“Unique experience”
Review of Bath Iron Works

Ranked #2 of 5 Tours in Bath
More attraction details
Owner description: This complex builds destroyers for the U.S. Navy.
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Unique experience”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Very unique experience to see a Navy ship being built. Our tour guide was a long-term employee, but a very new guide. He was very knowledgeable but need a bit more practice in leading a tour. While we still enjoyed it, I'm sure we would have gotten even more with a more experienced guide.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank MEDPC

Somerville, New Jersey, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Most interesting thing we did on vacation”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We got to see huge ships being built from the ground up. Fabulous! Highly recommended. The trolley is air conditioned and the guide was excited about showing us around and full of information. Tell "Sully" he's the best. I think kids would be facinated. You MUST make reservations ahead of time, small groups only! You can buy tickets on line. We also had a great lobster roll and chowder right on the grounds for lunch, great value and good quality.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Caroline H
Grand Rapids, Michigan
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Secret peek at Navy Ships being built”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This is not my idea of fun but my husband really enjoyed it. The tour guide was less than engaging and I found myself counting beams, crates and workers. However, there is something really cool about seeing how a Navy ship is built. It is awe striking and hard to believe all that goes into putting together the puzzle, called ship!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank fitz49525
Wakefield, New Hampshire
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“An inside view of building a destroyer”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This tram tour travels through-out the navy yard, which is one of the largest employers in the state of Maine. There is a lot going on in the numerous buildings and for someone not knowledgeable on all things Navy,(like me), it was a little technical and I didn't follow everything, but the guide surely knew his stuff!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank NHwanderer
Rochester Hills, Michigan
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A Unique Tour”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

This tour leaves from the Maritime Museum and spends about 45 minutes going through the shipbuilding yard. Our guide, who works there, was very interesting to listen to and it was fascinating to see how they build these modern naval vessels.

They always have several ships in progress, and I only wish that we could have seen one that was nearer to completion, but obviously this depends on the timing of your visit.

Visited September 2012