“Well another great meal”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
Scotland
“Well another great meal”
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We live in Livingston just a 15 minute drive away. So, we probably will never spend a night in the Classy, Chique Dakota. However we somtimes go for a meal for special occasions. November 2010 was my wifes birthday so we booked the semi private dining area whe have been in four times before.
As expected the staff were brilliant, especially the ( young ) restaurant manager that has been there quite some time. Staff that take pride in their work is somewhat a rarity these days but certainly no shortage of them in the unique hotel.
The food was excellent and everyone enjoyed it as well as the nice quality red house winehouse wine.
I was the only one that had a complaint about my starter, fresh Eyemouth crab. I am normally cautious when and where I order seadood because I am a bit wary of quality. Don't even think about quality issues in this place, I trust them 100% Quite frankly there was enough delicious crab for three starters NOT ONE!! Made it a hard decision to finish it or risk forfieting a bit of my main course of lamb casserole.
Such a relaxed atmosphere. At only £150 for four which included 3 bottles of house red it was yet again a unique experience.
As I have said before, " I'll be back "
Thanks to the Dakota staff for yet another memorable meal. Compliments to the chef and servers.
If you have not been just go and try it. I bet you go back again and again. We do!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bronxglenn
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 13 December 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a positive review on your recent visit to the Dakota grill for your wife's birthday. I'm delighted that we were able to maintain the same high standard that you have come to expect of Dakota, and we'll look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Ross Buchanan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Nice free shuttle service from Edinburgh Hotel with excellent professional driver (in full Scottish kilt uniform!) was followed by friendly welcome with a free welcome drink!
Room was small but very modern and super clean, with great TV.
Good soundproofing, - couldn't hear main road (just outside the window) at all.
Restaurant service was super in the evening, though wine at scary prices and dubious quality. Food nice, but again , pricey.
Breakfast service a disaster-was placed at a table then forgotten about until I demanded service. I wasn't the only one, though I am told they were short staffed that morning.
Location not brilliant to be honest if you want to go into city but for business it was fine.
In summary, quality Hotel, but at a price.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank PeterMarina
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 23 November 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting a review onTripadvisor, following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

I'm delighted that you were able to make use of our complimentary airport shuttle service, and that Alister looked after you as only he can! The fact that you were impressed with the quality of our rooms all the more pleasing.

As I hope was obvious to you from the service in the grill and the quality of food, we pride ourselves on it being the heart and soul of the hotel. At whatever level of pricing, for food or wine, we always strive to strike the right balance between quality and value. Its very rare that we receive any comments to the contrary regarding value, but I will certainly take your comments on board with regards to future pricing decisions.

Finally, I must apologise for your experience at breakfast. Regardless of our staffing situation, our guests should at the very least, expect to receive a service with whichthey are satisfied.

I do hope that this won't deter you from staying with us again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Rooms were nice and location is good for getting out of Edinburgh. Staff are friendly except the person who delivered room service, no smile, no "hello", bit miserable.

Food was ok, priced too highly for the quality and a bit too greasy.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roddderz
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your post on Tripadvisor, following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

While I am pleased that you appreciated the quality of rooms that we offer, as well as the location of the hotel, I was disappointed to hear of your experience with your room service. There is no excuse for not greeting you in the way that our guests have become familiar with at Dakota. Similarly with the food, regardless of whether it is served in the grill or your room, it should always meet your expectations of both value and quality. Should this not be the case, for any reason, then we will only be too happy to do something about it there and then.

Hopefully we will be able to improve on "Not bad" from your next stay onwards!

Thanks again,

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2010

With a view to the Firth of Forth and the Forth Rail Bridge, the drive into Edinburgh and back again did not bother us. The quality and value of this hotel is incredible considering the nightly room charge of £79. The rooms have space, beds are comfy, the decor is tasteful, the shower invigorating and the gym has everything in it to do a decent workout. The food in the restaurant was very good both for dinner and at breakfast. The staff were efficient and nothing was a problem for them. I will be visiting Edinburgh again soon and plan to return to the Dakota.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cabaser
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting such a positive review on Tripadvisor, following your recent stay with us at Dakota Edinburgh.

I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay at Dakota, and your comparison with one of Edinburgh's city centre properties was particularly pleasing for us!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota in the near future.

Munich
Reviewed 11 November 2010

This is one of the best hotels I have visited from a value for money perspective in the UK. Great design, fantastic restaurant and outstanding service! Unfortunately if you would like to visit the city it takes a while.

The Dakota hotels do all look the same but it is definitely my preferred accommodation on business trips. Not close to the city but near to the motorway. But far enough so that you don't hear it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Joerg
Dear Guest,

We pride ourselves on the standard of service that we provide, and it is a genuine pleasure to hear when a guest is so appreciative.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota in th near future.

London
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Arriving at 10pm I was dissapointed to find restuarant and room service (what is the point of offering it at all) closing, although the very pleasant receptionist did offer to run and try and get something for me; luckily the supermarket next door was open until midnight - I do not think my Tesco's carrier bag was in keeping with interior designer's intentions for this hotel, which is so trendily subdued I could not read the check-in form!
Room terrific and loved the bolster cushion; few moans and groans with the bathroom - I think the hotel will face some maintence issues here. Also I asked if there was a computer or business centre available, as I wanted to check my flight, and was blankly told by the concierge the hotel had wi-fi!! - as I was clearly the one person in Scotland not to have a computer in his pocket this was very bl---y helpful.
Chic and out of the way the hotel would be a lot of fun to vist with a girlfriend - as long as the wife didn't find out!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 17 November 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on Tripadvisor recently regarding your stay at Dakota Edinburgh. I'm sure you'll agree that Tripadvisor is a fabulous resource for both guests and hotels alike, and I hope that you find it of more use in the future also.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the look and feel of the hotel, you would be amazed just how many comments our cushions attract!

No matter what time of day our guests arrive, we always do our best to cater for their needs, hence our receptionists' offer to see what was available for you. On this occasion, I'm glad you were able to make use of the local amenities. I must apologise for our reception team not being more responsive to your flight check request, as there is someone available 24 hours a day to take care of such matters, regardless of our guests mobile technology inventory and proficiency.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us again, and we will look forward to welcoming you, and a partner perhaps, in the future.

newcastle
Reviewed 13 October 2010

from outside you think its a car showroom but when inside quite simply you think your special.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank roger1943
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for such a positive review on Tripadvisor recently, we are delighted that you appreciated the contrast between the striking exterior of our hotel to the warmth of hospitality that lies within.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
The Balmoral Hotel
#9 of 147 in Edinburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,674 reviews
Broughton & Calton
Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (York Place)

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!