and I can imagine vegetarians really struggling here. Be aware that if you want room service there is a £5 charge, which seems higher than many of the hotels I visit up and down the country.

As I said earlier, the hotel is built on a retail park and there is Frankie and Benny's, Burger King, etc. on the doorstep. There are also nearby Chinese and Indian restaurants so there are actually plenty of options for eating nearby. I have to say that, in my opinion, the Dakota are losing paying diners to these places by having such a narrow menu.

Would I stay there again? - Absolutely. I have been there twice now and have recommended the Dakota to another colleague at work who has booked to stay there next week. This will actually be my hotel of choice in Edinburgh from now on, I just won't be dining there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Dear reaching_moon,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your recent stays at Dakota, and it is great to hear that your colleague was so kind as to recommend us to you. Thank you for your comments regarding the Grill menu. While predominantly seafood, the menu does offer a number of meat and vegetarian options, and our Chefs take great pride in using only the freshest locally sourced ingredients available. I will of course pass on your comments to the rest of the team.

We hope to welcome you and your colleagues back to Dakota in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
The Dunstane Hotel
#13 of 149 in Edinburgh
Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
#85 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!