“Generations of Maine”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Morse family has generations of history fishing the waters of Midcoast Maine. The lobster you order was freshly caught in traditional lobster traps. I personally know three generations of the Morse family and have always been impressed by their work ethic, honesty and willingness to help others.

The food is terrific, as fresh as one can get! The service is exemplary, even in the most busy rushed hours. My waitress actually fixed my glasses when a lens popped out!

While I mourn the loss of their 'on the wharf ' restaurant location, they are far more visible now in the current location. The downside is that parking can be a real problem, as space is very limited. I would suggest they advertise the cooperation with Rob Williams Real Estate more prominently.

As a visitor to Maine, you cannot get better food, drink and service! Cathy's chowdah is to die for!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Very enjoyable meal at Morses. We were recommended to come here by our hosts at the nearby Captain's Watch B&B and were not disappointed. As we are from WV and acustomed to expensive lobster (and not nearly as good), we were in seventh heaven to discover twin 1 1/4 lbers on the menu for $19.95. What a deal! Since there are not very many restaurants nearby, we actually came back for a second visit two nights later and were equally enthralled with the lobster and scallops! We watched the comings and goings of the nearby lobster shack all throughout dinner as we were seated at the window overlooking the shack. After dinner, we decided to go over there and talk to the gentleman cooking and selling the lobster. Had a great conversation with him and learned lots about lobsters and lobstering for 20 mins or so. Found out while leaving that we had been conversing with the owner. Only in Maine! :-)

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We had a bowl of haddock chowder and haddock dinner and it was $44.79!! That is way over what most restaurants are. The chowder and dinner were ok but much better at other places.

Atmosphere is nothing special - better water views many places. Staff is ok but really lacking. Would not return.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We planned to be early for supper, but we still had to wait over an hour and a quarter, standing around the crowded bar until we were seated. The hostess was very friendly and kept things moving right along helping with clearing tables and answering questions. We were seated at a table overlooking the water which was very nice. Our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable as well as attentive without being intrusive. The mussels in wine sauce on the Appetizer list was a recommendation so I tried that for my dinner and it was one of the best preparations I have enjoyed. It was called an appetizer, but it was a full meal for me with the garlic bread that accompanied the mussels. Dunking the bread in the broth was delicious! My husband tried the broiled scallops over a house salad, and the serving was a platter of salad topped with several nicely broiled scallops and served with a balsamic dressing. He would have enjoyed a few more scallops for the price (about $9.00 for half a dozen scallops) in addition to the $10.00 for the salad. We were too full for a dessert. A fellow with a guitar entertained us during dinner and played requests from a listing at the table. It was really quiet noisy (diners were having a good time with lots of talking and laughing throughout the restaurant) and unless you were seated in the main dining area, it was difficult to hear the music. (The party next to us ordered the lobster dinner and it was served on a platter bigger than my huge turkey platter! It looked delicious and next time I think I will try that!)

1  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Of course they lobsters were wonderful, the view awesome, the friendliness, great service,........comfortable all round! We'll be back!!!