“A Fine Property”

Best Western White House Inn
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Because of a very early flight the next morning I needed a place in Bangor to stay, as the drive from Bar harbor at 4 in the morning was not something I was looking forward to. Having never been to Bangor, or Maine for that matter prior to this trip, I opted for brand recognition for a place to stay: it was a good choice.

This property, unfortunately, is tucked behind a very large truck stop. The approach to the lobby leaves one wondering if they had made the right choice. (BTW: in all of my years of travel, a first: the truck stop actually DELIVERS to the hotel. Their menu is in the room.) Any concerns were assuaged upon entering the property.

The lobby area was well lit, warm and inviting. The reception staff was friendly and most helpful. The breakfast area, off the lobby looked bright and cheery, although I had to depart before breakfast was available so I did not sample the product. The property is undergoing a renovation, although this did not interfere with my stay. My room, which clearly had recently been renovated was large. There were 2 large chairs with foot stools and an ample table/desk (regrettably under the air conditioner). The carpet was new and the color scheme in the room was calming, yet bright. There were ample wall out lets for modern wired travelers.

The room was equipped with a Keurig coffee maker. The bathroom was pretty standard for a Best Western, usual amenities. One major difference for me, from other Best Western's, was having adult size bath towels. There was a very large flat screen TV. Something that NEVER happens: the liner for the is-bucket actually FIT, without having to fight with it.

On the down side, minor though it was, there was no writing pad or pen in the room. My room was at the top of the steps to the lounge (Rm. 120). While the lounge was not hopping during my visit, I would not recommend this room. Robin (I hope I spelled that correctly) the bartender, was very pleasant and attentive. The lounge prices were good as well.

For those with children or a collector of "stuff" on travels, the room has for purchase a rather large Teddy Bear that says: "I slept at the White House, Bangor, ME."

All in all, a good choice for the night and barely 10 minutes from the Bangor International Airport.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for letting us know you enjoyed our property. We are so glad to hear that you found everything to your satisfaction. I am sorry you did not get a chance to enjoy our free hot buffet breakfast. It includes many choices including make your own waffles with strawberries for topping. There is supposed to be a note pad and pen in the nightstand that the phone is located on. I apologize that one was forgotten in your room. I will share your comments on the lounge with the bartender Robin. She will be pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit with her. We look forward to hosting you again if you are ever back in our area.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Hotel offers good clean and well appointed rooms. Upgrades are continually occurring. They provide an excellent breakfast with many options both hot and cold. The outdoor pool is a pleasant relief after travelling all day in the summer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of our property. I am so glad that you find our rooms to be clean and well appointed. We are constantly doing improvements to our property and I am pleased to hear that you notice and approve of them. We have added to our breakfast and hope that we have found something for everyone on it.. The pool is great on these hot humid days. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our room was large, and nicely furnished with a table and two chairs plus plenty of open floor space. Exterior access was available for ground floor rooms, making unloading and loading easier and quicker. The room also had a door to an interior corridor which allowed access to the hotel lobby, lounge and meeting rooms without being exposed to the weather. The room rate was not inexpensive, but not unreasonable for the type of facility and for being close to a major (at least for Maine) metropolitan area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are so glad to hear you were pleased with your room. I hope that you got to enjoy some of our other amenities such as the heated outdoor pool, hot breakfast, indoor hot tub and exercise facility. We hope to see you again next time you are in our area.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very pleasant staff, extremely comfortable beds, room. Good breakfast with large assortment of food to choose from. Enjoyed the pool, and close proximity to shopping and resturants. Would recommend this hotel as a great place to get away and relax !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. We love to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us. Thank you for recommending us and hope that you will stay with us again if you are in our area.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here one evening (while visiting Bar Harbor). The hotel is under some renovations and does need some updating. However I must say from the moment we arrived till the moment we left, our stay was nothing but enjoyable and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. They even made a point of contacting us in our room a few hours after our arrival (to make sure we were happy and see if we needed anything)!!! Our room was nice and clean and very spacious (plenty of pillows on our king bed)...nice complimentary toiletries and there was a single cup Keurig machine for morning coffee. They do offer a complimentary breakfast (hot and cold buffet)...nothing fancy or special...but when you’re in hurry it is very welcomed. The hotel also has a lounge, a workout room and an outdoor pool (we r did not use these amenities though so cannot comment on them). My only complaint would be that the hotel corridors were very very warm (not sure why they were not air-conditioned like the lobby and the rooms)? This is not a “getaway hotel”…but certainly a place of choice if you’re passing through and need a room for a night or two. We would book again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We rely on our guest's feedback to let us know how we are doing. We are so glad that you found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. We are glad to hear you were pleased with your room also. The Keurig coffeemakers are a new upgrade to our rooms and seem to be well received. We look forward to your stay next time you are in our area.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I had booked an overnight stay at this particular hotel due to their pet friendly regulations. Our room was on the third floor. It was in the older part of the building. Wood beam postings on ceiling and loft like feel were nice. The air conditioning was extremely noisy. The room was not cleaned well (but I left a tip because I know it's hard to keep up in pet friendly rooms). The carpet in particular was filled with crumbs. I'm lucky I'm petite at 5'2" but my husband who is 5'11" barely fit taking a shower-it was bit ridiculous. Evidently, part of the hotel is remodeled but our room was very dated.
The hallways were quite warm. Our room was hot when we checked in and very uncomfortable.
It wasn't expensive-think total was about 119 or 117; however I did expect a better space.
The front desk was professional. They do offer a continental breakfast. I only had a chance for coffee which was excellent. The check out time is 11 am rather than 12 pm. I asked for a later check out at 11:30 am and was told as long as we were out by then, it wouldn't be a problem. Housekeeping was lurking around and we departed prior to 11:30 am. We had traveled north from mid atlantic state.
The hotel has trucker/diner nearby. My husband picked up take out. It was very good.
We actually changed our hotel plans for an overnight stay in Bangor to Augusta on our way back from vacation because we didn't care for the hotel.
The staff is on top, hotel is needs work, lovely dog path though.
There appeared to be many regulars who stay. The hotel is well rated.
It's directly off I 95 so if you book a room, make sure to ask for side not near 95. My understanding is that side is quite noisy as related to me by some of the regular's. The older part is located in a quiet location of hotel with pet friendly rooms.
*Staff was lovely to lab pit, Sadie, and asked to give her a treat in am. I appreciate small touches such as that. Staff is great.

Room Tip: -Pet friendly -Ask for room away from I 95 -If not traveling with pet, ask to stay in newer part o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize that you were not 100 percent satisfied with our hotel. Comments from our guests telling us what we need to improve help us to better serve our customers. I am so glad that you found our staff to be accommodating and friendly. If you do like the third floor rooms, we do have some pet friendly ones that have been renovated recently and we have more on schedule on third to be done. You can request to be in a pet friendly room that has been remodeled. They are quite unique in style. We hope you will come back and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked a room at a special rate online, and 2 days later ended up in the hospital. When I called to try to change the date of my stay to a time I would not be in the hospital, they flatly refused to do so.. As a result, I paid $160.00 for a room I never used!! I find that to be unacceptable!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I apologize that you booked an online special rate that was an immediate full pay and nonrefundable. I checked the online site that you booked from and it does warn you before booking that this is nonrefundable and cannot be changed for any reason. I also saw that they offered a rate that was able to be canceled by 4pm on day of arrival. We always recommend to guests to make sure when booking online to check the rules of the rate and to book a room that can be canceled or call us directly as we allow a 4pm on day of arrival cancelation I hope that everything is well with you.