“Perfect spot to rejuvenate ...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Bath

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bath
The Inn at Bath
Ranked #3 of 5 Bath B&B and Inns
Asheville, North Carolina
“Perfect spot to rejuvenate ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

I arrived at the Inn after a long day of traveling, unable to quite face my 'on the market, being packed' ex-home nearby. Elizabeth made me feel like an old friend, welcoming me warmly, and sending me to bed, one of the most comfortable B&B beds I have ever experienced. The breakfast was delicious and creatively took each and every guest's particular food requests in hand, providing local organic all the way. Bravo! Best place ever.

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own particular charm, with family furniture, great art, interesting artifac...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Selkie33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Killarney, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I am a frequent business traveler to area and when I am able try to stay at Elizabeth Knowlton's Inn at Bath. She is an extremely conscientious and accommodating Innkeeper. The Inn, rooms and common areas are bright, comfortable, spotless and the breakfast service is delicious. I highly recommend. She's also great at recommending places to dine and tour etc.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank GerryLamb
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just wrapped a lovely 2 night stay at the Inn at Bath. This wonderful gem made this quick end of summer escape to Maine just perfect. The rooms were wonderfully appointed and comfortable. The downstairs common areas are the same. Beautiful artwork hangs throughout the inn and several delightful conversations with innkeeper Elizabeth Knowlton revealed fascinating things about the art and the inn. Breakfast was delicious each morning. I would drive back from Boston just to enjoy Elizabeth's lemon blueberry pancakes again!

The Inn at Bath was a happy discovery and also a great base for exploring mid coast Maine. Elizabeth truly makes you feel "at home" in her home. Thank you for a wonderful b and b experience! Karen Gahagan, Salem, MA

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank kag52
Fernandina Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

A detailed, planned B&B hop on the coast of Maine was temporarily run afoul after a visit to the Inn at Bath. Having booked in February, an email from the innkeeper in July bumped us from the rooms we had planned into others. It was stated as an oversight in bookkeeping as a result of double-booking. I still wondered why WE got bumped, not the other parties, since we booked the two rooms so far in advance (6 months). That should have served as a warning, but we stayed the course due to a planned family visit in the area.

We arrived on our scheduled 1-night stay before the dinner hour and found an empty inn. There was no one to greet us, explain the history of the inn, acquaint us to the town -- nothing. We were left to fend for ourselves to find our room based on a "package" left for us. The substitute rooms were dreary, lacking any charm whatsoever. Furnishings looked to be an eclectic gathering from charitable donation rejects. The TV was a 13" CRT (the one in our friend's room only slightly larger) looking like a salvaged security monitor from yesteryear. The rooms were not very clean, our room even having a used towel hung up in the bathroom behind the door and a partially used tube of toothpaste lingering in there as well. There was no bar soap which made taking a bath awkward. Containers of liquid soap were hung on the bath tub wall. To top it off, the Wi-Fi did not reach our room! Instead of multi-routers, a single router with a booster (limited length) was used. It didn't cut it, we were in the dead zone.

The innkeeper's demeanor appeared brusque and quite defensive on my complaints, only taking responsibility for the bathroom condition of the towel and toothpaste tube, which I'm sure the staff heard about later.

I later surmised that the rooms in the upstairs of the main house (our original bookings) were probably better. However, the 2 rooms (another couple with us) that we were given were more akin to ski cabins than a B&B. It just seemed that the innkeeper's heart wasn't in it despite her long-term ownership. The general upkeep of the exterior and interior showed a serious lack of attention and upkeep.

By perspective, the hospitality of the other B&B innkeepers and staff we experienced was so starkly better, that this innkeeper's demeanor seemed distracted and forced-friendly at best. The staff we encountered were friendly enough, but still somewhat perfunctory. The breakfast was certainly unimaginative (scrambled eggs & bacon), but her choice for granola was very good.

All in all, it would have been better for us to have skipped this inn in favor of a slightly longer drive with a 2-night stay in a scheduled Kennebunkport inn instead of the one night planned. We did a total of 4 B&B stops, clearly three diamonds and a piece of coal. I kept apologizing to my friends who had never stayed at B&B's before that this wasn't typical. Luckily, the others made up for it. This inn was about 17% less expensive than a fabulous stay we had in Rockland, but the experience in Rockland was 300% better all around.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
innatbath, Owner at The Inn at Bath, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
This was one kerfuffle after another. In January I took the reservation but did not put it in the calendar. In June I was sending out reminders and realized that I had double booked both of these rooms for the one night that they were to be here. I wrote our guests on June 13th that I had made an error and would have to move them to 2 different rooms. I also told them that I understood if they chose to go elsewhere. They said they were disappointed but they would take the rooms. I also said that if other rooms opened up I would let them know. This did not happen.

When here they asked why it was that the other people didn't get moved instead; the decision was purely a logistical one. The other rooms had booked for 3 and 4 nights in early spring; by the time I found the error in June the only rooms available that night were not available for multiple nights so they would have been in one room the night before, then moved to another for the double booked night, and then back to their original room again. When people book for one night in the summer I do have to make adjustments sometimes to accommodate the schedule, but this was not what happened here- i forgot to put them in the book and did not notice until I was sending out the reminders in June to all of them. I tried to explain, but obviously failed at doing so.

I live here, this is my home as well as my business. I have check-in anytime after 1 pm, but it is set up so that I do not have to be here when guests arrive. Were that to be the case, I would have to be here from 1 on every day, or I would have to have a rigid check-in time- ie: 3-6 pm. I cannot afford to have a staff person here every afternoon and most guests like the flexibility of the procedure as it is. They are notified of this in their confirmation.

I was, and still am, mortified that the towel and toothpaste were in the room. I do not put bar soap in the room, but there is liquid soap dispensers in the shower and one with lotion next to the sink. He said they did not see it. Blue EO bottle full of Lemon and Eucalyptus Organic Hand Soap, guests love it and I love that we are not throwing away bars of soap used for one night and left behind with all the little bottles of half used shampoo. I do have bar soap for those who ask for them and I give them a plastic bag with them so they can take them when they go!.

Yes, the tv's are small, and not flat screen. As I replace them I put them in flat screens, but I have not done so in all of the 8 rooms. And this house is long and rambling; wi-fi is better in the front of the house and the living room than the back and their room was at the very back of the house. I am looking into another router as he suggested when he mentioned it to me.

In defense of B&B's, and me; we are small, family- type operation and cannot compete with the inns, the boutique hotels and the corporations that own a number of B&B's and operate them with managers. A stay at the Inn at Bath is like a visit to friends and family; it is casual and informal. Other B&B's are more formal but still warm and friendly. B&B owners welcome you into and share their homes with you. It is wonderful when you leave feeling that you have spent a few days with old friends and saying you will be back, and it is so very sad when you leave so completely dissatisfied.

I am sorry that I came across as defensive and brusque; I don't think we ever really got passed my first huge mistake.

Elizabeth Knowlton
Innkeeper
Baltimore USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I had the quintessential B and B experience during our stay at this lovely Inn in June. We were in Bath to scope out the wedding venue where our son will be married later this summer. Our hostess, Elizabeth, was wonderful-gracious and very helpful. But it was the welcoming atmosphere that she has created that enabled a very diverse group of guests to meet at her breakfast table and have such a delightful time conversing, sharing stories and travel ideas. Our room was lovely, the bath modern and well-equipped. everything was as described. We had a wonderful time. And we are so glad our friends will fill the Inn over Labor Day for our son's wedding weekend Thanks so much, Elizabeth.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank skb2714
Surry, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

What you will not find at this inn is an impersonal staff or an army of cleaning women in those awful little maid smocks. You will not find the haughty, nose-in-the-air feeling that sometimes comes with inns of this class. You will not find yourself feeling like an anonymous guest at some fancy-pants resort. What you will find is a relaxing retreat. You will feel pampered, but not intruded upon. You will feel at home. You will find that you want to come back.

Arriving at The Inn at Bath is like dropping in on relatives you didn't know you had. Elizabeth, the owner and inn keep, is like your favorite aunt. You know... the cool one. She's energetic and enthusiastic, but not overbearing. She's like that aunt who might say to you, "Have a great time while you're here and I don't care what you do; just don't do anything I'm going to have to tell your mother about. At least not in front of me..." When we arrived, she was just getting out of her car with her dog. We all stood in her kitchen, which also serves as the main entrance for guests, and chatted for 20 minutes about everything under the sun. It really was like showing up at a familiar place after a long absence. "This is your room, extra towels are in there. Cups are in the cupboard, breakfast is in the morning; let me know if you don't eat eggs or bacon. If you have leftovers from dinner, there's room in the fridge, but put your name on them." In addition to this charming welcome, Elizabeth gave us the low-down on all of the best places to eat at, not to eat at and what things to see and do. She's a wealth of knowledge. One only has to look at the "what to do" tab on the inn's website to see what I'm talking about.

As for the particulars, this inn is situated just outside the "downtown" area of Bath on a shady, quaint street. Everything is within walking distance, but somehow, you don't know you're so near to the hubbub. My husband and I stayed in the Fo'c'sle room on the basement level. The room was appointed with a Jacuzzi tub for two, a queen sized bed, private bath and a fireplace. It was lovely. The décor was pretty typical modern New England cottage. The bedroom was furnished with antiques and painted soft sage greens, whites and warm earth tones while the bath featured light paint and classic, mirrored finish accessories. There is nothing too fussy about the place, but it had a truly comfortable, welcoming feel. An advantage of staying in the Fo'c'sle is that it has a private outside entrance onto a stone patio. I enjoyed a bottle of wine there, in a glass borrowed from the kitchen, and read a book. Ah... bliss.

When we went up for breakfast the first day, we found Elizabeth, cheerfully bustling around the kitchen preparing breakfast. Let me tell you, it's worth staying here just for this breakfast. We helped ourselves to deliciously dark, rich coffee and fresh juice, but passed on the fruit, yogurt and homemade granola to save room for what was coming. We DO eat both eggs and bacon and were treated with an open faced BLT. Atop toasted local artisanal bread sat a little pile of micro greens, thick cut bacon, a poached egg and a perfectly warmed tomato slice. It was made to order and it was divine. The only downside was that we were forced to watch the other couple staying at the inn, who had come up first, devour theirs while we waited for ours, drooling. The following day we noshed on ultra-moist, tender blueberry pancakes with enough butter in the batter to make them feel truly naughty, topped with real maple syrup and served with sausage. This breakfast is included in the price of your room. It features the fruit, yogurt and granola and a different hot dish each day. Do not skip it.

I could go on about all of the things that we loved about this place, but there are just too many. When you stay here, you are staying with someone, in a home not at somewhere, in a room. Its geniune and familiar feeling. When we packed our car and turned in our key, I found myself fighting the urge to hug Elizabeth, like that familiar favorite aunt, and promise to visit next summer.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have wifi. Check with the inn keep before booking.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca D
Boxford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just a very nice place to stay…great location, great innkeeper and elegant/rustic rooms….probably not the low cost alternative in town, but worth the money for the experience and for the service….highly recommend….

Room Tip: Dog friendly rooms available...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bath
Hampton Inn Bath Brunswick
Benjamin F. Packard House
Kennebec Inn
Kennebec Inn
#1 of 5 in Bath

Been to The Inn at Bath? Share your experiences!