“Cheap but dirty/unwelcoming”

Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
“Cheap but dirty/unwelcoming”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I have stayed at many Motel 6 locations throughout the US and more often than not I was pleasantly surprised. Not so at this Motel 6. Although service provided at check in was friendly, the rooms look dirty, old and worn. They smell of smoke and dirty carpet, in spite of the fact that supposedly we got a non-smoking room. The carpet looked as if it had not been vacuumed in a long time, especially the harder to reach spots. The whole hotel has an unpleasant and kind of a scary feeling. As was mentioned by some others, the pillows are very thin. There were various long black hairs on the towels.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonairetraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
nova scotia
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I'd like to start by saying that I booked this hotel with low expectations - I didn't expect a Hilton hotel for $65.00 a night. I have stayed at Motel 6 (Portsmouth, NH = 5 stars for a 1 star price) locations before and have been thoroughly impressed with the quality & affordability. The Motel 6 in Bangor, however, was consistently disappointing.

We booked this Motel 6 room for a late night check-in/layover on the drive to Massachusetts. At the top of the stairs leading to the front-facing second floor rooms there was a sizeable blood stain (I say blood stain with confidence that it wasn't just a red liquid... it was very obviously blood). The carpet of our room was stained and dirty, there was a single pain killer pill sitting in the middle of the floor, the bath tub and sink counter were stained, and the beds (although freshly made and comfortable) were questionable and we slept on top of the blankets just in case. There was a large hole in the bottom corner of our front door that a small mouse could have easily fit through and the curtain on the window didn't quite fit.

The location of the hotel is good - just a few minutes from downtown Bangor and across the street from a Mobil gas station, and our room was equipped with a mini-fridge and microwave. However these few perks definitely did NOT balance out the downfalls. I will NOT be returning to Motel 6 Bangor.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank bee902

Travellers are raving about these Bangor hotels

Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2011

After reading online that the rooms had been "refreshed" I was very disappointed to see no improvements what so ever to the room we were given. The carpet looked dirty. It was fairly quiet for sleeping though. It wasn't until the next morning , when I went to use the shower, that I found several long hairs in the bathtub. Neither of us has long hair, nor do we have dark hair. I will say that the girl that checked us in was very friendly and she even delivered a couple of extra pillows to our room as I had requested them on our reservation. We probably got our money's worth, but the dirty bathtub really turned me off.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Noonanite62
Campobello Island, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We traveled to Bangor for an overnight stay. Had a problem with check in because of our canadian credit card but got things worked out. The room was dirty and disgusting!! The odor of the room was disgusting the minute we opened the door. Didn't look like the room had been cleaned in a while! My husband got very sick in the early evening so we decided to leave and go home (2 1/2 hour drive). Explained to the clerk that my husband was very sick and that we needed to leave. Would not even partially refund our money. As it turned out, my husband was a lot sicker than we knew at that time.. had a heart attack and after spending that night and the next two weeks in hospital (which he is still in) is awaiting a bypass. The dirty rooms and unacceptable accomodations were truly not our excuse for leaving but will never stay there again!! Plus, when we were checking into our room, there were a lot of 'shady' people hanging around the rooms, loud and obnoxious..wondering if that was their pemanant residence??? Sure looked like it!! A trip that won't be forgotten!! This place needs to be shut down!!

Room Tip: If your smart, you won't ask for a room here!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank glenna23
East Lawrencetown, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Arrived at Motel 6 Bangor ME around 10:30 pm tired after a day of travel and shopping. Had booked for two nights and just wanted to get some sleep. We had a uneasy feeling when checking in as the area was not clean and we were told the room with the queen size bed smelled like dog. Being tired we took the double bed and made our way up the stairs to the room from hell. Inside the room, the carpet was filthy (our sock feet stuck to it), The bathroom was dirty and there were several hairs floating in the toilet bowl. I wish we had just checked out then. We decided to check the bed and OMG --- the threadbare comforter had brown stains on the underside. The grey blanket could not have been thinner and the folded down part had multiple round holes which looked like cigarette burns. One of the pillows had a dry brown stain----puke maybe? The sheet had a huge dark brown stain which got lighter towards the edges. It was dry also and had soaked through the mattress pad. My wife got sick at this point. We took the pillowcase and sheet to the front desk. The clerk, though he said he was sorry, did not seem shocked at the situation. We did not stay the night and were given a refund. The clerk did NOT offer to find us another place to stay. All we got was a list of hotels and their phone numbers. We drove to the Ramada and although they had no rooms available as was the case with most hotels -- a concert in town--- their clerk made numerous calls until she found us a room. THANK YOU RAMADA!!!!!!! I am a professional entertainer and have traveled North America for the past 30 + years and I have NEVER encountered anything that comes close to my experience at Motel 6. I also own a travel agency . I would NOT stay at Motel 6 in Bangor if they paid me. If it were up to me, I would have a 6 foot barrier around the property to protect those passing by when the doors opened .After you fill in their survey, good luck trying to get in touch with someone from head office.
Someone should check this property and close the doors until things are brought to at least minimum standards. We love Bangor and we love the people. This property is a black-eye to the town and the state.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank funnyone48
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed in a room in the winter and the heater didnt work, upon calling the desk to see if they could fix it they said they wouldnt be able to get to it. the sheets were dirty and wrinkled, obviously not fresh, had someones hair on the pillowcases. Torn wallpaper and a hole punched in the wall. and the shower drain was clogged with vomit. This was the single most disgusting place I have ever seen.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank echabe
Cheverie Nova Scotia
Reviewed 22 April 2011

If you just need a good clean place to lay your head for the night this one is it!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple