“Lovely hotel!”
Review of Dakota Edinburgh

Dakota Edinburgh
“Lovely hotel!”
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed over hogmanay 2010 and had a great stay. On arrival we were very impressed with how nice the hotel was, very well decorated and really 'homely' which is perfect when it is cold and snowy outside! The rooms were huge and really nicely decorated, very romantic! It was all very clean with everything you might need like ironing board, kettle etc with teabags, hot chocolate, biscuits etc. The staff were always very helpful and willing to go out of their way for you. Breakfast was amazing, such a huge selection! I would definitely recommend having this included with the room as it is lovely plus the hotel is a bit out of the way so not a lot of other options. The location wasn't ideal but we knew it wasn't close to the city before we went, but it is a great escape. The only problem we had was that on arrival we were told breakfast was included with the room so we had it everyday, however it turned out it was not and we were made to pay quite a large bill at the end despite our argument, however they did take one days breakfast off of the bill. Overall though I would definitely recommend it to a friend :)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I stayed at the dakota for a week on a business trip. The welcome was very nice with a complimentry drink as you check in, cocktail of the day. The service from the staff was very professional and very nice. The room was a standard room but was very nice for what it was. Very clean which is important to where ever you stay. You could tell this hotel takes hygene very serious.
The resturant was lovley and the staff extremly nice, i hadnt reserved a table before hand but they were more then willing to get a table ready for me. The food was extremly good probably the best fish and chips i have had for a few years. If you want a change if your staying for a week or so you could always go to frankie and bennys which is 2 mins away. Only thing i could say is the menu at the hotel needs to change every once in a while. But saying that i think the fish and chips were so good you could eat that a few nights in a row.
Location of the hotel isnt great but if you stay at the dakota then your paying for the qaulity and cleanniess more then any thing else.
Hope you enjoyed reading this i will be writing more reviews for hotels in edinburgh over the next few months, look out for my name on the title to read more.

Jay

• Stayed February 2011
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for leaving such a positive review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Forth Bridge.

I was delighted to read such glowing comments anyway, but the fact that you stayed with us for a week is even more pleasing. Consistency is something we strive for at Dakota, and is essential in being able to meet our guests ever increasing expectations, time after time.

Thanks again I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dakota in the near future.

Kind regards,

Ross
Ireland
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We had a great stay in this hotel. Though its style is very dark. It is very clean and comfortable. We found the reception staff extremely approachable helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2011

As a trip away for valentines weekend, my fiancé and I stayed at the Dakota Hotel in South Queensferry!
I can not speak highly enough of the hotel! Staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly and nothing was a bother.
On arrival we were checked in swiftly and given a complementary
Shot of cocktail!
On arriving at our room it was immaculate, spacious and well equipped! The only downside was
the lack of mini bar, but in all honest it was not missed as tesco
next door to the hotel had a much
better selection of goodies!
We reserved a table at the grill for dinner during our stay and I have to say that it is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in!!! I was glad we had booked as it was very busy! Probably because it was valentines weekend, and my only fault was the quick turn around. However again this was not a major thing as there are more comfortable seats in the bar which I personally preferred rather than sitting atbthe dinner table!
We did not need to go to the bar at all!! Staff were on the ball and always made sure you had drinks!
The hotel was decorated beautifully, dim romantic lighting, comfy setees and trendy fire places!
I just loved this place and can't wait to go back!

Watford
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Interesting to read the complaints about the beds here. My original room had a bed so noisy (416) that I really thought a spring would pierce the mattress any moment. I was moved next door without fuss but, though not as bad, room 414 also had a less than perfect mattress. And thats the point. So much of this hotel is pretty near perfect that the bed situation is a shame. I always marry off the price with the quality and the hotel is such a comfortble place to stay. The breakfast was worth every penny, superb smoked salmon and a museli that was out of this world. I would stay again, even with the beds clearly needing some attention. To keep some perspective, they are not park benches!!!

Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank JPHWatford
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Decided to book 2 nights in Dakota spontaneously to get away with my girlfriend and were immediately in amazement. As we entered the doors of the hotel there was a black curtain covering the warm buzzing room. Stepping out of the curtain into a beautiful stylish lobby with a amazing atmosphere was a very nice welcome. Staff at reception were lovely quick and friendly booked us a table in the grill for the following night without any hassle. We got to our room and were amazed by the beautiful room with everything you might need. Beautiful shower room with power shower that was so good we used It about 20 times in 3 days. Towels and toiletries and amazingly clean. Beautiful huge bed with plenty of storage and flat screen tv with a wide choice of channels to keep you happy. Dressing table with mirror Internet conn and power supply. Beautiful big comfy chair. Food was amazing the next night and we decided to stay an extra night which the receptionist dealt with instantly. Only downside is that something in the room, I'm assuming it was the toiletries or maybe what the bed sheets were washed in caused myself and my girlfriend to come out in rashes all over which took about a week of dry skin on parts of our body to go away. Overall a perfect modern place that you won't want to leave. The grill is not to be missed either.

• Stayed January 2011
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2011

i agree totally with the last reviewer. The hotel was lovely and the restaurant food was fantastic! Top marks chef! We had venison ragu and the rump steak and I'd recommend them to anyone.But, surely the whole idea of a hotel is somewhere to rest for the night?The mattresses in the hotel were thin and dreadful. We had an incredibly bad nights rest. Such a shame because we loved the rest of the hotel. We won't be back to stay although I'd absolutely eat at the restaurant again.

• Stayed February 2011
ldavy, Brand Development Manager at Dakota Edinburgh, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
Good evening,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Dakota Forth Bridge.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the food so much, especially as you commented on the Venison Ragu. Chef has only recently added this dish to the menu, and it was a huge hit amongst everyone when we did the menu tasting for it. We've even handpicked a new Italian red wine from Biferno, arriving later this week, to offer our guests as a wine match - its going to be sensational!

Regarding the poor quality of sleep that you experienced, I can only apologise if you felt that this was caused directly by our mattresses. As I ensured our other guest who had a similar recent experience, we do operate a mattress maintenance programme to prolong the life span of our mattresses and optimise guest comfort as best we can.

I have also passed your comments on to our Housekeeping Manager to ensure that close attention is paid to this matter.

Thanks again for your comments and should you decide to stay with us again in the future, I hope that you are rewarded with a far beter nights sleep.

Kind regards,

New Town
The Principal Edinburgh
The Principal Edinburgh
#25 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Dakota Edinburgh? Share your experiences!