“So GREAT that I stayed longer than I had planned”

Courtyard by Marriott Bangor
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is right off I-95. It is about a 10 minute drive from the hotel into downtown Bangor or downtown Brewer (close, but not walking distance). There is a LOT near the hotel; Target, Walmart, a huge mall, tons of chain restaurants (fast food and sit-down). There is nothing really within walking distance, you would need a car – but all those stores are a very quick drive up the main road - you can see them from the hotel. Acadia National Park is about a 45 minute - to an hour drive away. There is plenty of free parking, and good free wi-fi.

This hotel is awesome. First, it is super clean. Second, there is a very friendly staff – everybody was so nice. I loved everything about the hotel. Third, my room was perfect. It was really spacious, and I loved the big bathroom - it had had nice shelving, and a longer-than-usual tub, with like a little bench area; that was so nice. The beds were comfy and the room was spotlessly clean. I had a reservation for 2 days, then added another day, then another; I ended up staying 5 days because the place was so great.

They don’t feed you at this hotel, so no free breakfast. But, there is a very nice little café in the lobby. There’s a Starbucks there and you can order breakfast, then it closes – then opens again for dinner. I didn’t eat at this one, but I have at other Courtyards and the breakfast is pretty good. The only thing I got here was good coffee. They also serve alcohol at night, I believe.

Now, most important – something I really loved – there was a recycling bin in the room! I travel a LOT, and this is maybe only the second time I have seen that. I always wonder why hotels are not required to recycle. It was surprising because I had just come from a New Hampshire hotel that did not recycle (I thought NH recycled everything!). So, I was happy to see when I got into Maine they had this bin. It made me love this hotel even more. I could go on and on like I usually do, but I won’t. This is a great place. Stay here, you won’t regret it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
BangorCourtyard, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bangor, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! Our associates will be thrilled when I share your thoughts with them. They take great pride in their service to our guests and comments like yours keep them motivated!
We hope to see you back with us on your next trip through Bangor.

At Your Service,

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Hubby and I stayed here for 2 nights and will definitely be coming back. After a day of shopping we came back to the room to freshen up to go out for dinner. It was so nice to sit back on the couch instead of having to stretch out on the bed to have a pre-dinner drink and snacks while watching a little TV and/or listening to music. The decor is modern and the rooms impeccable with white linen bedding. The only reason I did not rate this a 5 was the high prices at the Bistro.

Dear Canadian neighbor,

Thank you for choosing the Bangor Courtyard by Marriott for your recent shopping trip to Bangor, Maine. Thanks for mentioning our great location, minutes to the Bangor Mall shopping area and restaurants. We're just minutes from downtown too! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Hotel lobby is very nice and inviting. We got free wifi but breakfast was not included in our room rate. The room was a little small but nice and functional. A close drive to restaurants and the Bangor mall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant area

Dear Guest,

We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. Thank you for choosing the Bangor Courtyard by Marriott for your trip to Bangor, Maine. We hope to host you on your next visit. Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have stayed here twice: once right after they had just opened and recently in October 2013 on a business trip to the area. As another reviewer noted, the hotel used to offer free tea and coffee in the lobby; now they do not and you have to pay at the bistro. This is a bit unfortunate, especially if you just want to grab a coffee in the morning before heading out. You may want to consider booking the breakfast rate at this hotel. It is only about $15.00 more than the standard rate and includes breakfast for two. This means you can order whatever you want at the bistro and get free refills on coffee or tea. If you are hungry and have time to eat, it will be worth it. I ordered the Breakfast BLT and a strawberry and banana smoothie. Both were very good and freshly prepared. Service was quick but it was not too busy either.

The first time I visited here I thought the rooms were excellent. Now, I am not so sure. The room with one king bed has the TV positioned at an angle, so that it is difficult to see it while you are in bad, or to put it another way, the bed faces the window looking outside instead of the wall, which makes watching the TV a bit awkward. The heating/cooling system has this naughty habit of turning off and on all night long. This interrupted my restful sleep. I tried to turn the fan on but that made the room very hot (even though the temperature read 67). On the other hand, WiFi worked fine (for checking email) and the room was very clean. The bed was comfortable and I did not see any stains in the carpet.

My most recent stay was on business and I booked two separate rooms. I requested that the charges for both rooms be put on a single folio. This makes it easier for me to get reimbursed from my school district. They said at check-in that this was not possible. I was a bit annoyed when other hotel chains have no trouble doing this. The staff at the front desk and at the bistro were friendly, however.

Room Tip: Higher floors will be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Your comments indicate that we did not meet your expectations and we apologize. I hope that when you reported the issues during your stay that our staff was eager to address your concerns. We should have mentioned to you during your stay that unlimited complimentary coffee is available in your guestroom and I am sorry if we neglected to mention it. Starbucks coffee, tea and specialty beverages are available for purchase 24 hours a day in our Bistro. Guestroom TVs that do not line up directly with the seating area or the bed can be pulled out on their slider and rotated up to 90 degrees to adjust to the different angles you desire. Again, I am hoping that we were able to address your concerns while you were with us. Our entire staff is dedicated to your service, we would never want you to regret any part of your visit.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn while in Bangor. Room and cost was comparable. Room clean and quiet, a must for me. We usually book nonrefundable a month or so in advance to get the best deal. Would not pay the regular rate listed a few days in advance. What I missed the most and this May seem minor, was complimentary tea in the lobby. I went down and bought a tea $2+ and so bought some tea bags and made some in the room. Front desk staff are efficient and personable. Fellow at the bar needs some customer service training. We ate out, so can't comment any more on the Bistro.

Room Tip: At the rear of the hotel facing the trees.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
BangorCourtyard, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bangor, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Carol,
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and thank you for choosing the Bangor Courtyard by Marriott for your recent trip to Bangor. You are correct! The advance purchase rates are a fantastic deal! We also have some great Marriott Rewards member discounts that you do not have to book so far in advance. I hope you decide to stay with us again the next time your travel plans bring you back to Bangor.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

First, the property is very nice with all the std Marriot interior design innovations. What I was disappointed in? The fact they did not have a coffee service, the hot tub was chlorinated to the max, the restaurant was priced twice what I would pay in Boston. Two gin and tonic with bar gin $20.00, really?

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. Your feedback is very important to us. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to address your concerns. Complimentary coffee should have been available in your guest room, with unlimited availability of extras at the front desk. I’m sorry if this was not communicated to you while you were with us. We also have Starbucks available for purchase 24 hours a day in the Bistro. I am hoping that when you reported the hot tub chlorine issue that it was addressed immediately. Our associates are quick to respond to maintenance issues. Yes, you are correct in thinking that the price of your drinks at $20 was high. My calculation for what you stated you ordered is different than that total. Please call me at the hotel directly to discuss reconciling this error. I can be reached at 207-262-0070.
Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this Courtyard. After reading some of the nrgative reviews I was expecting the worst.
However although the property is an older one it is very well maintained and the friendly staff more than make up for any minor faults you might find. The room itself was very well maintained and spotlessly clean. It had obviously had some upgrading done to it. I must congratulate housekeeping on a job very well done. My room was probably the cleanest I have ever seen at a Marriott Courtyard or similar property. I would definitely return to this Courtyard on our next visit to Bangor.
Oh!! And yes the cookie and milk delivered to my room in the evening was a very nice touch.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank unionjack1
BangorCourtyard, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bangor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our Bangor Courtyard by Marriott on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear that we pleasantly surprised you! Thank you for the positive comments regarding our cleanliness and our friendly staff. I will be sure to share them at our daily associate meetings. Our associates take great pride in providing the best service to our guests. Thank you for providing us the opportunity to share your thoughts with them.
Please join us again the next time your travels take you through the Bangor area.