“Ok but depends on what you wang”

Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Here are the pros:

Convenient location. Can get on highway and zip around bangor and get over to bar harbor etc.
If breakfast is included, the menu items are good (buffet looked so so)
Pool is a good size and you can actually swim lengths.
You can get a free pass to the golds gym next door. The gym is excellent.
Front desk staff are really nice and helpful.

Negatives
Old looking hotel. Not particularly nice location.
Breakfast room is not nice.
Rooms let in noise both from corridors plus outside.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LarrymanChelmsford
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear LarrymanChelmsford,

Thank you for your candid review. We are glad you found our location convenient and our staff nice and helpful. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I travel all the time for work, and I do stay there very often. It's clean, and usually very quiet. The onsite retaurant and bar are very convenient. The staff is allways friendly and helpfull. If you are in the area, I would highly reccomend staying there. Great value and convenience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very clean.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Hubby and I recently stayed here for one night while traveling through the area. Convenient location not far off the I-95. Hotel is older and shows its age but a few renovations have been done. Beds were comfortable. Room was clean. Pool area was average. There is a bar/restaurant on site although we didn't check it out. Dunkin Donuts next door. The rooms are not sound proof at all. We were unfortunately awakened at 2:00am by the loud screaming drunk young females in the room next to us. Husband tried calling front desk to complain and had to call five times before someone answered. The noise did see to quiet down somewhat after a while. We would consider staying here again as we did get a reasonable corporate rate through hubby's work. However, would not want to pay full price room rates to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank highlandgal_41
Brettski22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

I'm glad you found our rooms to be clean comfortable. I do apologize that your rest was disturbed by noise from another guest. I also apologize for our desk agent's slow response to your husbands calls. I will be sure to address this issue. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, your feedback will help us better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Bangor is a super quiet place. I found friendly people as I interact around. Call my attention the great dedication to service of hotel personnel. When calling about anything you may need with different people at the phone or front desk the result was the same. People wiling to provide you with an excellent answer to your needs. When traveling to this Maine area this is an excellent place. No far from Bangor Mall 6/7 miles.

Room Tip: First floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Martin L,

Thank you for your candid review. We strive to provide our guests with an extraordinary experience and we are pleased to have the opportunity to do that for you during your visit with us. Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I came to the hotel to stay while I was working at the mall and when I arrived in Bangor my car broke down in the hotel parking lot. the staff was amazing, every desk agent, van driver and server I encountered was kind and caring to me. they were able to shuttle me back and forth from work during my stay and let me leave my car there until it could be towed. The van drivers brightened my day with their kind words and genuine caring attitude when I was having a rough day. on top of that the room was very nice and the bed was so comfortable! Pete and Larys lounge was lively on a Saturday night but not too overwhelming like some places downtown. After the great service I received here I will never stay at another hotel in bangor again other than the Holiday Inn!! thanks so much!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Brettski22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience. I'm sorry your trip didn't go exactly as planned. I'm glad we were able to help make things better. It is great to hear that our efforts were appreciated. I hope you are able to get your vehicle back up and running soon. Good luck and we will see you next time.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

The hotel was nice and had been updated. The restaurant was excellent for dinner. The two Serbs were great. I had a Philly steak and the portion size was nice and the food quality was good as well. My only complaint would be if you get a room facing Golds gym pleas ask to be moved.... We had spent a long day touring from Saint John down the coast and lights out at 11:30 at 12:10 a train decided to lay on the horn and woke everyone up not a good evening. Then to top it off after the sound of someone loading about 30 glass bottles into a garbage bag it was our turn for a knock on the door at 8:20 on a Thursday morning. (Forgot to put the sign out on the door) so remember if you can see this view from your window insert ear plugs if the train comes or ask to be moved.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pointsguy
Brettski22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry your sleep was interrupted. We are happy to here that you enjoyed the restaurant. On your next trip ask for a courtyard facing room. These rooms quiet and the view is beautiful. I'm sure you would really enjoy one of these rooms. Thanks again I'm sure others will find your review very helpful.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

As other TA reviewers mentioned this hotel is a bit dated although there was some facelifts for lobby area, and more importantly your rooms. Hotel was constructed in a strange way with multiple attachment of 60s-70s style building wings. I've been to newer Hilton with better price but I also aware that hotel price in general is higher in Maine. So like Newfie1963 just mentioned, try to find coupon or something.

Here are some highlights of this place:
1) At least this place has not copied what some greedy Hilton places have been doing. They first will give you more competitive room rate and then charge let's say $15 for internet, another $15 for parking and then even for newspaper!
2) There was a deal for lobster dinner at that time; two 1 1/4 lbs lobsters including salad and a side for $24 (woohoo). Sadly, no free breakfast.
3) This is a place for exercise enthusiasts. First of all, there is a nice size exercise room and then there is a pretty big indoor, heated pool you can even do lap swim (see posted photos). It must be the one of the biggest pool Hilton ever had. If it is not enough, you can also go to nearby Gold gym for free.
4) Rooms are renovated and beds comfy. Great job.

Funny, spooky experience: Also try to tell you that hotel management can't be responsible for all actions of crazy visitors.
I tried to use the indoor pool and as I described earlier, hotel is constructed in a weird way and entrance to the pool is next to the gym with small sign on hallway, without showing any glimpse of the pool. Then guess what, it is locked. I tried to used my room key and all I saw was yellow and red colors on door knob. Later I found it was locked from inside. So I went outside to find alternative entrance, one kid sitting at the end of the building, doing nothing. Then I saw another young guy who didn't say anything when I said hi. Wow, it is more like in Stephen King's movie now. Then, I saw three people, two sitting near the pool and one teenager dipping her legs in water. I was still trying but unable to go in from outside. Finally I was able to find another entrance next to the gym (no keycard needed) and I was praying hard that I'm not entering into unknown dimension or invisible friends are awaiting for me. When I went in, those three people stopped talking and basically do nothing for 5 minutes and then disappeared. I hope they are not ghosts but why on earth they locked the door from inside! So it was just the pool and me for like 10-15 minutes, with errily sound from one of the previously opened shutters because it was hot inside. Finally 2-3 family came and of course everybody enjoyed a big pool and became alive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple