“Great Hidden Spot”

Three Tides Waterfront Bar
Ranked #1 of 2 Nightlife in Belfast
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Great hidden spot by the Marshall Wharf Brewery. Beer garden below and great deck. Food and drinks were good and it stays open late!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

The atmosphere at Three Tides is laid back, casual, easy-going. Maybe that is an effort to offset the schoolmarmish wait staff and the laughably bullying owner, who picked a fight with my husband, and then, when he found out he was up against more than he had anticipated, walked away in a huff.
We are part year locals, and have come many times to Three Tides, and have brought many visitors– but last night was the first time we encountered the owner, and it was truly bizarre. I must acknowledge that we were not blameless in what I will call the Great Peanut Affair – my husband committed the mortal sin of going out to the car to get a can of peanuts to eat with his beer. On the way back in, he was reprimanded by the waitress, who announced that they had a policy against allowing customers to bring in food other than what they served there at the bar. But we just didn’t feel like oysters, and the only other snacks they offered were some sort of German stuff that doesn’t appeal to us but apparently fits with their “biergarten” theme. So my husband said, ok, I’m just going to finish this handful, but it would be better if you offered a wider range of snacks to choose from. She then marched over and told him, again, that she was “not kidding” about the policy. I’m not sure if she was suggesting that he actually spit out what he had in his mouth or not. OK, OK, we heard you the first time. At this point, I took the can of peanuts and put in on the bench next to me, out of harms’ way. But I was not quick enough for her, because two minutes later, she marched over with reinforcements, in the form of the owner, who, was just itching for a fight: “You say you’re not eating peanuts, but my employee says you are, so which of you is lying?” My husband is not easily flustered so he just calmly replied that the owner had misunderstood and that no one was “lying”. But the owner, undeterred, when on to ask “what other restaurant do you know of that allows you to bring food?” And at this point I replied, “Young’s”. He then muttered something about Young’s being a BYOB (as if that had anything to do with food) and then walked away with his tail between his legs.
We will not be back there. Yes, they have a nice harborside location, but we have a choice where to spend our money – as do the fifty or so guests we host over the course of the summer and whom we will no longer bring there. My husband and I are not really beer people, though some of our beer-drinking guests do like the Marshall’s Wharf beer. But you can buy that and head elsewhere. Belfast has many more welcoming harborside dining options where you don’t have to put up with an arrogant, rude owner.

21  Thank PhiladelphiaEileen
Reviewed 16 August 2013

A year ago we were at Three Tides a couple of times in he summer and service was very good! This month we went back twice ( Aug 2013). The first I thought we just got a poor waitress so we went back the next week with friends and the same happened. The service was very slow and te waitress was again poor. It's not like the kitchen staff are making goumet meals. The wait staff has changed it looks like except for 1 woman who is very good. But we don't plan on going back and will pass the word when our friends come to town. There are many other places I advise you to go in Belfast!

14  Thank Kris448
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

This particular bar is an uppity snot nosed place that is very unfriendly to anyone who is not 30 years old or under. The owner David and his wife are extremely arrogant and hard to deal with stay away!

16  Thank Peter K
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We finally made it back to the Three Tides again and it was just a good as our first impression. The bar is small and busy. There is a tiny kitchen that provides some pretty impressive tapas and light meals...but the reason to go is the beer. Three Tides has an impressive selection of craft beers made next door at the Marshalls Wharf Brewery. They have beers to fit the tastes of the chewy stout lovers to the crystal clear IPA fans. We like the dark beers so, over the course of two visits, we sampled all of their stouts and porters and even tried the brown and red ale. All the varieties were well balanced and some managed to incorporate innovative flavors without a bump.
The bartenders and servers knew a lot about beer and seemed proud of their products. One of them told us all about the Beer and Mussels Festival that is upcoming on October 13th to celebrate Three Tides fourth [I think] anniversary. Last year they had about 40 beers on tap and about 600 guests.
The deck is now open and overlooks Belfast Harbor. It provides a sunny quieter alternative to the cozy bar.

5  Thank judi h