“Has potential”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #9 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Inn is lovely with some real charm but is starting to need some care and attention. Pat was very kind but seems like she may have a lot on her hands in keeping up with the property's deferred maintenance and also managing the staff. The breakfast staff was very kind and helpful but we were more than a little jarred to leave by one of the side entrances to go out to the parking lot to find cigarette butts strewn on the porch and a huge bucket for the cigarette butts right there by the door. It did nothing for the ambiance which is waning. Additionally when we arrived Friday night some of the stairs were not shoveled off yet and we were greeted with a very cold room, which Pat assured us would come up to temperature very soon. It was comfortable after we returned from dinner 3 hrs. later but not at all warm. Also, the shade was drawn in the window(because it was right beneath the deck stairs(Room #14) and it made for a very dark room. I would suggest some of that frosted window applique that would let light in but protect privacy with the ability to pull the shade after dark. There was a tv tucked in the corner with the cords handing down and a makeshift closet bar beneath that did nothing to add to the ambiance. The bed seemed too large for the room with the frame being one that you could hang curtains on. I would tone down the bed frame, and add an armoire that would hide the tv and/or hanging clothes. There was only one night table to one side of the bed; I might ad a second one for 2 guests. I used a chair to put my books and glasses for the evening.
Wonderful architecture but attention to detail is lacking. The breakfast buffet was very good but not outstanding. I would stay again but will probably try other B&B's before going back.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room in the main house as opposed to the barn in the back although I didn't se...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim F

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I think it is lovely- but needs to be a little cleaner- beautiful house but if you run a place like that you need to clean a room a day= paint woodwork and dust - shovel steps so guest aren't worried about falling - keep up with the appearance - brings people back - house has so many assets but definitely needs to be fussed with a little more lots of dust - should be meticulous - welcoming and clean!! Pat your welcoming just fuss a little more you have a beautiful place and you don't need to share your troubles with your guests!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MollyMiddleton
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My boyfriend and I went on a "getaway" to Bethel. We loved our visit to the Victoria Inn! The owner upgraded us for free and our room was perfect. The cleanliness of the place was the most important to me, and I felt that the bathroom and the bed were clean and fresh. The bed was comfortable and it was nice and quiet at night for sleeping. We were pleasantly surprised at our breakfast options! Eggs, bacon, sausage, amazing oatmeal and pumpkin breads, fresh fruit, orange juice and coffee... One morning there was delicious blueberry stuffed french toast and the next, an amazing breakfast bake! It was great to prepare us for our day of skiing!

I noticed some of the other posts mentioned cigarette smoke. I did smell the smoke from our bedroom on Saturday night, but honestly I think it was from people smoking outside, which is out of the inn keeper's control. Otherwise our room did not smell like smoke and we were in the front room.

It was great to be right outside of Sunday River. We were only 25 minutes or so from the mountain, and there were plenty of restaurants around.

I loved the character of the place and the friendliness of the staff. ThankWe hope to come back as soon as we can. Honestly I have never stayed at a B&B, but after this experience I will definitely be going back!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

If you want a stress free place to stay, then this is the place! The owner is there to greet you at check in and makes you feel like your home. I just love the high ceilings and décor of the house. I loved the stay and without a doubt will return. Breakfast was awesome and healthy. See you next year Pat.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights to do some skiing at nearby Sunday River Ski Resort. The pictures online definitely don't do the inn justice. Our room was a little worn/dated but it was clean and comfortable. There were freshly baked cookies in the afternoon, which were perfect after a long day skiing. The breakfast every morning was delicious with several choices. And I can't say enough good things about the innkeeper Pat. She was sweet and welcoming. We had a mishap during our stay (lost car keys while skiing) and she was completely understanding and did her best to help us out. We will definitely stay here again next visit! Great value!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

From the moment we first arrived and were greeted by Pat to the time we checked out we were always made to feel at home. The Inn was quite charming and inviting. Excellent breakfast and just a relaxing and wonderfully stay. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Delicious homemade granola and homemade pumpkin bread available for breakfast (amongst other things). Cookies were put out every night, and they were really tasty too. Very friendly innkeeper who would always say hi.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Royalty Inn
The Jolly Drayman at The Briar Lea Inn
The Inn at the Rostay
The Inn at the Rostay
#4 of 15 in Bethel

Been to The Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!