“You'll love this place...”
Review of The Inn at Bath

The Inn at Bath
Ranked #4 of 6 Bath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2009

When I moved to Maine little did I realize that I'd often play innkeeper myself. My family suddenly thought of my home as a vacation spot... when my entire family converges on Bath I will happily put overflow guests at the Inn At Bath.

Every one of them has raved about the accommodations. The rooms are luxurious and private with clean modern bathrooms.

The best review though may come for the breakfasts and the relaxed atmosphere.

I find Elizabeth (the innkeeper) to be charming, friendly and fun.

This place could change the way you view staying at a B & B.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank TomBath_ME

Reviewed 7 September 2009

Inn at Bath is a quintessential New England inn on a major street a short walk from downtown Bath. It's worth taking a stroll around town just to look at the homes of the former sea captains and enjoy the ambience. The inn itself is spacious and comfortable, and innkeeper Elizabeth was very hospitable both on the phone when we made the reservation and during our stay. She directed us to a really good restaurant down on the river where we had an excellent seafood dinner.
Since my daughter went to Bowdoin I had been to Bath a number of times, but had never stayed there. I'm glad we did and we will return to the Inn at Bath.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Medstrike
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Driving through mid-coast Maine on our way further down the coast, we had only one night to stay at the Inn at Bath. It was enough time, however, to enjoy a charming room, stunningly decorated common rooms, and a delicious breakfast in an exquisite dining room. Elizabeth, the innkeeper was very friendly, and helpful. We arrived at dinnertime in a rainstorm, and after check-in, she quickly secured a much appreciated dinner reservation for us at a good local restaurant. Our short stay was enjoyable, and I would recommend this inn to others.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2009

As other reviews have mentioned the breakfast was tasty and the rooms well decorated and cleaned. We appreciated much less the disciplinarian approach of the owner who appears to run a tight ship with little room for personalized courtesy. In spite of suggesting we would be able to negotiate a later checkout, she knocked at our door at 11:08am requesting immediate check-out. Since we'd arrived at midnight the night before, and paid a premium for the room, we found the tone inappropriate and unfriendly, and would not return to this inn.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
innatbath, Innkeeper/Owner at The Inn at Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2009

When this reservation was made 10 days earlier, the guests mentioned that they would like a later check-out. I said that we could determine whether that was possible when they were here; it would depend on the demands on housekeeping that day I made arrangements for a midnight check-in for them, but I did not write down that they wanted to have a later check-out, if possible. (I do think that thier arrival time was part of the problem. To them, they were only here from midnight until 11:00 am, so asking for more time seems reasonable. But I cannot put a minimum time used schedule on a room, or I would soon have a bookkeeping nightmare!) 10 days later, I did not remember that they had asked. My error, for sure. We were full, and turning over 6 of our 8 rooms for 6 new reservations that day arriving as early as 1:00 pm. They came to breakfast and returned to their room without mentioning a late checkout to me or my staff. I had a staff person ready to remake the room so I knocked and reminded them that check-out was at 11:00. Again, they did not remind me, they simply said that they needed more time. This has been a great lesson for me to write everything down; we are juggling way too many things to think we can remember them all. And I hope that in the future, guests will remind an innkeeper when they have made a special request. I am certainly sorry this occured, and hope that I've not soured their opinion of choosing a B & B.

Reviewed 11 December 2008

We spent a few nights here after Thanksgiving to recuperate and enjoy the holiday decorations in Bath. Loved our room with a view to the river and a fireplace. The breakfast was delicious and the room is large and sunny. There are two other rooms to sit and read. The common rooms were decorated and festive. Elizabeth, our very friendly innkeeper, suggested towns to visit, stores for shopping, and restaurants. All in all, I loved staying here so much I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 October 2008

My husband and I did the inn thing for many years and then we tired of it. Too many cutesy places, too many converstations over breakfast about where you're from and what else you're doing, too many hovering innkeepers... we ultimately decided that we preferred our privacy traveling and went the hotel route. I'm so glad we gave it one more chance!

While visiting colleges in the Brunswick/Lewiston area we stayed at the Inn and Bath and loved it. Beautiful decor (antiquey but not country), wonderful breakfast (cornmeal pancakes with bluberries and of course, real Maine maple syrup, fruit salad, granola), and a bonus while we were there: a showing of a local fiber artist's creations. We were welcomed to the wine and cheese reception and had to opportunity to talk with the artist.

The innkeeper, Elizabeth Knowlton, was very helpful and just delightful. In her email confirmation she sent a list of things to do in the area along with suggestions of where to eat for both lunch and dinner. A nice touch in planning your trip. I only wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We stayed at the inn for a late summer weekend getaway. We have stayed at many inns in the area and like to experience a different inn on each visit. The inn itself was lovely, as was our room, but not nearly as nice an experience as some others we've stayed in. There was nothing major to gripe about but there were some minor annoyances. The tv was so small that it was barely watchable from the bed, the water in the shower was lukewarm and the milk at breakfast one morning was starting to turn. All in all, we enjoyed our stay, and the the negatives would not preclude us from staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bath
Hampton Inn Bath Brunswick
Residence Inn Bath Brunswick Area
Best Western Plus Brunswick Bath
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#10 of 11 in Brunswick
Pryor House Bed and Breakfast
Benjamin F. Packard House

Been to The Inn at Bath? Share your experiences!