“Best find in Maine !"”

Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I almost hate to share this secret- best hotel in the best location of Coastal Maine
that has an awesome view of Penobscot Bay from each room-and at Comfort Inn
prices ! We paid only $134 per night for a King Room on the 3rd floor with a giant
flat screen hi-def TV, a balcony overlooking the bay, free breakfast, microwave,fridge,
and a great bathroom. Room was spanking clean with all the latest amenities.
Room #309 has a great view ( request a 3rd floor room for best view). I read one
review that indicated that the hotel had a bad smell. I checked thoroughly and the hotel
smelled great in late August, even the wonderful pool/Jacuzzi area. The bar & restaurant
area is nice and all the staff were super friendly and helpful. The best dining spot nearby
is outdoor dining- Young's Lobster pound located 1/4 mile away-look for signs on Rt. 1.
Of a week's worth of lobster dining, Young's Lobster Pound had the best Lobster- a
"Shore Dinner" complete with sunset bay views from our picnic table (BYOB). You get a big, tender & delicious
1 1/2 lb. Lobster steamed & cracked nicely with melted butter, a dozen of the best steamed clams I ever tasted, the sweetest/tenderest corn on the cob, a big bowl of
amazing buttery Lobster stew, oyster crackers & chips all for $28.00 ! After trying lobster in Bar Harbor, Boothbay Harbor, & Kennebunkport, I learned to realize that this is a DEAL
because the other places charged almost as much for a small 1 lb. Lobster uncracked
& one ear of corn with nothing else. Young's Lobster had the best taste too. Belfast
is an adorable coastal town, centrally located to all the best sightseeing, so you can make the Comfort Inn Belfast your base of operations and enjoy the comfort of elevators,
A/C and bigscreen TV. I wish I'd stayed there longer in fact & explored Belfast more with
it's Victorian & Neo-Gothic mansions. Nearby Searsport & Bucksport were gorgeous too
and less touristy than Camden/Rockport. At the Comfort Inn, pets are only allowed on the first floor, so request a 3rd floor or 2nd floor room- there was no pet smell at all anywhere. I will look forward to staying here again- great value for little $$. Not the case
elsewhere in coastal Maine. So go, and trust the word of this usually finicky traveler !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SEAJourney
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Thank you for writing about your stay at the Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and efficient and the facilities clean and comfortable. We continue to reinvest in the facility in both repairs and upgrades. And I am fortunate to work with people who really care about our guests' experiences. I hope that, should your travels bring you back to Belfast, you will allow us to serve as your host.

Reviewed 1 September 2009

Well, it didn't smell like poop when we were there , thank goodness. This was the cleanest room we've ever rented. There is a cute lil rocky beach to explore whenever you like, we had it all to ourselves. (Little bit longer of a walk than it looks like,lol) Very nice view & pool. They have a sauna, good breakfast, elevator, didn't use the bar or restaurant. Decent rate, about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. to Bar Harbor. I was pretty put off by the fact we'd have had to RENT a mini-fridge and or microwave for $15/PER DAY (!). It would have driven the cost of the room over my budget, so we didn't and that was a pain; keeping ice on our drinks & not being able to reheat leftovers. The bathroom was nice, & room decor. Newspaper at the door every a.m. also a treat. I would definately recommend this hotel for visiting midcoast Maine based on the room & housekeeping alone. (just bring your own appliances lol)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank april71

Reviewed 27 August 2009

On 8/15 check in the desk people were 'unfriendly', not sharing hotel info, breakfast, hotel info, etc. ALL of the following Desk Associates were extremely helpful and friendly.
We (2 seniors) were assigned 201 and each of the following 2 mornings were awaken by dogs barking. at 7AM, below our window. We had intended to walk to the water until observing several dogs "marking" the walk area and also leaving other treasures.
We found the Housekeeping crews to be very efficient and friendly.
We had an average dinner in the restaurant and later found the bill to be incorrect. Foolishly, the following evening we ordered pizza for our room and later became ill with stomach problems. The same person served us.
The room was clean, the view was lovely, the water access was - mared. I'd suggested staying at the Comfort Inn but perhaps would recommend dining in Belfast. I'd suggest you request a room apart from the pet area. If you have a pet it should be very acceptable for you.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank waktravel

Thank you for writing. I am sorry that the pet owners were not responsible during your stay. Normally, we find them to be very responsible and responsive. I am also sorry that your greeting was not good, as well as your experience in the restaurant. We have since changed over the culinary staff and now get good reviews on the restaurant and service staff. I hope that you will try us again. I am confident that you will enjoy your experience.

Reviewed 4 August 2009

If it didn't smell like poop all over the hotel, this would be an ideal relatively inexpensive place to stay in this part of the Maine Coast. The views from all rooms are beautiful, and its about 1/2 mile from Young's, a terrific lobster pound.

But lord, does it stink. It's partially the chlorine from the indoor pool (never a good idea) and partially the restaurant, with a healthy dollop of "run-down carpet". But it's amazingly pungent. Other guests commented upon it.

Even with the odor issues, I'd return, but if you're sensitive to smells I'd pass.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dzop

Thank you for writing about your stay at the Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly. I can't explain the odor that you experienced during your stay. Since your stay, however, we moved from a chlorine based pool to a saline based pool. Those who find the smell of chlorine unpleasant will experience less. We continue to reinvest in the facility in both repairs and upgrades, having replaced the carpet that you mention. I hope that, should your travels bring you back to Belfast, you will allow us to serve as your host.

Reviewed 16 June 2009

Stayed at the Ocean Edge Comfort Inn and LOVED it. They allowed my travelling buddy and best dog to stay with me which was great. The staff were friendly and so helpful. Even when I told them that the headboard fell off the wall-don't ask!! And the access to the outside for midnight pit stops for my little buddy was excellent. They don't have room service but the restaurant was only a couple of doors away from my room which was okay. But when you ask for well-done, it is WELL-DONE. Even had a tv channel from Canada which was great for a travelling Canuck. The complimentary breakfast was on the thin side but I would definately recommend this hotel. The view, the service, the staff and the wonderfully comfortable beds make this what a hotel should be. Two thumbs up!!

• Stayed: June 2009

Reviewed 29 March 2009

From begininng to end, had a wonderful time. Front desk, awesome, answered all my question. Room was great, bedroom, seperated from living room, Great view. Located mid-state, conveinent to all the places we wanted to see. Continental Breakfast , excellent you won't go hungry.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 February 2009

I received great service from the desk clerk, sarah. She did much more than I had a right to expect. I had to change my travel plans at the last minute. I suddenly had to make a meeting in a strange city. She found the correct location for me and printed up a copy of the directions from mapquest. she also printed a copy of documents that I was going to need. She did all this cheerfully while the desk was very busy. She had a great attitude so rarely found today.

• Stayed: February 2009

Thank you for writing about your stay at the Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge. I am pleased that you found Sara, at the front desk friendly and efficient and the facilities clean and comfortable. We continue to reinvest in the facility in both repairs and upgrades. And I am fortunate to work with people who really care about our guests' experiences. I hope that, should your travels bring you back to Belfast, you will allow us to serve as your host.

Barry Asalone

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belfast
Colonial Gables Oceanfront Village
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ledges By the Bay
Ledges By the Bay
#4 of 10 in Rockport

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!