“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Courtyard Bangor

Courtyard Bangor
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Halifax, NS
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I loved the Marriot Bangor. I received the hotel as a blind bid on Priceline so I was extra thrilled at the deal I was able to get.

The staff were helpful, the rooms were clean, beds comfy, and bathrooms modern. I loved that there was a fridge in the room and the heating was responsive to my changes quickly.

I stayed there for two separate nights. It was quiet and on the second night we were next to the ice machine and still didn't hear it running.

The area is super convenient to downtown Bangor (what's left of it) and to the shopping malls and restaurants.

I liked the Paul Mitchell shampoo products in the bathroom. Very nice conditioner.

I didn't mind paying for coffee and breakfast because it was $12 for two of us and still so much better than anything that would have been offered for free.

I felt that some reviews I read of this place were not fair to this hotel and that people complain way too much.

The pool is a bit small, if you have kids. This hotel is definitely more appropriate for adults and people without kids.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 1st floor and on the 2nd. I felt that the curtains were sheer so I might prefer...
Green Features: Would like to know that this hotel participated in the recycled soap program but didn't see any evidence of that.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
BangorCourtyard, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Bangor, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Kudos to you for finding a great deal on the internet for your stay at our Bangor Courtyard by Marriott! We love that you loved our hotel! Thanks for mentioning all of the great amenities that we offer to our guests.
We're happy to hear that you had a great stay and hope that you'll choose us for your next visit to the Bangor area.
Hope to see you soon,
Kim Whitmore
Front Office Manager
Bangor Courtyard by Marriott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I understand that the hotel was full due to graduation weekend but the line for breakfast was unacceptable. One person serving a huge line with no complementary coffee is not the Marriott I have been loyal to for decades..noise from room above kept us up most of the night...at the Hilton a Garden Inn tonight and it is magnitudes better..maybe time for a switch.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Doreen S, General Manager at Courtyard Bangor, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Bangor Courtyard by Marriott. Please accept our sincere apologies for the noise you experienced as well as the delay in receiving your breakfast. I'm also disappointed to learn that you were not made aware of the complimentary coffee located in your guest room. Please allow me to assure you that we did anticipate a large number of our guests taking advantage of the Bistro due to the 10:00 a.m. start time for the first graduation ceremony. Four associates were scheduled in the Bistro, our Director of Operations was on site, and I was also on hand. I'm sorry that I didn't have the opportunity to personally address your concerns while you were staying with us. I would like to speak to your directly about your visit, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

207-299-9071
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I were in Maine over the Easter weekend. We stayed at this hotel Friday and Sunday night. Both days the front desk staff were so pleasant and accommodating . Even the manager came out to say hello on Easter Sunday. I love that the requests we made on booking are taken care of prior to check in and the check in process is done within minutes. We enjoy staying at this hotel whenever they can accommodate our special rate. The hotel is very clean and we'll maintained and the rooms are very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zacharysmimi
BangorCourtyard, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Bangor, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our Bangor Courtyard for your visit on Easter weekend. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor-I can't wait to share your comments with our associates!
We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to the Bangor area.

At your service,
Kimberly Whitmore
Front Office Manager
Bangor Courtyard by Marriott
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Excellent location, just off the I-95. Clean, spacious, quiet room. Very comfortable beds. Breakfast buffet wasn't the greatest. Bar closed at 10:00 on Sunday night when I was hoping for a glass of wine.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HalanW
Doreen S, General Manager at Courtyard Bangor, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
I hope you don't mind if I comment on your profile picture. I have a black & white kitty of my own and the adorable cat in your picture made me smile. Thank you for visiting the Bangor Courtyard by Marriott. It's great to see that you found our accommodations "Excellent". We look forward to you returning to stay with us again. On you next visit please inquire at our front desk should the Bistro be closed. All our associates have been trained to serve beverages; it would be our pleasure to provide you with something to drink. Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor.

Kind Regards,
Caribou, Maine, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I booked the hotel through Priceline bidding and was weary at first...until we arrived. The entire hotel is modern and inviting, the front desk staff were pleasant, our room was huge! Great experience

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Casey N
Thank you for mentioning our fantastic associates on Trip Advisor. Our staff is genuinely dedicated to your service! We hope you will consider staying at the Bangor Courtyard in the future.

Houlton, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

The room was awesome the beds were comfortable, I loved the fold out chair for extra bed space my 4 year old thought it was great and the 6 year old enjoyed having his own "Big" bed. The staff was awesome they helped with the wii in the lobby and they broke up a party occurring at 0200 in the hallway. In a non confrontational manner. The pool was very small not quite what I had expected and the price should include breakfast. No breakfast was my only disappointment. The kids love waking in a hotel and going to get breakfast. We didn't go because we found it more affordable to go out after we checked out. The hot tub was broken day 2 but it was nice the night before. It was a fun weekend and the desk attendant even apologized for the 0200 party. Great part about the pool is hours 0600-2300. NICE! Wii area by the bar made it not so kid friendly during night hours.

Room Tip: our room was on the backside and no highway noise:)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank family2travel516
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I know it's nice to have breakfast included when you travel, for this reason I would recommend considering our "Stay for Breakfast” package. It's a great value for families and includes many delicious choices in our Bistro. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Bangor Courtyard and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

This was my first stay at this hotel while in Bangor for a business visit. I tend to favor Marriott hotels, so wanted to try this one out. I've read some of the negative reviews and find them to be very unreliable for the most part (trying to squeeze 8 people into 2 rooms then complaining, front desk staff attitudes, hot tub complaints??). But there are 2 issues that are a concern, and the hotel may want to address the first: the beds are uncomfortable. The bed I had in room 403 was far to lumpy and soft (without much support). As soon as I sat on the bed to get in I thought I would end up on the floor. I had to roll over to the far middle side so I didn't feel like I would roll out of the bed during the night. But, since I was alone, it was ok after that and I did get a decent night sleep. Since Courtyards are pretty much designed for business travel, I would hope the management would look at improving the sleep quality for their guests (king beds for business travellers!). The other concern is that the hvac system does not seem to be controllable. The thermostat may work but the off button doesn't seem to, at least in my room the blower kept blowing after i shut it off. Now, I don't get bothered by the noise while sleeping because I never leave home without earplugs - that eliminates sleeping issues with blower noise, door slamming noise (they have to slam to ensure closure for security), and neighbor noises. The problem I had is that the blower is situated just next to the desk, and while sitting and working the air was blowing right on me. I had to put my brief case on top of the desk to block the breeze. This was more of a nuisance than anything, but unless the vent cover is adjustable, you have to deal with it. Not a major problem.
As for location and noise, I do not understand the "off the beaten path" or highway noise complaints. It is on a side road right off the major Rt 95 exit and yes, you can see 95 from the hotel. Couldn't be more convenient for hopping on/off the highway and for food/gas/shopping/etc, all within a eye sight of the hotel. It is located after some car dealerships, but not right next to them. Many hotels are located in commercial/industrial zones for a reason, but I found the location just fine and even with my room facing the highway, did not hear noise or at least didn't notice any. There is construction going on right in front of the hotel, so perhaps that blocked some of the noise, and they did start working rather early - 7 am - but I was already up and working. As for the hot tub complaints - I never use hotel hot tubs for health security concerns - and by the way - that's why the chlorine is over the top! If you don't smell chlorine, run the other way.
I did not use the cafe, but know that they exist in Courtyards and what their pros/cons are. Don't stay in a Courtyard if you expect a free breakfast buffet - end of story.
I will stay here again, found the staff friendly and helpful, room was clean and well laid out, plenty of parking. Again, for me the ease of off/on the highway is a plus. And I do appreciate hotel management that tries to address customer issues, as this staff appears to have done. Some customers are just too hard to please. I recommend this hotel for your stay in Bangor.

Room Tip: room on the back side of the hotel if you don't want to hear ANY highway or construction noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 82sammy
Doreen S, General Manager at Courtyard Bangor, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you very much for your detailed & thoughtful review. I'm very pleased that you decided to stay with us. I know life on the road can be difficult; your comfort is our top priority and it's our goal to enable your success while you travel. I will personally follow up on the concerns you expressed about the fan & the bed in your guest room. I'm sorry you encountered these issues and thank you for bringing these items to my attention. I hope that you will stay with us again when you're in the area. Please feel free to contact me or my staff if we may be of assistance in the future.