Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry
Diggle, England, United Kingdom
“Overnight”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We were on the way to Aberdeen for the weekend and broke our journey to see the Inn which is alleged to be the inspiration for the Inn in Kidnapped we had a large room with a separate sitting room and good bathroom although the Forth Rail Bridge is above the in the trains did not spoil our stay they don't run in the night the complimentary Continental breakfast was good all in all a worthwhile break PS the Hawes Inn food is OK but average

Room Tip: Room 14 overlooks the rear car park but the view is not unpleasant and the room is large and ticked...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your review, we do appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments following your recent visit to The Hawes Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
manchester
Reviewed 29 October 2013

To be honest after reading reviews, my family and i had great rservations about staying here. This was shattered by a fabulous stay with a room to be complemented by the money we paid, and the food yet again to be really really good and the service we had from both keith in the evening and lee at breakfast was 2nd to none... There was nothing to complain about, their hospitality was fantastic

Room Tip: rooms 1 and 2 were great. maybe the bathrooms will need tlc before long but that is the only reason...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
We are so pleased to hear that you found The Hawes Inn a good place to stay, and we really appreciate you leaving positive feedback on Trip Advisor. We have replied to you personally as it is our aim to give every customer the very best experience possible.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

First impressions from outside.....nice, in a good location just along the road from the old village, directly under the railway bridge.
Check in was fine, I was allocated room 2
Room 2, back out of the bar front door and turn left, a separate door further down the building is used for accessing rooms 1 and 2.
Once inside the room it was not a bad size with a great view out of the window, one table lamp had a broken shade,a few minor paint scuffs on the walls and ceiling, I would say you could tell it was a "lived in" hotel room.
The bed was comfortable though and the flat screen TV was not a bad size.
Not impressed with the bathroom, I do not like to see white grouting which is brown in places and black lower down, a bit bleach would sort it, the shower was hot enough though, also the sink could do with resealing to the tiles behind it, lots of gaps which are a breeding ground for germs,
The restaurant bar....first night went to the bar got served straight away and sat at a table, within a coupe of minutes the waiter came over and asked if I wanted to order which I did(only a main course and another drink though) he took my order and my food appeared about 10 minutes later which was a pie in a small dish which had been severly overcooked which left the crust virtually impossible to get through with a knife when the waiter came back to enquire if everything was OK I complained and the food was taken back to the kitchen and a new plate of food arrived after another few minutes this was cooked better but the pie filling was not to my liking after all this so most of it was left.
The second night took at least five minutes to get served at the bar as there was only 1 staff member behind the bar, I got a drink and sat at the same table as the previous evening but I must have had my "invisibility cloak" on as the waiter who was working this evening just kept walking past my table, after about 20 minutes I caught his attention and asked if I could order some food, his reply "yeah you order at the bar"????
Off I trouped to the bar to order my food.....food arrived, poor meal again.
In summary, would I stay here again, No

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Anon186394
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
We were sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us, and we really appreciate the feedback you have given us.
edinburgh, scotland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The hotel (?)(which appears to have retained it's legacy as The Hawes Inn) is situated almost squarely beneath the Forth Rail Bridge. So, as you'd expect, the sound of passing trains can be heard from bedrooms. Thankfully, the trains aren't too frequent neither do they run into "the wee sma' hours). Unless you like trailing luggage around, you'll find the journey between the car park and Reception a bit convoluted and we hoped that we didn't have go all the way back to access a room at the rear after check-in. As it happened we (2) had room 12, a large family room with which we were very happy. Reception/Bar staff were helpful and friendly on what was admittedly very quiet Monday evening. The continental breakfast included was adequate, although you can upgrade at a cost if you wish.

Room Tip: Whilst a train journey to eg Edinburgh from the nearest railway station (Dalmeny) is an attractive p...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you for reviewing our Innkeepers Lodge. Your feedback is most appreciated and will be noted by everyone at The Hawes Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry .
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had a fantastic experince in the Innkeeper's Lodge. We stayed two nights and the views were amazing, as others have noted.

We were a bit wary though, after reading some less favourable reviews, and as we arrived we were slightly apprehensive, which was a mistake. The check-in was smooth and courteous, the welcome was warm. The room was stunning, beautifully laid out with amazing views. Our evening meal was excellent, served efficiently by a very cheerful waitress. Breakfast? Well the food was very good, and the breakfast host, Leigh, is a treasure.

We were in the room closest to the railway, and I am a very light sleeper, but the trains were no problem. The presence of the bridge adds to, rather than detracting from, the whole experience - and, no, we aren't trainspotters.

Can't fault the place at all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for posting your kind review about your visit to The Hawes Inn, South Queensferry on Trip Advisor. It is our aim to give every customer the very best service and experience possible.
Best regards
Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We visited on the recent Ferry Fair weekend. Admittedly the place was busy but I think we got the smallest and dirtiest room in a very old and run down establishment.
Arriving at 8.30pm we had to fight our way through the busy bar to the "check-in" at the end of the bar - and pay on arrival. With hindsight I suspect this is so that you can't dispute the charge on departure!!!
We were allocated room 9 which was very small - not at all like the photos on the website. The carpet looked like it hadn't been hoovered and the maid obviously doesn't have a duster (or doesn't know how to use it). The shade on the bedside lamp was an absolute disgrace - dusty, stained and (almost) held together with sellotape!
The view from the window WAS beautiful but spoiled by dead flies on the window ledge.
The hotels states that all rooms have en-suite bathrooms - not this room it only had a walk-in shower.
Breakfast was another disappointment - we paid for a full cooked breakfast which included poor quality streaky bacon - not what you would expect in Scotland for the price charged!
There was only one person serving at breakfast and she complained both mornings about being stressed because they were so busy - made us feel that we had come down for breakfast at an inconvenient time for her!
This was an expensive weekend away at £255.80 for 2 nights and certainly not value for money.
In my opinion stunning views over the Forth DON'T compensate for poor quality accommodation!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlisonCee
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Trip Advisor. We were very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your recent visit to Innkeeper’s Lodge and we have replied to you personally about this.
Best regards
Innkeeper’s Lodge Edinburgh
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The woman in charge of the breakfast was a delightful woman who provided a great spread of food and was friendly and professional. The location and overall charm and beauty of the place was wonderful.
When I checked into our room I soon looked out the blankets as it was quite a cold day. As I opened the blanket I was disturbed to see the single thin poor quality blanket was covered with grey hairs (not mine) and much to my disgust had a large amount of dried bodily fluid on it. I went downstairs and brought it to the attention of the woman in charge who told me she had no extra blankets. I politely expressed my displeasure and she eventually did bring us more blankets.
The only table lamp in the room was like something pulled out of a bin and mended with tape.
The mirror and picture frames in the room were brushed metal of some sort and totally unsuited to what should have been "vintage" decorating.
When I settled in to use the free wifi I was informed that in order to access the advertised free wifi I would have to provide a UK phone number. As travellers from out of country I could not do that, as I would assume is an issue for many people who are staying at an inn. So....no wifi.
In general this was somewhere with great potential but showing obvious signs of a lack of attention to detail.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lorna R
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
We were sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your visit, and we really appreciate the feedback you have given us.
Thank you.
The Staghead Hotel
The Staghead Hotel
#4 of 4 in South Queensferry
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry? Share your experiences!