“Great, classic steakhouse”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington Street
Reviewed 25 June 2014

It was just what you would expect in a great classic steakhouse....warm, rich wood decor, comfortable seating, excellent service and good food.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I usually order the lazy lobster with garlic smashed potatoes. The bread that is served before the meal is piping hot and melts and in your mouth. The lobster, of course, is heavenly.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have eaten at the Admiral a number of times and have always been very pleased with the food. The quality of the meat served here rivals any of the expensive steak houses such as Ruth Chris'. Absolutely a great place to eat.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I'm a retired, ex-patriot New Yorker. I'd be surprised if any readers remember a Midtown East Side steakhouse called the "Pen and Pencil". John Bruno, it's founder passed away several years ago. Regrettably, the Pen and Pencil followed John soon after. I won't go "on and on" about it. If you'd ever eaten there you know how lucky you were. If you never ate there, I'm so sorry! John served the best steak dinners on the planet. He even (so the menu said) had his own herd of cattle from which he drew his beef. I'll never forget this place and still talk about it in glowing terms.
For the past 30 years, I've been on an Odyssey to find any eatery serving steak dinners even close to Mr. Bruno's. I think I found it; in of all places, Bath, Maine: Admiral Steakhouse.
Bath, ME is a picturesque, historic shipbuilding town in Mid-Coast Maine. It's worth the trip, even if you don't go there to eat. But, if you do go, you should check out the "Admiral". It's not the Pen and Pencil, but "close"; and easily the best steakhouse in Maine.
The place is a bit smaller than I imagined, but adequate. There were one or two, private dining rooms which expands its capacity. When my wife and I entered, we thrown back to earlier times with white table cloths, and rich, mahogany walls...very "clubby" and welcoming.
Upon ordering our drinks, our waitress (Zoe) brought us delicious, piping-hot bread laced with Asiago cheese.
I ordered the lettuce wedge salad, a typical steakhouse offering: Crisp iceburg lettuce loaded with Blue Cheese dressing, dotted with pieces of tomato, bacon, and chunks of Blue Cheese. My wife ordered the Escargot... a little disappointing because it was bathed in a vinegar dressing rather than the usual garlic and butter. She finished it, but wouldn't order it again the next time we go back.
Then, the star of the evening...our entree. She and I had the same thing - 2" thick Filet Mignons, cooked a perfect medium rare with a crusty outside and fork tender. A number of sauces were available. We both had the Bearnaise...excellent. With dinner, we had a mountain of garlic mashed potatoes, and a side of creamed spinach. It's unusual for me to finish my meal, but I made a point to consume every bit of the steak. We were absolutely satisfied with the quality of the food and the service. We did leave, however, with "doggie bags" loaded with the garlic mashed!
With one minor gripe: If you don't adore vinegar, stay away from the escargot; but don't stay away from the Admiral Inn.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Three of us went to this restaurant for our friends birthday . I am not a big eater but I was hungry when we left. The salad was supposed to be the full size and I received the petite.
Potatoes were cold , my guests steak 12 oz sirloin was well done and sent back twice...she ordered med rare. I do not eat meat so I stayed with pasta primavera and my husband had 6oz sirloin tips,which he said were very tender. Thank goodness! No dessert, 1 glass of Chardonnay and 1 cup of verrrry good coffee. My husband drank water. The rolls were delicious but we requested more and were finished eating before they arrived. Our bill was over $100.00 and I asked if perhaps we were charged for returning of the steak. It was adjusted because of the salad but didn't make much of a difference.

1  Thank Eileen W