“Wonderful all-around experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fiddlehead
Ranked #12 of 178 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A great restaurant that deserves to be listed on tripadvisor.
Brooksville, Florida, United States
“Wonderful all-around experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Reservations are suggested, though we got in with no problem on a Thursday, late. We were greeted promptly and pleasantly, though my observation that the wheelchair lift on the staircase was HUGE was not met with a laugh. Anyway.................

Our server (David) was speedy, friendly and on the numbers. He suggested and then brought several samples of wine for me to try before I settled on one. Extra cornbread and molasses? Why, of course! And deeeee-licious. Then, dinner was timed perfectly. I like that they had local ingredients with rich flavors. It was my first meal in Maine, so I can't comment on how inventive it is for the area, but for the big city I live in it was pretty good. You should definitely give them a try.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Not Worth Dealing with the Owner/Hostess”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The food is good, and especially inventive for Bangor/Eastern Maine. BUT the owner/hostess Laura is moody, temperamental, and just odd! You never know if she will be friendly and accommodating or rude and easily offended. Don't send anything back, ie an undercooked burger! She will go off the edge. Massimo of Massimo's just across the solarium is the polar opposite. Consistently friendly and easy going. He is getting an increasing number of people dining with him after being put off by the attitude next door.

3 Thank Ron C
Turner, Maine
“Absolutely terrific!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We went here not knowing anything about it and with no comments from anyone. This is an eclectic kind of place with a really fun menu that features things like chicken and waffles. I had the best fiddle heads I have ever had and I've lived in Maine for 40 years. My husband had lobster bisque that was light and very tasty. The wait staff was fun, friendly and very interactive but not intrusive. Great wine list, most by the glass. Try this place when you are in Bangor. Also neat environment.

• Visited May 2014
“Details”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

They pay attention to detail.....work hard....and produce delicious food in a terrific in town spot that's trendy but cozy.

Visited June 2013
Portland, Maine
“Not sure it's worth the prices, but very good nonetheless”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We'd heard all sorts of wonderful things about Fiddlehead. The atmostphere, food and staff all received kudos from everyone I talked to. Not that anything was bad....it's just that perhaps I expected so much more.
We were part of a large party during graduation weekend, and made reservations for later in the evening. We were seated a few minutes (well, 20) after our reservation time, but it was busy and this is a tiny restaurant. The service was friendly, and you can tell they're passionate about their food, but it was fairly slow for so late in the evening. We were hungry, had waited and drinks took a while. We all ordered cocktails, some ordered salads and aps, but I will say that the menu is confusing...First, Second Third, After?....does that mean you get one of each? Al a carte? Some of the aps looked like sides. I was baffled, but managed to order the plum martini (fabulous, actually I had three!!) mediterranean salad and pork loin special. The salad was delicious; crisp and green with a wonderful dressing, and I had a bite of my husband's fingerling potatoes that he ordered as an ap. Those were delicious,as well. The pork was unfortunately, dry. No rub that I could identify, not much in the way of seasoning, and really disappointing. I actually told the waitstaff to undercook, because I actually sort of know my way around the kitchen and realize that pork can be tricky. Anyway it was pretty well done and difficult to eat. Hubby tried a bite....he wasn't impressed either. The chef's steak (organically grown Scottish Highlanders and apparently we were supposed to be excited about that description, but you can see that breed at Fryeburg Fair...), was breathtakingly expensive at $32 per plate, but nobody complained. That did include a beet risotto (the highlight of the evening, in my opinion) and another side of choice. I am not a beet lover, and I'd give this place another chance for the recipe.

We had chosen this restaurant because of the pretty impressive reviews, but I'm not sure I'd recommend this as a group destination. I think this is a dining spot specifically for couples, where you can take your time and choose from the menu carefully, however the noise level is pretty impressive. The total bill (they added in a 20% gratuity because we were more than 6) was right up there with your average mortgage payment, and included multiple cocktails but not dessert. I think I'd like to try Fiddlehead again...this time earlier in the evening with the hubs. Maybe it's better the second time around.

• Visited May 2014