“Beware”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bass Harbor
Bass Harbor Campground
Reviewed 5 October 2012

On August 8th I contacted Bass harbor Campground to reserve 2 cabins for a family vacation. I did the reservation by phone and paid a deposit with a charge card. We were coming to camp on August 25th. On August 10 I learned that our granddaughter had to have emergency surgery and asked to cancel our reservation. At that time the people at the campground told me that they had a 21 day cancellation policy and refused to return my money. They are disputing the refund to my charge card and I have lost $500. if this is such a nice place why can't they rent a cabin with two weeks notice? I was shocked by the lack of concern for my family situation

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank 860Cindy

Reviewed 8 September 2012

This was our fifth summer staying in a cabin at Bass Harbor Campground, which is on the southwest side of Mt Desert Island, often correctly called the quiet side of the island, compared to Bar Harbor.

We keep coming back to Bass Harbor Campground for two reasons. Because you just can't beat the value for the price -- less than $100 a night for a whole week. And, more importantly, because our kids love it here! Every day our 8- and 11-year olds swam in the heated outdoor pool. They rode their bikes around the campground. Our teenager chilled out in the cabin, enjoying the complimentary wi-fi, even though there’s not enough bandwidth for heavy gaming or videos. We all enjoyed roasting marshmallows at the campfire right outside our cabin. And our beagle enjoyed the smells of nature.

Quiet hours start around 9pm. The pool opens at 9am and closes at dusk. There’s a laundry room on premises as well as a small general store in the office. The staff are friendly and helpful. This summer one of the workers helped adjust the seat of one of our bikes. They all made us feel very welcome. Down the road is Gott’s Store, which serves awesome pizza. Around the bend is beautiful Bass Harbor Lighthouse, which you can drive, bike or walk to from the campground.

Do not mistake this lodging for a hotel room. It’s a cabin. The mattresses aren’t thick but they’re fairly firm. You’ll need to bring your own sheets and pillows. We bring our sleeping bags, too, because it can get a bit nippy at night. During the day eating at the picnic bench right outside our cabin, we were frequently visited by wasps; they never stung us but next time we’ll bring one of those big net tents to keep them and the mosquitos out.

Room Tip: We’ve stayed at three different cabins at Bass Harbor Campground – the Potting Shed, C3 and C7. All...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We were camping there the weekend of Columbus Day so the sites were not full. We found a nice spot away from most tents next to a small magical meadow, which at night was steeped in full moon's light. It was super quiet while we were there, the bathrooms amazed us as super clean and well maintained and the price was perfect. We usually stay at States campgrounds as they are the cheapest but this was a nice change not to have been greeted by grumpy rangers but rather two very nice and helpful ladies. I would go back there anytime was it not so far from NYS.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2011

While, this is a very clean and friendly place.I would NOT stay here at Bass Harbor again. Our site was squished between two others and I can literally hear every word everyone says, and basically "reach out and touch someone." No idea why they put us where they did, when they have plenty of delightful empty sites...maybe because we requested sewer. However, when we called they said, that we were in the woods, and secluded and no one was around us. We would have easily given up sewer for what we thought we were getting. We would have complained, but got in after the store was closed (7 p.m.). There was no picnic table, but once we asked, one was delivered in a timely manner. We really couldn't sit outside and enjoy much, as our fire pit faced someone's camper and automobile and trust me it was very close. The last thing I want to stare at is someone's mini van. As I said, there were many other sites, and I just wish we'd gotten one of those. It is also nearly 20 minutes in the off season from Acadia and Bar Harbor. We checked out Mt. Desert Campground while we were here and they are right on the water with very private sites...we'll be headed there next time.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the B section...much nicer sites and privacy!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bumblebeeMaine
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Clean restrooms and more private tent sites would help make this a better stay. Restrooms looked like they hadn't been updated since 1983. Loud diesel engine ran from 6 am to 8 am - sounded like a rock crusher nex to my tent.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank tgiffen
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This was our second stay at the Bass Harbor Campground cabins. We stayed in one that was recently built in 2010. Very basic but just right. They have a mini fridge, microwave, gas grill, and coffee maker. The cabin was clean, and perfectly located. The bathhouse is quick two minute walk away, and was always very clean. During our stay the campground was quiet at night, and we could clearly hear the buoy bell by the lighthouse. The office staff are very helpful and friendly. The pool was clean and heated as advertised. Our one disappointment; as well as our kids, was the recreation room. The building is falling apart as was the games and equipment inside. I would of expected a little more out of the rec room. Everything about it is bad. I hope to see some improvements next year, maybe some horseshoe pits too somewhere on the grounds. The kids playground however, has been recently upgraded. Overall we enjoyed our stay and will go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank NewEnglander54
Reviewed 5 July 2011

4th of July weekend at Acadia. Bass Harbor campground was a second choice for us, and after staying there, it still is. The price was good. The showers hot and free, the bathroom adequate. The staff was friendly and helpful. They delivered wood to our site, as we had two motorcycles. Our picnic bench was broken upon arrival, and they brought a replacement in less than half hour. The site was not so good, NO privacy despite the trees. Our lot abutted a "busy" street. I did have a flat grassy place for my tent. The other campers were quiet enough, so no complaints their. Nothing outstanding here, basic tenting accommodations - tents are separated from the big RV's - that was nice. Quiet side of the island, as we expected and enjoyed.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Ann's Point Inn
Ann's Point Inn
#1 of 3 in Bass Harbor
Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency

Been to Bass Harbor Campground? Share your experiences!