“Exceptional on one important point...”
Review of Ramada Bangor

Ramada Bangor
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Maine
“Exceptional on one important point...”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I've been using the Ramada Inn for meetings for at least several years... and while the facilities are in some respects dated I've noticed continuing improvements--including the brand new pool. Since I'm not a regular overnight guest, I can't comment at great length regarding that aspect. But I can say that based on many hours running meetings on week days, evenings and weekends, I would not hesitate to stay overnight.

One exceptional feature of the Ramada is the absence of employee turnover. For the most part, I'm dealing with the same people I have from the start several years ago. That's almost unheard of in the hospitality industry. I would not claim that there haven't been minor problems or issues, but they are solved rapidly by employees who seem committed to customers and guests.

I've done meeting planning around the country for quite a few years and the Ramada in Bangor may not be the newest or brightest, but it is memorable for customer service. If you're planning a function, I would definitely recommend you give them a look.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Walter B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We entered the front door of this building and my first thoughts were ok this will be nice.They said go around the building to the fouth door.We then opened the door to find what a smell.We went to the second floor to our room and opened the door to find dust on dressers and around the bottom of bed to have stains on it. We went to store and bought oust to get rid of the smell.The bedding was fair.The linen for bath was clean.tub and shower was good toilet also. This place I would have to say is good for young teens that don't care,as noise level after 1am was quite loud.After the on site bar closed.I feel they need not to spend so much time trying to fool you at the front door and put more effort in cleaning and upgrade the rest of the building.

Room Tip: Howard Johnson Portland A+
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tk S

Travellers are raving about these Bangor hotels

Halifax
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at the Ramada Bangor this past weekend. I chose this hotel because it advertised a fitness centera and free wifi. Well, the fitness center was a closet with 2 ancient treadmills and nothing more, and the free wifi didn't work in my room. I was able to get wifi further down the hallway but couldn't get a signal from my room.

The hotel is old, dark, bleak and smells horribly. The hallways are dark with low ceilings, old stained dark carpet and a dank, musty odor mixed with the smell of sweat and cigarettes. My room was listed as "non-smoking" but still smelled of cigarette smoke. The bathroom had a strong moldy smell that seemed to originate from the dirty shower curtain. The bed was new and the sheets clean, but the bedspread and blankets were stained and old. I stripped the bed down and slept with just a sheet over me.

The walls of the hotel are paperthin and you could hear every word of every conversation in the hallway and adjacent rooms. About 1 in the morning there was a group of drunk people in the hallways running up and down the halls and slamming doors. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up to check on it, however, the slamming continued for over an hour and a half. I also saw a man bringing a prostitute to his room down the hall where they had a "noisy" encounter. In the morning there was a freshly scrubbed vomit stain on the carpet (no mistaking what made the stain, but at least they cleaned up up)

The breakfast is not included (despite several website stating it is). There is a restaurant on site, but the food was mediocre at best.

The only positive I can say about this hotel is that the staff were very friendly. They were unable to help with any of my problems. When i inquired about the internet there were no other rooms available as the hotel was full. I called about the noise in the hall and they were very pleasant, but nothing was done to help the problem.

This hotel is rate 2.5 stars. I have stayed in 1 star hotels that have cleaner, nicer rooms than this. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. The hotel is priced higher than many others in the area; i paid the extra thinking I was choosing a nicer hotel with a fitness center, free internet and breakfast included, but this was simply not the case at all.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank tuss
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I stayed at the Ramada in Bangor Maine in August of this year, and many times prior. I've stayed at many hotels in the past, and they've been ok. The Ramada has the largest standard rooms I've seen yet! And the beds put my brand new pillow top to shame, and the pillows bounce back, they never go flat! The bathrooms are a bit small though as I have a problem with tight places. There are brand new LARGE flat screen televisions, and all of the king size rooms have fridges and microwaves built in. If you need a room with 2 double beds, you can request a set, and the Front Desk will do their best to find one for you, if they cannot, they offer to let you use the Hotels walk in.. VERY ACCOMODATING!

They have a brand new pool too. I've been there in the past and the water had been cold; a problem due to a damaged water line causing them to have to fill it constantly. I remember going once during the month of December and the pool was shut down. It was unfortunate, but once they explained they were remodeling it, I was very excited. I found it to be well worth it at my return! The water was beautiful! They even put lights within the pool, so they can turn off all the room lights and the pool can be lit one solid color or be set to change colors.. it was awesome! They even took out the rough floor and replaced it with a smooth / textured floor.. no more sore feet walking across the floor! And we found out that a person can use the pool without being a guest. You just pay a small fee and you can swim all day!

Our last stay was during a concert. We had no idea where to go, so we went to the Desk to ask for directions and the girl grabbed a sheet with written directions and addresses to all the local hot spots! Very organized. Before even explaining the directions, they offered to give us a ride for FREE to the concert and gave us a card to call for a ride back when we were ready! This was such a relief since we were not familiar with the Downtown area. The driver was very pleasant too. He told us a bit about the city and other popular areas to visit while we were vacationing.

The next morning we ate at Barnaby's Grill. The service was superb! Very friendly, and quick! Everyone at the Ramada were so eager to hold conversations with us.. really made you feel at home. The food was delicious and the portions were HUGE, and very inexpensive! We had lots of left overs and our coffee cups never went empty! They even gave us a free refill to go!

I had noticed a few concerns regarding online booking and showing up to the wrong type of room. If I could offer some advice.. This had happened to me once. We booked a non-smoking king room. The reservation appeared to be correct when I got my print out, but when I got to the hotel I found that the reservation they had was a smoking with 2 double beds! I was not pleased! The Front Desk girls were very appologetic, and helpful. They offered us free breakfast to help compensate, and gave us some valuable information. When you book online, the company you book with will book you into whatever is available. You may have asked for a non-smoking room, but they typically will book smoking rooms with a comment that you'd like a non-smoking. The girl at the Desk informed us that sometimes they're able to change the room if they have the availability, but unfortunately they did not during this stay. They supplied us with Febreeze and offered to place a purifyer of sorts in the room while we'd gone to supper. It helped. They suggested if we book online to take advantage of the awesome deals, we could always call the property afterwards to ensure we've been booked into the right type of room. I also didn't know that these online sites tend to force reservations through even if there isn't a certain room available; so you think you've rented a king size bed, but you may get there and they've had to switch you to 2 doubles because the online site sold a king that they didn't have available. We've taken their advice and started calling to confirm the reservations and room types, and haven't had a problem since! Over all a great place! Great people! Very friendly and willing to just have a conversation with you as long as they are not busy.. I have graced them with my presence many times, and they've always entertained my need for company :) I absolutely love the Ramada, and will never stay anywhere else as long as I can help it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MonaLeeza2011
New York, NY
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Sadly, we had a sub-par experience at this hotel. The bathroom floor was filthy, with visible dirt and coffee stains. The furniture in the room was soiled, to the point that one of the couch arms was nearly black with grime. The curtains in the room were worn and torn. It was one of the most expensive hotels in the area; was dirty and had no free breakfast. Hopefully this place can clean it's act (and place!) up.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chompchompNY
Free_Martin_CHA, General Manager at Ramada Bangor, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear ChompchompNY,

Thank you for your review. It would be very helpful if you could call me to discuss your recent stay. I am particularly interested in the room you stayed in. It would help a great deal in the quality control process.

Free Martin CHA
Rothesay, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2011

A recent trip to Bangor for a shopping trip included a stay as the Bangor Ramada Inn which was far below what was acceptable. We have made many trips, not only to Bangor but several other cities in North America and this was probably the worst place we have ever stayed. Of all the hotels we have visited in the Bangor area this would be the last place we would stay and even if it was the only room available in the entire city we would avoid this place in the future. We booked a Non-smoking room and upon check in were giving a smoking room. When we mentioned to the front desk clerk that we had reserved a non smoking room which our confirmation stated instead she blamed the booking site and stated they must changed the booking. She was very rude (we did not get her name) and seemed uninterested in our concerns or would even attempt to resolve the error; it seemed to us they simply ignored our reserved non smoking room and simply gave it away while trying to pin the blame on the booking company as making the change.

The room had a heavy smoke smell and our niece, who is 4, can suffer from breathing issue and this smoking room was prime for causing an attack. We opened the window, which did not have a screen on it to help air out the room some. After airing it out and running the AC during the night along with giving our niece her puffer we were able to avoid her having an asthma attack.

The hotel is nice looking from the outside and in the lobby it is nice but once you get into the hallways and rooms they are a bit dingy. The back of the bathroom door and floor around the toilet were dirty and everything appeared to be slightly unkempt. We noted that the room was short on bath towels, the toilet paper roll was almost empty and the cups for the in room coffee maker were not there. We called down to the front desk to request these items and the man that delivered the items brought a couple cups, another roll of TP and 4 hand towels since he said they were out of clean bath towels. Have you ever tried to dry yourself with a hand towel after a shower, good luck!

The pool area is decent, a basic pool, and it is deeper than others you will find in most hotels, the shallow end was around 4 feet deep and the deep end went down to approx 9 feet but overall it is just a basic pool.

This hotel does not offer any breakfast items with the room rate, which was higher than most hotels we have stayed in the Bangor area. The hotel next door to the Ramada which we have visited previously offers a lower rate and includes your breakfast. The restaurant on site at the Ramada is run by an independent company and the food is decent but again not part of the hotel rate; I do not believe they offer any discount for being a hotel guest.

Overall this hotel is on the bottom of my list for hotels in the Bangor area, the rude customer service and poor cleanliness of the rooms would make we want to avoid this place in the future. Some Ramada’s can be a hit and are very nice but this one is a big miss and if you want a place in Bangor there are a lot of better choices out there for better rates and service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Pweb44
Free_Martin_CHA, General Manager at Ramada Bangor, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear Pweb44,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We at the Bangor Ramada value all comments from our guests. As much as we like to hear the complimets, we also like to hear about specific areas where we can improve. Once again, thank you for your feedback. We are addressing the areas you identified.

Free Martin CHA
Newport
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stay at the Ramada quite a bit...I love the rooms...the flat screen TV's and the Staff are always helpful! I look forward to staying again...

Room Tip: all the rooms I have stayed in are nice rooms...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kkelly85
Free_Martin_CHA, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Bangor, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Kkelley85,

Thank you so much for your feedback. The beds and pillows have been a real hit with our guests. Some guests have actually asked us for the information on where we purchased them so they could look into them.

Thanks again,