“Great place - wonderful service!”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 November 2010

This is one of the best hotels I have visited from a value for money perspective in the UK. Great design, fantastic restaurant and outstanding service! Unfortunately if you would like to visit the city it takes a while.

The Dakota hotels do all look the same but it is definitely my preferred accommodation on business trips. Not close to the city but near to the motorway. But far enough so that you don't hear it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Joerg
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2010

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting such a positive review on Tripadvisor, following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

We pride ourselves on the standard of service that we provide, and it is a genuine pleasure to hear when a guest is so appreciative.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota in th near future.

Ross Buchanan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed 5 November 2010

Arriving at 10pm I was dissapointed to find restuarant and room service (what is the point of offering it at all) closing, although the very pleasant receptionist did offer to run and try and get something for me; luckily the supermarket next door was open until midnight - I do not think my Tesco's carrier bag was in keeping with interior designer's intentions for this hotel, which is so trendily subdued I could not read the check-in form!
Room terrific and loved the bolster cushion; few moans and groans with the bathroom - I think the hotel will face some maintence issues here. Also I asked if there was a computer or business centre available, as I wanted to check my flight, and was blankly told by the concierge the hotel had wi-fi!! - as I was clearly the one person in Scotland not to have a computer in his pocket this was very bl---y helpful.
Chic and out of the way the hotel would be a lot of fun to vist with a girlfriend - as long as the wife didn't find out!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2010

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on Tripadvisor recently regarding your stay at Dakota Edinburgh. I'm sure you'll agree that Tripadvisor is a fabulous resource for both guests and hotels alike, and I hope that you find it of more use in the future also.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the look and feel of the hotel, you would be amazed just how many comments our cushions attract!

No matter what time of day our guests arrive, we always do our best to cater for their needs, hence our receptionists' offer to see what was available for you. On this occasion, I'm glad you were able to make use of the local amenities. I must apologise for our reception team not being more responsive to your flight check request, as there is someone available 24 hours a day to take care of such matters, regardless of our guests mobile technology inventory and proficiency.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us again, and we will look forward to welcoming you, and a partner perhaps, in the future.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

from outside you think its a car showroom but when inside quite simply you think your special.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank roger1943

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for such a positive review on Tripadvisor recently, we are delighted that you appreciated the contrast between the striking exterior of our hotel to the warmth of hospitality that lies within.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 October 2010

I've just came back from a nights stay at the Dakota hotel in Edinburgh with my girlfriend. Stayed here once before and left again with the same satisfaction.

Check in was quick and efficient, the young blonde girl behind the desk was cheery and polite, offering to set up wifi in the room or make a reservation at the hotel grill.

The room was exactly line last time, very clean, warm and no noise from the outside traffic.

The shower here is pretty awesome, I think both myself and girlfriend used the amount water to supply a small village for a week!

Also we forgot to pack a bottle opener, so my girlfirend popped downstairs and got one of the waiters personal one.

All staff we net were very polite it must be said, after staying in other hotels where this wasn't the case it made such a change.

Overall a great funky hotel and a good place for business trips and a special night away with a loved one.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank scottishworker
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. It is always fantastic to hear that a guest has returned to Dakota and has enjoyed their stay as much as the last time. We set ourselves extremely high standards and to hear that we are consistently meeting these standards is very encouraging. I will pass on your comments to the whole team. I am sure our Reception Manager in particular will be delighted to read your comments.

We hope to welcome you back to Dakota again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 October 2010

Disappointed once again...this used to be one of my favourite restaurants with excellent service & outstanding food that was until about 6 months ago...I'm not sure if they've changed the chef or the restaurant manager but it's just not the same.

I ate there last week (thinking maybe my previous bad experience was a one off). We arrived & were ignored by 3 members of staff until we were almost in the restaurant - previously we'd always been greeted as soon as we got through the door.

We sat down and asked for some water while we looked at the menus. After 2 minutes we were ready to order, put our menus down and tried to get someones attention. 15 minutes later no water and no order taken....at this point I was giving them 60 seconds and I was going to walk out.

For starters I had ordered the crab with warm avocado. The crab was nice, the sauce not so nice, and the avocado....well not sure what sort of chef thinks it's a good idea to get a slice of avocado, cover it in breadcrumbs then deep fry it in what tasted like old stale chip oil...rather revolting.

Main course was pork belly with chorizo....something I've had a number of times in various restaurants...always with that gorgeous crispy fat on the top....but not at Dakota Grill where they like to serve the pork belly with revolting soft, soggy, greasy fat on the top.....I ate half and gave up as it was making me feel queasy.

A dessert of meringues was delicious - the star of the meal.

Then it came to payment......they came to the table with the card machine....the battery died halfway through processing the card....they cancelled it, they went and got another card machine, same happened, third time lucky - well we got asked to leave our table come up to the plugged in machine at the restaurant entrance, where my partner had to go behind the desk to enter his pin......I would have been embarassed if I were the manager.....but instead he smirked 'Is it just the £5 tip'...I won't be back .

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sc2001a

Dear Guest,

I was extremely sorry to read your comments regarding your meal in the Grill. Please accept my apologies for what was clearly a very disappointing experience. It is extremely rare that we receive this kind of feedback and when we do, I can assure you that we work very hard to address these issues.

It is only by such frank feedback that we can get to the specifics of any problems and so I would like to thank you for your comments. I feel sorry however that we were not made aware of these issues during your visits. There is always a member of senior management present in the hotel and I am confident that, if we have been made aware of the situation on the night, our team would have been able to turn such a negative experience into a more positive one.

Should you wish to discuss this with me further, which I would certainly encourage, please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly. Please accept my apologies once again and I very much hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 7 October 2010

My boyfriend and I found the stay at the Dakota hotel absolutely amazing! It was a recommendation from a friend, unfortunately the restaurant was fully booked when we stayed, but this just goes to show how popular it is! The room itself was the best i've ever come across in a Hotel. Very well decorated, very comfortable and I have to say I just didn't want to leave. The staff are all very friendly and polite, and the bar area is very welcoming and accomodating! We will definately be visiting again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you and your boyfriend had such an enjoyable stay with us. It is great to read such positive comments about your whole stay, from the design of the room to the atmosphere of the Bar. Should you visit again, I would highly recommend making a dinner reservation a couple of weeks in advance as the Grill can be extremely busy, especially over the weekend.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the rest of the team and hope to welcome you back to Dakota Edinburgh in the near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2010

I stayed here for two weeks and enjoyed it I will definitely come back although it would be nice if it had a swimming pool and a fitness center.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
ldavy, Public Relations Executive at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately we don’t have a swimming pool at the hotel, but we do have a residents’ gym on the first floor. Each bedroom key gives access to the gym.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
Murrayfield
Holiday Inn Edinburgh
Holiday Inn Edinburgh
#112 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!