“Such a comfortable place with friendly people. I didn't want to leave!”

Fireside Inn & Suites, Bangor
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Canaan, NH
“Such a comfortable place with friendly people. I didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Our trip to Maine was to help move our daughter back home for the summer from UMO in Orono. I chose this hotel to stay in after reading all its great reviews. I just noticed a truly bad review has been written since then and I just would like to ask "Who is this person?" I believe they certainly do not know what they are talking about. This place was the best! Everybody that works there is so friendly. The rooms were clean with such a cozy decor. The beds were very comfortable with their "memory foam" mattresses. The bathroom was just as clean with a bathtub/shower that I didn't want to get out of. I (as a woman) love the mini complimentary Bath&Body Works set of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap that were left in a mini basket for us to use. The room also had a mini coffee maker with everything needed for great cups of "New England Coffee" to be made right in the room. This was nice to have while getting ready for the day ahead. The room also included a hairdryer and iron to use if needed. It also had a television and 2 really comfortable sitting chairs with a table in between. Attached to the Inn is Geaghan's Pub. For dinner we dined on the Pub side and enjoyed the baseball game with the other patrons as we ate along with a truly Irish note. The people that work there are wonderful and the food was incredible with such reasonable prices. Although the Inn offers a Continental Breakfast we chose to eat breakfast the next morning at Geaghan's again but on the dining room side. This room is nice too to sit in with all its train memorabilia and history of Bangor. Along with all that it includes name plates of famous people placed on the back of the booths they sat in. Again the waitstaff was wonderful and the food was delicious. Both my husband and I really enjoyed our short stay here.
Our daughter has 3 more years to go at UMO and we have made this Inn our choice to stay in in the upcoming trips to Maine. It is located close to a lot of things to do in Bangor so if your trips are longer than ours will be there will still always be plenty of things to do. The Fireside Inn & Suites gets 5 stars across the board from us.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
thpalmer3, Owner at Fireside Inn & Suites, Bangor, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Wow, thank you for all the nice things you had to say about us!! Hope to see you soon. Tom Palmer Partner/GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hampden, ME
Reviewed 16 March 2009

I was in town for 2 nights for a family birthday and just general visiting with friends and family. This hotel is in a great location with Hollywood Slots right next door, the Bangor Auditorium right accross the road, and a few restaurants within walking distance. Short $5.00 cab ride downtown to some nice pubs and nightlife.
The room was nice with a king bed. The room inclued a gas fireplace and a great flat screen tv (probably a 42 in...I didn't get out my ruler). Bathroom area was nice with a granite style vanity. The room also had a microwave and refridgerator. I didn't use either one but those are always nice for longer trips.
Like I said, Hollywood Slots is right next door so of course I ended up over there the first night. Pretty busy and had a good time. I believe the hotel was very full my second night based on the amount of cars in the parking lot when I got back late that night/ early morning after visiting with friends. Apparently pretty quiet even when filled up which is always a nice surprise. All in all a great stay and I will definately be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Thank you! We are in the heart of Bangor and much less expensive than other hotels. Your thoughtful comments are deeply appreciated. Tom Palmer Partner/GM
Boston
Reviewed 2 November 2008

The adjoining restaurant serves excellent breakfasts, as well. And this hotel/motel is within easy walking distance of the Greyhound station downtown.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank LonesomeMeatball
Thank you for your comments. Tom Palmer Partner/GM
Rotterdam, New York
Reviewed 26 October 2008

My husband and I have been staying at this place ( before it the name was changed to Fireside Inn) we have been staying here for the past 5 years and have nothing but good things to say about this place. It is quiet, clean, price is good. the bed are the most comfortable to sleep on..they have temper pedic beds. The sheet are always clean, blankets are always clean, bathroom is clean. The rooms may not be the biggest room but big enough for a small family. People there are nice and do their best to make your stay as best as it can be. The restaurant in the Inn is really good..the food is great, the waitstaff there is very nice friendly. There is a small bar and the bar tender is a nice guy. There is a small continental breakfest which is cereal, bagels, donuts, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, toast, pastries stuff like that. I really like this place.I have never had a bad experience. For those in the military they give you a discount for your stay which is really nice.

• Liked — Everything was good here, people working there were all nice and helpful
  • Disliked — cant think of anything
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank robsgurl
Thank you! I will pass your kind words on to the staff. They are the ones that deserve all the credit. Tom Palmer Partner/GM
Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2008

What a find! Not fancy schmancy but clean, very comfortable bed and quiet. So much better than the usual name-brand "inns." Front desk staff was very helpful. Coffee in lobby 24 hours. Nice continental breakfast that you bring to your own room. Speedy free internet.....a table adjacent to an outlet would have helped. Room had a table and two chairs but only one grounded plug so that made connection difficult but not impossible and not enough to neg this inn. The restaurant on premises has great service and good food, too. No need to go out on a cold wet dark night. The bread pudding gets 5 Stars (out of five) and also has a really good seafood chowder. Inn is located about one mile from the downtown which looks like an Edward Hopper painting. Great gift shop downtown called Grasshoppers and nice antique shops. Fireside is also only about 20 minutes to the airport and two gas stations nearby have inexpensive gas. Of course I'd stay there again.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable and quiet.
  • Disliked — Hard to plug my computer cord into the socket near the table. No big deal breaker.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GalleryStars
Thank you for your constructive ideas. Tom Palmer Partner/GM
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2007

My husband and I planned a weekend shopping trip to Bangor and were looking for a basic, budget hotel to stay at that was clean and comfortable. There seem to be a lot of poorly reviewed places in Bangor so I was a bit nervous booking this one.

I have nothing but good things to say about this place. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The staff were courteous and the checkin took all of 2 minutes to complete. The breakfast was decent (cereal, bagels, sweets, juice, coffee, etc) and the coffee was good. A nice touch. The beds were comfy and the bathroom was clean (very important to me!).

It was located only a minute off the highway and seemed to be in a nice area. (Although they are constucting a casino next door, it never bothered us on the weekend.)

This place wasn't luxurious by any means, but for what we paid ($90/night) I feel like it was a fair deal. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank janunder
Thank you!! We try to keep our rates affordable. We want you back! Tom Palmer Partner/GM