Hollywood Casino Bangor Hotel
US$135
US$109
US$145
US$141
Bangor Inn & Suites(Bangor)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$98
Quality Inn(Bangor)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$100
QualityInn
Best Western White House Inn(Bangor)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$99
The Country Inn at the Mall(Bangor)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$114
All reviewsparking garageepic buffetslot machinestable gamesriver viewgaming floorgreat roomconcert venuerooms are bigcross centernon smokingnice sizea king size bedhotel stafffront desk staffcomfortable bedsa great place to stay
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hollywood Casino
in Bangor - very relaxing atmosphere, friendly staff, and the
buffet was great !!! Would recommend and will certainly
return........Thank You Nancy Kelly - Naples, Maine

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river.
Thank Carl J. K
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The room we had overlooked the river; it was beautifully decorated. Certainly, high end, large room, & a most comfortable king bed. We checked in & relaxed in our beautiful room; had an adult beverage, while enjoying the view,before going down to the casino. Check in & check out was very efficient, & staff very friendly. Will go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here recently while my wife was attending a business meeting. The hotel is only 5 or so years old and very neat and clean. The parking garage provides convenient parking. Located a 5 minute drive to the downtown area, there are several good restaurants in the area, and many more within a 10-15 minute drive. There is an attached casino for those interested, and a buffet which we found lacking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed and played at this property several times now, so finally I offer my review in earnest.

Let's start with the cons, because that's what most people want to know about first.

Yes, I understand this is in Bangor, Maine and not Las Vegas, Nevada. However having been to the latter many times, and to many of its hotels/casinos, I am therefore going to compare this property to my previous gambling experiences.

Ultimately this place, like all casinos, is interested solely in taking your money. However they could be a little less obvious about the money grab, and at least try to provide SOME value and entertainment for your dollar.

First - $5 per transaction at the ATM? Complete rip off. The most I've ever paid was $3 in Vegas, or anywhere else for that matter.

Second - $5+ per drink while gambling? I understand they cannot comp your booze per Maine law, but they can offer drinks at a lower price as at least some form of accommodation. Plus the drink service was very, very slow for such a small place. Get more waitresses or faster bartenders.

Third - not enough tables, and a poor selection for what they have. Only a few straight BJ tables (with 3-2 payouts) surrounded by other games with terrible odds (e,g, Let It Ride, Spanish 21, etc.). Table minimums are also incredibly high. Visited on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend, and three $25 BJ tables remained empty most of the night. There's a reason for that Mr. Pit Boss.

Fourth - poor slot and video gaming selection. Slots were tighter than a frog's you know what, and the place seemed to be dominated by penny machines, which caters to an older crowd. I guess this is their bread and butter, so to speak. Comps were ridiculous. I put several hundred through the machines and earned 81 cents in comp cash. Someday I suppose I will be able to get that free pack of gum in the gift shop.

Fifth - adding to point # 4; I think the average age of the visitors here was 70. Not bad if you're 70 or older I guess, and that is your scene.

Sixth - limited food and entertainment. There's a buffet and a small snack bar. The buffet is hit or miss (good prime rib and desserts but water-logged crab legs and shrimp). The bar located in the center of the casino is boring. I guess it would be better if they had better bands playing there, but I think Two Jills and a Jack were in residence the night I was there.

So what about the pros? Yes there are some.

First - the place is clean and well kept. Overall the staff seemed friendly given the constraints they had to work with.

Second - the rooms were decent size. Amenities were OK. Free Wifi, good TV, good bathroom. Hilton quality, but a bit overpriced.

Third - free parking, but something tells me they may start charging for this as business falls off to the competition (both in and out of Maine).

Fourth - good location, right off the highway, but again, it's in Bangor. There's not much else in the immediate vicinity (unless you're going to a concert/event down or across the street). There is also a shopping mall and golf course a short drive away.

Fifth - the "Hollywood" theme kind of worked. Neat, old-timey posters all around the place. Would be nice if they used some of their dead space for exhibits, artifacts and such, but hey, that would cost money.

Sixth - they are supposedly opening up a new bar and grill soon, which should add some variety to their food and drink options, and give the old folks another place to sit without losing their pensions.

Bottom line - if you're doing something else in Maine and this is on the way, give it a try for one night. You might get lucky. However, it's certainly not a worthy "destination" by any means. Save your money and visit some real casinos, or better yet - save your money and go to Vegas.

9  Thank Leaving_LostWages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel has large and very clean rooms. It is a very well kept property. The staff are helpful and friendly. They treat you like family. The rooms even have a coffee maker.
The Casino is quiet, clean and odour free.
The whole property is smoke free.

2  Thank mcintra