“Great food, pleasant atmosphere”
Review of J R Maxwell & Co.

J R Maxwell & Co.
Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Visited with family last night. Warm bread, salad, and Philly cheese steak soup were tasty. Loved the crab stuffed mushroom appetizer and broiled seafood dinner. Too full to try dessert.

There are newer reviews for J R Maxwell & Co.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I were staying at the Hampton Inn in Bath on a recent trip to New England to see the fall foliage. The desk clerk recommended J R Maxwell's for dinner. This was a wonderful recommendation. The restaurant is just a short walk from the hotel in the town of Bath. My wife had the broccoli & cheese soup and a salad which she said was excellent. I had the fried haddock. I had never had haddock before and this was superb. It was lightly breaded and cooked perfectly. Had a great flavor. The service was a little slow. I think there was only one server for our section of the restaurant. I did not mind, though, because the food was well worth it. Prices seemed to be reasonable.

1  Thank dniv67
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We came here after a long day of travel and had a great meal and beers. Sat at the bar with locals and had a great bartender. This was one of my husbands favorite stops on a 5 day trip. We also loved the town of Bath.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We drove up from Portland, part of a New England foliage tour from the UK. We stumbled upon this great place, and from first to last experienced true New England hospitality. We ate the excellent chowder (and they aren't all the same!) and followed that with Lobster Rolls to die for (and they certainly aren't all the same!). You might think this was simple food, but it was absolutely fresh and absolutely delicious, and the salad and the dressing with it were outstanding - what a difference that makes. This was our best Sunday Lunch of the trip, honestly. I just wish we lived nearby, we'd go there every week.... Oh, and the staff were so friendly and smiling, with just the perfect level of attention. Oh lucky ye of Bath, how I envy ye.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Local friends guided us to Maxwell's when we wanted a light lunch. They bragged about their Chowder and we were obliged to try it. We were blown away by the richness of ingredients. Nice selection of draft beers, which seemed to be the perfect beverage to complement the chowder. The rest of the menu looked unremarkable, but we didn't taste anything else, so that may be unfair. We will definitely stop in again when visiting Bath.